Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM

112 posts, read 428,044 times

Advertisements

Ive been in Florida since l987. I remember in S. California seeing adds on TV mentioning that Orlando had more jobs than people which was very correct-IF YOU DONT MIND MAKING 4 TO 5 BUCKS AN HOUR IN THE HUMID HOT SUN WORKING HARD LABOR CONSTRUCTION. Of course Florida was a very cheap place to live back then.
FLORIDA AINT CHEAP NO MORE Would it be out of line to ask for a higher wage???
Does everyone feel (except you cheapskate wealthy employers that will NEVER pay a decent wage)that Florida would really be better off as a UNION STATE since we have already proven that right to work eliminates the middle class, and only benefits the SLAVE MASTERS.????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 12:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I think you're exaggerating the issue. But if you feel you're not being treated fairly, who's chained your two feet?
Since when was construction guaranteed steady work?
Wyoming has lots of high paying construction jobs right now. If you really have drive, you'll follow the job opportunities.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,188 times
Slave master? Huh?

In Florida, you're competing against illegal immigrants for construction jobs. As long as there are people willing to work for minimum wage (or less), why would an employer hire someone and pay them more (assuming equal work quality, etc).

Would unions make a difference in Florida? How many people are payed under the table?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:30 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
You are really stretching it...

No, Union's kill companies...take a look at what's happening with the auto industry, they are largely to blame.

I've lived in right to work states for a long time and think they are just fine. An employer should be able to give you the boot anytime and you should be able to quit anytime.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM

112 posts, read 428,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I think you're exaggerating the issue. But if you feel you're not being treated fairly, who's chained your two feet?
Since when was construction guaranteed steady work?
Wyoming has lots of high paying construction jobs right now. If you really have drive, you'll follow the job opportunities.
Thank you MoMark for your response. I currently have the moral responsibility to take care of my disabled mother with dementia, and after that responsibility is over IM OUTTA HERE> The only reason I posted this blog is that I really feel sorry for those who came to this state seeking opportunity for them and their family, and only got stuck in the right to work delima and cant get out.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discontented lot owner View Post
Thank you MoMark for your response. I currently have the moral responsibility to take care of my disabled mother with dementia, and after that responsibility is over IM OUTTA HERE> The only reason I posted this blog is that I really feel sorry for those who came to this state seeking opportunity for them and their family, and only got stuck in the right to work delima and cant get out.
Someone would have to have been delusional to come here thinking they were going to make a lot of money. Except for a few building booms, the jobs here have always been service industry type jobs with low wages going all the way back. There has never been any money to be made here as a wage earner.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:15 PM

75 posts, read 347,791 times
I can't believe that people work construction for $4 to $5 an hour any more. My husband worked construction in Brevard County and then in Orlando. Every company he worked for started him out at atleast $12/hr. He usually ended up getting a raise after the first week. He worked for an Orlando company for a few years before we left that had benefits and he was making $17/hr. Granted he was a skilled mason, but he worked hard and learned his job well. It is hard work, but if you work hard you can find a good job making decent money.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
If individuals do research the job market they should be able to see what is available and at what rate. Just to come to Florida or any other state to make money without planning is crazy. Planning and research should be the first steps. If someone is looking for aerospace/defense jobs northwest Florida is the place. Aircraft mechanics in the low $50K with all the benefits....

Fast food start at $7.00 per hour, assistance managers $8.40, Managers maybe $20K. General managers in the low $40K...... For Navarre & Fort Walton Beach.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:08 PM

34 posts, read 133,139 times
Default No Unions in Florida, leave them in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by discontented lot owner View Post
Ive been in Florida since l987. I remember in S. California seeing adds on TV mentioning that Orlando had more jobs than people which was very correct-IF YOU DONT MIND MAKING 4 TO 5 BUCKS AN HOUR IN THE HUMID HOT SUN WORKING HARD LABOR CONSTRUCTION. Of course Florida was a very cheap place to live back then.
FLORIDA AINT CHEAP NO MORE Would it be out of line to ask for a higher wage???
Does everyone feel (except you cheapskate wealthy employers that will NEVER pay a decent wage)that Florida would really be better off as a UNION STATE since we have already proven that right to work eliminates the middle class, and only benefits the SLAVE MASTERS.????
In a simple response....HELL NO! While I agree that the wages need to be adjusted and some employers are down right exploiting their labor, the last thing Florida needs is a strong union presence. Unions may be chartered to represent the worker but what they really do is drive the cost of goods and materials up, create hostile work environments, stifle competition and drive a wedge in communication between the workforce and management. Unions may have had their place in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's but its time to look at the paradigm of employee-employer relations in a different context that does not reinforce the assumptions of us versus them. It doesn't work anymore.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
I agree that Unions are not the answer to the problem. If only American citizens were given jobs in Fla., there would be a demand for employees and the wages and benies would automatically be driven up. You have a complaint, but I feel you're not on the right track of how to solve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida