Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Dont get smug, our a/c bill is $400 a month and I am still hot. If I could run a/c the way I wanted, it would be like $800 a month. I am asking my dad to buy a window a/c unit so I can cool my room to 75 and the central a/c can be off because my parents tolerate heat better than I do.

When I relocate, my a/c bill will be 1/4th of south FL and my heating bill will be no more than $200 a month in the winter somewhere like Oil city and thats a fact. I cant wait to leave hot south FL!
Yeah, but you have more than 3000 sf- few homes are that large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
I have a 1000 sq/ft 2b 1 bath home. We have city water and on my last bill I was charged 5.36 for water and 1.62 for a water base charge and this is higher than I normally pay by a dollar. But I do see a sewar charge of 18.21 so i guess if you include that then it is probably around what you would expect?

Electric wise I get charged .10 per KWH (I think it just went up this month by .01) and used 1153 for a total of 115.30 plus 12.00 for garbage. So all together my last bill was for 173.33.

I was a little off but I still think this is the cheapest that I have seen so far.
CMJ....you are doing great! I can't believe we live so close and yet pay so much more ....that's Progress Energy for you!

And the water! That's fantastic...I've lived in Winter Park and/or Orlando for 25 years and NEVER paid less than 35.00 a month for water.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Dont get smug, our a/c bill is $400 a month and I am still hot. If I could run a/c the way I wanted, it would be like $800 a month. I am asking my dad to buy a window a/c unit so I can cool my room to 75 and the central a/c can be off because my parents tolerate heat better than I do.

When I relocate, my a/c bill will be 1/4th of south FL and my heating bill will be no more than $200 a month in the winter somewhere like Oil city and thats a fact. I cant wait to leave hot south FL!

I wasn't getting smug - I was getting a little excited. Yea, my heating bill is around $400.00 a month (never lower - usually between 4-500), PLUS my electric bill is over $260.00 per month. That is roughly $700.00 per month WITHOUT water, cable, phone and whatever.
It's just nice to know that I will not be paying that much each month.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 PM

121 posts, read 504,116 times
Watch out it you get in an area with Teco power. They have no rhyme or reason for your power use. A couple years ago we got increasing bills up to the $800 mark. Complained and they dropped in half. We had two of our daughters grow up and move out and the bill went up.

Last edited by riverviewnative; 03-13-2007 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 11:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewnative View Post
Watch out it you get in an area with Teco power. They have no rhyme or reason for your power use. A couple years ago we got increasing bills up to the $800 mark. Complained and they dropped in half. We had two of our daughters grow and move out and the bill went up.
You can walk out on any given day and read your meter. Check it a few days in a row and see what you are using, it's no mystery or a figure they pick from space. Stop sounding like such a victim, match you figures with theirs. Your bill varies sometimes depending on when it was read. I sometimes get a bill that covers 27 days and sometimes 33. It is a running count and always evens out. I think they should not even read it every month. They should read one month and estimateit the next saving labor and money and pass the savings on to the customer.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:06 AM

37 posts, read 121,715 times
Stop sounding like such a victim, match you figures with theirs

We have a fenced it yard, and many, many months our bill is marked "unable to read meter, ESTIMATE".
Funny how one guy will read it with binoculars one month, and the guy the next month can't figure it out.
Oh yes, and calling Teco to tell them they are wrong will surely help. I can just hear them now "Oh, we are so sorry Mrs. Jones, it was our bad, we made a mistake, your figures are correct, let us refund you $100.00!" HA! What a joke!

I really hope you get the ol' estimate one month. When it doubles for no reason at all, you could be their next victim!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 AM

121 posts, read 504,116 times
Default Really?

Wow that is a news flash. I have only lived on this land for 25 years and I had no idea. I built the power pole the meter sits in so the last thing I need from you is telling me how it works, They tell you to do an energy survey. Our bill was higher when the hurricanes went through and we used our generator for a week. What is your last name Teco? I have turned them into the public service commishion and their attitude and rates changed in a hurry So go ahead Tom Teco and think all you want that it is all above board. I know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You can walk out on any given day and read your meter. Check it a few days in a row and see what you are using, it's no mystery or a figure they pick from space. Stop sounding like such a victim, match you figures with theirs. Your bill varies sometimes depending on when it was read. I sometimes get a bill that covers 27 days and sometimes 33. It is a running count and always evens out. I think they should not even read it every month. They should read one month and estimateit the next saving labor and money and pass the savings on to the customer.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:08 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Guess you missed my post...our hot water heater and stove are propane. We do not have natural gas available -- I much prefer gas over electric for cooking and having hot water!

And I'm not in a trailer park.

Also, we have a well to irrigate the yard; our regular water bill is about $10/mo.

And we keep our hot tub going most of the year which is heated by electric.
No, I didn't miss your post - but I see you use PROPANE, and I said does anyone in FL use NATURAL gas.

Does anyone in FL have NATURAL gas, for heating, hot water, etc. Hot water heats so faster than electric.

Is natural gas not available in FL? everyone just mentions electric bills.

And, no I'm not talking about about mobile homes. Those are far too dangerous to live in.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
My parents have natural gas, they are located in Westwood Lakes. It has not been installed in South Florida since the 70's though. Natural gas heaters were a common fixture in homes built from the 50's to the 70's.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
I wasn't getting smug - I was getting a little excited. Yea, my heating bill is around $400.00 a month (never lower - usually between 4-500), PLUS my electric bill is over $260.00 per month. That is roughly $700.00 per month WITHOUT water, cable, phone and whatever.
It's just nice to know that I will not be paying that much each month.

Then you are paying waaaaaaaaaay too much. When I relocate up north, I expect to pay $100-150 for heating and another $50-100 for electric monthly. I will ask the seller what he pays and this is what ill be paying. I would move out and relocate elsewhere if I was paying $700 a month. No way will I put up with this!

were you setting the heat waaaaaaaaay up to like 75?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida