U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,972,187 times

Advertisements

This poster was absolutley overjoyed to leave Florida for a union state. I was actually able to make more then $7/hr...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 06:28 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,524,520 times
Default One thing you have to be careful with

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
This poster was absolutley overjoyed to leave Florida for a union state. I was actually able to make more then $7/hr...
a union shop is that they don't classify you as "management" which is non-union. My daughter worked at a supermarket (union) but was a security guard/loss prevention. She was classified as "management", even though she didn't manage or supervise anyone. She was also paid an hourly salary of $11/hour. Management?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 15,627,507 times

"a union shop is that they don't classify you as "management" which is non-union."

A closed union shop requires union membership for occupational employees of certain job titles. Management can be several job titles none of which require that you supervise anyone.

Loss prevention is a perfect example of being management because you are involved in employee malfeasance frequently and employee errors. Therefore you are not their level but management.

An open shop allows optional membership and dues paying and is required by law in right to work states. A right to work state means the union cannot require membership. Basically You can still have union members in an open shop environment and having an open shop prevents the employer from refusing to hire union members. Like in construction.

Virginia is the same but my company pays almost the exact amount in Virginia as in Pa but a much less in Florida. That's because the Florida office was absorbed from a previous company who was already paying low. It's not exactly a scheme to pay low or we'd be paying "low" in Virginia. It's also to keep strikes from happening when the employees don't want to strike, and OF COURSE the major benefit to cut back workforce without union involvement. But of course they don't mind enjoying our union benefits after the strike is resolved. Kinda silly, imo to not join if you are in an open shop.

Our last strike 5 years ago we gave up "no layoff clause" for all new hires so even in our closed shop they can hit the road. Unions are struggling to stay relevent and so far my company's is. 82,000 people in one company.

I've been management and I've been union and union is much better unless you're very young with a career you want to grow. Our company stopped contributing to management pensions two years ago and now every single management employee is apathetic and just collecting a paycheck for showing up.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 33,425 times
Unions are looking good to me right now.Ever since living in Florida, I am dissaponted in how the system works. They don't take in account you work exprience or level of education. I personally, cannot speak for anyone. But I will say that Florida is being run by white egomanics with money and a greedy mindset. They are not worried about the Middle class, which is now being slowly eliminated. Or The Lower Class, Who have to become dependent on the Welfare System because Gov't refuses to raise their min. wages.

I have travel quite a bit. And I can say that no where I have visit internationally is like the US. Switzerland, and parts of Europe are totally different. I feel other countries treat their citizens much better then the US does to their own people. What happened to the Land of Free? It seems like a Fairy Tale to me. Alot of Americans now have this mindset that we should obey. Obey? Follow someone who has slowly in 8 years put our livelyhood in peril for oil? Reguardless, UNIONS gives the employee rights, they unified workers and they give them an opportunity to better the company as well. NON-Union state(s), (I am speaking of Florida more than anything) has this law becasue they don't want their worker's to have rights, or security. They abuse the Right to Work Law, Managers and people in high position sees it aS RIGHT TO FIRE.

nobody bothers to change these laws, but everyone sits and complaints. Myself and other UCF are trying to see if we can do anything if possible.

I Herd Disney Lobbyist were the ones who pushed the right to work law in Florida. If anyone can find proof of this please let me know.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:59 PM

185 posts, read 615,616 times
Default Right To Work State Or Not...

When my youngest son was about ready to leave Florida this is one of the things that I told him to look for. Of course he wanted to go West. We looked for information, and found that California and New Mexico were two states that were Non-Right To Work States. Meaning that they have trade unions that you can join that stick up for your rights as a worker. Right to work states all they want is a warm body, pay cheap wages, hire and fire you whenever they feel like it. I seen it over and over here the disappointment that fell on my son's face. My older boys who Thank G-d are in non-right to work states never had to go through the crap their little brother has gone through. Even though my work trail is about at the end I can't wait to leave this place, because it disgusts me so bad. I'll be going to a non-right to work state and support it. My one friend tells me that she would fight her own battles. Asking her what your going to buck up against a big corp. and get laughed down? No way for me or any of my boys. When I worked in a non-right to work state I wanted a Union Shop Steward or Union Attorney to back me up!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 15,627,507 times
People don't seem to realize that a union protects you from the management people who are only pencil pushers who make illegal decisions.

Example. FMLA is a federal law applicable to businesses over 50 employees. My company had several union officials working full time on FMLA benefits because of all the violations of the law. This is very important when you have a kid say, with a serious disease and your FMLA hours are miscalculated and you face disciplinary action. Remember this is not paid time, it's unpaid time so even if the company hates having you out on FMLA they are not losing as much as they act like. In fact they want people to take unpaid time when it's slow but they hate FMLA because of all the paperwork and inability to force you to come in when you are certified approved by the government.

Another example is this major grocery store chain I worked in for 3 months no union. The store manager had the NERVE to work me off the clock, an NLRB violation. And stupid too, because if I got shot on the register off the clock I'd have a killer law suit and they couldnt pawn me off to workmans comp. He refused to give me the stupid half hour lunch overnight that was the company policy and CLOCKED ME OUT ANYWAY every single night for 3 months. HR was no help.

After several failed negotiations with this guy, I made him pay me in arrears for the three months with the threat of NLRB complaint and he did. That very week. And simultaneously posted my hours for the following week. Cut from 40 hours to 4.

I learned alot as an adult in that stupid job. All they do is take advantage of the weaker people who really need that job to feed their families. Another good trick is to schedule them 4 hrs am then off 1 hour then 3 hours after that. With the sole purpose of not giving the employee the paid break the company policy calls for. Unbelievable if you hear all the stories that unions have helped people. Are some bad deals? Yes, for example forcing an employer to take a heavy equipment operator who cant drive it. So you pay the person to sit in their car and not drive. But overall, unions have been a major contributer to the quality of life in America imo, from child labor law through current devious ways to shaft employees just trying to do a decent days work.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 33,425 times
learned alot as an adult in that stupid job. All they do is take advantage of the weaker people who really need that job to feed their families

Very True I am a single mother in college working two jobs. And they do take advantage of people's situations.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,292,440 times
One of the less understood facts is that while unions increase wages for members, they also increase wages for non-union workers. When you stop and think about it, this should not be surprising. In industries where unions push up wages, the non-union companies often have to raise wages to compete for the best workers.
Even where an employer could run a company on low wages, high union density means that a union organizer can show up, flash the higher wages in the contract and threaten to unionize the firm. To stave off that threat, those employers will raise salaries toward the union wage level.
The higher the percentage of unionization -- often called union density -- in an industry or a region, the higher the wages for both union AND non-union workers.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:59 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,756,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Um, Tennessee isn't a union state.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ht_to_work.svg

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM

185 posts, read 615,616 times
Wal-Mart is hitting the news in a big way. It's a real good example of how they want to manipulate the workers on even their political voting, they are so non-union and don't want the Democrats in office.And are so right-wing.This is going to be interesting how it plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida