Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,952 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, and I moved here right before Hurricane Wilma hit, you think ICE storms suck? Ha! My Dad talks of floods up there in Fort Wayne still, but you should deal with a ten foot storm surge, and power being out for DAYS! Not to mention, that well, insurance is much higher because of it... Sorry had to drop that one in!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 15,230 times
I've lived in Belleair Beach for 2 years now and must say the heat isn't as bad as people say it is in the summer. I work inland in Clearwater and it can get pretty hot, but living by the beach it's at least 5 degrees cooler and we always have a really nice breeze in Belleair Beach. It's humid, but like I said, if you like heat, you get used to it. I grew up in Wisconsin and it's a drier colder climate with pretty brief (but fun summers. If you don't mind a little humidity the weather honestly isn't that bad here. When I got here I couldn't figure out what the fuss was about with the weather in the summer. I love it. By the way, Orlando is waaaay hot! At least here you have the breeze if you live in the islands.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Wow these posts are mean. I would say you should definitely move to Florida as a Yankee (I did but stay on the coast because inland can be pretty scary. I live on the beach and the worst I've seen is these huge palmetto bugs down here and a couple of black widow spiders. No gators, no crazy "rednecks", it's paradise on earth really. Driving outside of the barrier islands can be odd.. but I make sure to not go where I know I wouldn't be welcome.. like north of Tarpon Springs. Please dont' be discouraged by negative posts. We love it here and would never move.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM

I agree - the preconception that everyone in FL is poor couldn't be further from the truth. I live near Clearwater Beach (actually in Belleair Beach) and I've never seen so many well-off people. Huge homes, nice cars, and people basically living the good life.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 AM

I have family in Columbus and I agree - it's ROUGH. Horrible crime and nothing to do. Move to Florida. There are A LOT of transpants from Ohio here and other Midwest States. Everytime we go out we meet people who are originallyfrom the midwest. The coastal areas of Florida are like NY or LA: at least half of the people are not originally from Florida. They came here for the weather and laidback style of life away from sliding around in snow and being cold all the time.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Try Belleair Beach - it has the lowest crime in Tampa Bay area.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Okay psycho calm down. If people want to risk hurricanes let them. I took the risk and can afford to rebuild if need be. Been here 2 years and haven't had to yet. If one comes I'll rebuild again. It is worth the risk. There's a risk to take to live in Paradise near water but why live in a bubble? In the midwest if you live in a nice subdivision you're VERY likely to get hit by a tornado too. That doesn't mean you move to the inner city. No, you enjoy living in the outlying suburbs out in the country and take your chances.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,499 times
I am also with ya I am sooooo tired of spending 15 min. every morning getting coats on, hats gloves and boots, what a chore esp with kids!!LOL I say do whats in your heart if you feel that this is what you want or need to do then do it, don't let those other people scare you, in all reality their is crime everywhere, the town I live has 1 sex offender for every 90 people, nice. Theirs alot of pety theft as well. My dh and I are wanting to move down hear also. Bring on the beaches I say!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times

The beaches are waiting for you!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Floridabound, I hope you've found your way to Florida and I hope you're loving the experience. It has so much to offer... so much more than just weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida