U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,531 times

Advertisements

My family and I are from Florida. My husband has been calling in to work for the past year; off and on, he could not get out of bed, fatigue, headaches, depression. He finally went to Shan's and is now in a mental health treatment center for 2 monts. A formal letter was sent to his employer. I just received a letter by the administration dept of his job, stating that when my husband is able to return to work, he will be laid off, until a possition opens. They cannot keep his slot opened with out hiring someone else. So I feel as if this is their way of saying he is fired. My husband did not pay into short term disability through his job, because it was not available. So I am home with my pay small check (I work for the state of Fl you know how that goes) that cannot pay all of our bills. So with my husband in treatment getting the help he needs, I am in the real world struggling, to makes ends meat, now 2 months behind with our mortgage. I am really overwelmed seeing how he will not have a job when he comes home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 PM

37,208 posts, read 22,526,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey1970 View Post
My family and I are from Florida. My husband has been calling in to work for the past year; off and on, he could not get out of bed, fatigue, headaches, depression. He finally went to Shan's and is now in a mental health treatment center for 2 monts. A formal letter was sent to his employer. I just received a letter by the administration dept of his job, stating that when my husband is able to return to work, he will be laid off, until a possition opens. They cannot keep his slot opened with out hiring someone else. So I feel as if this is their way of saying he is fired. My husband did not pay into short term disability through his job, because it was not available. So I am home with my pay small check (I work for the state of Fl you know how that goes) that cannot pay all of our bills. So with my husband in treatment getting the help he needs, I am in the real world struggling, to makes ends meat, now 2 months behind with our mortgage. I am really overwelmed seeing how he will not have a job when he comes home.
Is that legal? Wouldn't your husband be covered under the family-medical leave act, or is the place of employment under 25 employees?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,988,599 times
If you think Florida is the Master of the Slave trade, you ought to get a job at a convenience store - anywhere in the country. Generally, you are the only person there so there is no potty time unless you lock the door and put a handwritten sign on the door that says "back in 5 minutes." And if you are able to find a lull in the day and take a drink or a bite to eat, it is almost certain that someone will come to the counter and ask a question when you have something in your mouth. That opens the door to insults like, "Can you stop stuffing your face for a minute?" Doesn't matter what your background is - you are expected to be a slave to everyone who comes in and there are no breaks from the time you clock in to the time you leave and there isn't even a break room nor place to sit down. FL is not the enemy. The enemy is in the lap of the business owners themselves.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,150,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Just my opinion of course but much of the stuff made and sold in the US is some of the worst crap made. If you are ever in Europe go shopping. I love to go to hardware stores You wander around and see some of the best products you have even see. Non of it ever imported into the US. You pick up something like a hinge or faucet and it looks like it would last a century it is so well made. Everything is just better quality.

I would be in my sister in laws house or a restaurant and you just keep looking at stuff and are amazed at the quality. In the US it is nothing but particle board junk, you are hard pressed to even find a decent piece of furniture. We love disposable over priced junk and they are more then happy to sell it to us. Im am sorry, I am not a fan or just buy American, I am a fan of quality.

Also something about imports from places like China. Those same factories that build the cheap crap can also build the highest quality available if that is what the buyer wants. Unfortunately the buyers for most US stores buy junk. It has nothing to do with the "Made in China label" it has to do with the customer. They have factories and craftsmen as good as any in the world.
Me too which led me to purchase Alno cabinets from germany for a house I owned in West Boca. What garbage. ALL particle board. Oh it looked like nice stuff in the showroom ( in Boca ) and was pitched as being the best in all of Europe as well as Custom.

Not only was it not custom, the install took more than 6 months ( NO KITCHEN FOR 6 MONTHS ) and when complete, the island was all wobbly, and the veneer looked like it was going to come off ini record time. Mass produced garbage that cost almost 20 grand just for the cabinets and that's before the euro went up against the dollar so much.

On the other hand I had cabinets made for a kitchen I did in wellington that came from Canada. The opposite experience. All custom, Maple, beautiful cabinets and almost twice the size kitchen ( 22 feet X 18 ft ) and they cost me less than the alno cabinets. But that was also before the dollar imploded against the Canadian dollar.

Dang

Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,865 times
You have never seen management devoid of sound judgement! You either don't work or you're lying. So which one is it.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM

240 posts, read 350,384 times
Thumbs up The IUOE doesn't force employers to hire incompetant workers

forcing an employer to take a heavy equipment operator who cant drive it. So you pay the person to sit in their car and not drive. But overall, unions have been a major contributer to the quality of life in America imo, from child labor law through current devious ways to shaft employees just trying to do a decent days work.[/quote]

Thats definately not true if he is from the IUOE. If the person(man or woman) can't perform his job they can be sent back and if they can't supply a competent operator, they can hire someone off the street because its stipulated in the contract. The person hired has the option whether they want to join the union or not in Florida because the right to work law gives them that option.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,010,685 times
resurrection of a 3 year old thread.. nice..

Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM

12,022 posts, read 12,364,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
The person hired has the option whether they want to join the union or not in Florida because the right to work law gives them that option.
That's the way it should always be. In New York, when you get hired, you AUTOMATICALLY get forced into a public-sector union which takes 1% out of your paycheck for "union" dues which are used for lobbying, mailings, political ads etc. The unions end up amassing quite a war chest of $$$ and pretty much screw over the taxpayers when it comes to things like property and sales tax relief.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,842,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
What I make now, in 2007, after 3 years of employment, I made in 1985 when I was 25 and worked in NYC.

Right now....I make $13.65/hour & work in property management on Longboat Key and I'm not an illegal alien.

I have a degree in ADV from Michigan State. My condo association loves me because I am on the ball....however, I was married, came to FL in 1991 with my husband, built a house, had children & then got divorced....

Right to work in Florida means they can fire you because you wore a pink shirt....not right....people can quit a job anytime they want & it doesn't have to be a right to work situation....

we all know that northern states pay more than Florida...it's just a matter of making enough money to get out of Florida to move...hello?
This here just reminded me that this very reason here in bold could be why I didn't get hired many places in the first place down here in FL. Not that I wear a pink shirt, but I look kind of like a representative of a freer thinking alternative community. Theres just a stepford mentality I think in many places to where if you appear just a little bit different, they can use that as discrimination and maybe theres even been some application discrimination since many managers haven't met me face to face, but decided to write me off for some odd reason. Totally unfair. yet tons of blacks manage to get jobs though so.. I don't get it and I never will. Neo Nazis (all over) even have more tollerance than some people down here within the employment/management spectrum. I swear to F'n god. I've been unemployed here for a while and didn't leave because of lack of good money coming in a month (SSI). Its not so simple to just get up and go sometimes, but luckily I get a break soon and I can, but its a damn long time coming and even overdue now. I would have left a yr ago if I could.

FL is a backwater and you can't even get gas station jobs down here at the pump. Some jobs up north pay 12 bucks an hr to pump gas. Here the people at the gas stations are slaves and have to work way more. Its only the guy at the desk taking all the money vs the pump attendants who take the gas money up north and the cashier taking money for drinks. The cashiers here (1 or 2 of them) have to take everyones money whether it be for gas or for drinks. Wonderful old FL. Gotta love it (heh).

Last edited by DoctorRain; 06-14-2011 at 12:49 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,842,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this was a good post. you got rep. nobody liked this post did they? strong antiunion sentiment in america.
affluence and prosperity were brought to this country thru union and absence of such will take us back where we came from. our government is actively involved in union and labor busting. 23 million illegals since last amnesty present. france's youth is fighting the battle of their life thru the unions to keep their jobs from being out resourced or taken by immigrants. (the 5 year rule) the immigrants are attacking the students when they demonstrate for their future jobs. do we demonstrate for unions or even belong? no we do not. we are sinking to the bottom of the swimming pool smiling.
money does that to you. remember your grandparents talkin about picken peaches for 5 cents a bushel? well soon it wont be poor mexican people doin it when you look out on those fields, its guna be us.

Unless things turn themselves right the hell around, we are gonna be like Apartheid in South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida