U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,580 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

The problem I see here isn't the RIGHT TO WORK law. But the employers ability to terminate (Fire) an employee without giving any reason why, AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT. That is the real issue. Most employers see this as a RIGHT TO FIRE state than a RIGHT TO WORK; Right to work affects Union laborers and labor groups. Don't get side tracked by this. As Floridians we have to spread and educate others on this misconception, some persons may not want to join a union but they sure want some reliabilty from employers playing with peoples livelyhoods and family financial needs.

Push to get your local congressmen and senators to fight for more RIGHTS to keep your work and secure your employment. I congratulate all of you keeping a good and positive thread like this one. Make this next election years new hot topic. As we Floridians, we love our state, we love our people, and our homes. Never give up without a good fight. You have the RIGHT TO KEEP YOUR WORK. A.K.A. AT-WILL employement, Florida gives the employer the right to end the employment relationship at ANY time, with or without cause, with or without notice.

So remember, the issue is not that its RIGHT TO WORK, but AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT that is the issue. Spread the word.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 AM
 
1,572 posts, read 3,806,534 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
You are really stretching it...

No, Union's kill companies...take a look at what's happening with the auto industry, they are largely to blame.

I've lived in right to work states for a long time and think they are just fine. An employer should be able to give you the boot anytime and you should be able to quit anytime.
I disagree about Unions. GM and Chrysler's problems have less to do with unions, and more to do with the fact they make vehicles that, increasingly, people do not want to buy. If they made fuel efficient cars that were cool, like the Japanese, they would be doing alot better. Japanese automakers OTOH, take a longer-range approach beyond immediate profits.

It would be nice if Florida did respect workers rights here. People should get politicly active, that is the only solution. Sunshine alone doesn't create a good standard of living. I believe the real solution will be to remake Florida's tax structure so it isn't quite such a big giveaway to the wealthy and corporations, and the state government actually spend some money on infrastructure and keeping talented but struggling people in the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 AM
 
12,869 posts, read 13,718,988 times
Reputation: 4453
i totally agree with leaving florida. in our county, we have had a surge in illegal immigration because we had a surge in building, and a lot of american construction jobs were lost to illegal immigrants who would work under the table for lower wages. it is impossible to compete with people that do not pay taxes on their wages and can work for less. unions have done nothing to address this issue, so i do not think that they would help florida at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 05:34 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 7,459,177 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarado68 View Post
TYou have the RIGHT TO KEEP YOUR WORK. A.K.A. AT-WILL employement, Florida gives the employer the right to end the employment relationship at ANY time, with or without cause, with or without notice.

So remember, the issue is not that its RIGHT TO WORK, but AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT that is the issue. Spread the word.
I have no problem with your theory, as long as the worker is the one paying the bills, worrying about overhead, worrying about not getting a paycheck, working overtime without expecting more pay, worrying about all the regulations, paying taxes, risking his money, financing the business, and generally doing all the things employers do.

I disagree with you entirely if your position is the employee can show up, take no risk, work a set number of hours, and quit anytime without notice or cause.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 7,459,177 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I disagree about Unions. GM and Chrysler's problems have less to do with unions, and more to do with the fact they make vehicles that, increasingly, people do not want to buy. If they made fuel efficient cars that were cool, like the Japanese, they would be doing alot better. Japanese automakers OTOH, take a longer-range approach beyond immediate profits.
The American automakers had their hands tied by the unions. They could not automate, cut jobs, or move jobs. The unions wouldn't let poor workers get fired, and Detroit earned a reputaion for shoddy workmanship. All that combined hurt them. It's tough to get your reputation back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 AM
 
892 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Reputation: 1193
Another problem is, business "moves a little faster" in other places such as the Northeast. Companies (and their employees) seem to take things more seriously and are always striving to stay ahead of the "power curve" so to speak. Yes, the companies have to pay more for their labor in the way of salaries/wages, benefits, raises, ect. So they have to work a little harder to maximize the companies earning potential- SO WHAT???? What they wind up with is a well paid staff/workforce that is reliable, PROFESSIONAL, and there for the long term. Hard working people get ahead up there WAY FASTER than hear because business (in general) is just taken more seriously than it is down here. I've lived and worked in both places and I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. The "laid back" permenent vacation attitude permeates through everything down here and always has. Some people don't like to admit that-but it's true. People say that the Northeast is a "faster paced" lifestyle- EXACTLY, faster paced is not always a bad thing. Businesses that want to stay at the top of their respective industries need high quality employees to represent their company with PROFESSIONALISM and proficiency. The better you treat your staff/workforce, the farther your company can go. If a company just want's to "exsist", than fine-don't expect to attract the best people. Just look at pro football (the ultimate TEAM sport)- the teams that are the most sucessful year in and year out and win championships/titles have the BEST PEOPLE from top to bottom. If people feel appreciated, and can have good "quality of life"-than they will work hard for their company year after year and that company will ultimately prosper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 AM
 
305 posts, read 757,041 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Another problem is, business "moves a little faster" in other places such as the Northeast. Companies (and their employees) seem to take things more seriously and are always striving to stay ahead of the "power curve" so to speak. Yes, the companies have to pay more for their labor in the way of salaries/wages, benefits, raises, ect. So they have to work a little harder to maximize the companies earning potential- SO WHAT???? What they wind up with is a well paid staff/workforce that is reliable, PROFESSIONAL, and there for the long term. Hard working people get ahead up there WAY FASTER than hear because business (in general) is just taken more seriously than it is down here. I've lived and worked in both places and I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. The "laid back" permenent vacation attitude permeates through everything down here and always has. Some people don't like to admit that-but it's true. People say that the Northeast is a "faster paced" lifestyle- EXACTLY, faster paced is not always a bad thing. Businesses that want to stay at the top of their respective industries need high quality employees to represent their company with PROFESSIONALISM and proficiency. The better you treat your staff/workforce, the farther your company can go. If a company just want's to "exsist", than fine-don't expect to attract the best people. Just look at pro football (the ultimate TEAM sport)- the teams that are the most sucessful year in and year out and win championships/titles have the BEST PEOPLE from top to bottom. If people feel appreciated, and can have good "quality of life"-than they will work hard for their company year after year and that company will ultimately prosper.
You'll also realize that Northerners seemed to be preferred by the companies down here that actually hire for halfway decent jobs. I read one time a article stating that some Florida Tech companies didn't even bother putting a ad in the paper down here, they just threw up a ad in NYC to fill the vacancies quickly.

I used to think that I was going crazy when I first thought about it but I'm not, companies really do prefer hiring Northerners, I guess everyone believes that they're a step ahead of people from the South.

I had a couple former friends come down here and immediately start off at 80k doing Accounting and Oracle DBA work and I've had plenty of friends down here graduate from FIU/FAU and cannot get over $10.00 per hour.

Sometimes I really feel Florida isn't the place for youngsters trying to come out to be anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:48 AM
 
892 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Reputation: 1193
Just an example: In New Jersey, it is illegal to pump your own gas. Every gas station in the state has attendants that pump the fuel, collect the money, ect. In most cases, these attendants make 12-16 dollars/hour full time. I have talked to several of them in my travels up there. Gas Prices are about the same as anywhere else, and there are plenty of gas stations all over New Jersey. It is obvious that the fact that they pay their employees a lot more than Florida's stations do, does not effect their ability to do business or turn a profit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,632,626 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Just an example: In New Jersey, it is illegal to pump your own gas. Every gas station in the state has attendants that pump the fuel, collect the money, ect. In most cases, these attendants make 12-16 dollars/hour full time. I have talked to several of them in my travels up there. Gas Prices are about the same as anywhere else, and there are plenty of gas stations all over New Jersey. It is obvious that the fact that they pay their employees a lot more than Florida's stations do, does not effect their ability to do business or turn a profit.
You are saying a gas station attendant makes $600.00 plus a week? Hard to believe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 AM
 
892 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Reputation: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You are saying a gas station attendant makes $600.00 plus a week? Hard to believe.
That's not "take home" pay. Believe it, it's true-people make WAY MORE than they do here, especially service type jobs. I know a guy who owns 2 gas stations- a couple of his guys STARTED at 12$/hour.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top