Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home
my dream house would cost $300k there. Dont really like the $200k houses, not big and not nice enough for me.
Ok, seriously now. Maybe because you are my age (well, just a month or so older), but I am trying to figure you out. WHY are you jumping straight to 3000 sq ft. DREAM HOUSE at the age of 25?

It is interesting though.... that people have such a relative view of what "nice" is!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Ive said it many times and will say it again. Hurricanes, crime, insanely expensive houses, 10 months of miserable heat, bad drivers, depreciating houses(my parents dropped another $45k last month) and many other reasons. Hey im not gonna stop you from moving to FL. Do avoid south FL. North FL is OK if you have deep pockets, my dream house would cost $300k there. Dont really like the $200k houses, not big and not nice enough for me.

I am 25 by the way. Yes I believe in global warming. You did have a few cold days but most of your days werent bad with highs in the 40s and 50s and lows not much below freezing. But hey ill take your winters over my summers and hurricanes. Also Ohio has much lower costs of living. I think many people dwell too much on the winters and overlook all the other positive things about Ohio

Your a nut...

A few cold days, you have swallowed to much sand...
We were below 0 many days this past year and did not go above 15 for 7 straight days................. So much for global warming........

Global Warming, you are falling for that!! Now I know why yo
u are so confused, you are young and believe whatever the freak gore tells you to believe.

COL is certain areas of Ohio is HIGHER then in your town for sure.

Answer me this time, have you spent a long period of time in Ohio and froze your ass off yet, if not... do not post what it is like, because you are totally wrong. If you have not been here and had your fingers so cold you cannot move them, then you do not have the right to post crap about how good it is.

WHY ARE YOU STILL ON FLA if it is so damn bad!!

Move the heck out and give room for those who can afford to live there.
You whine about costs.... get a better job !!!!

Do you really think people on this board are stupid as you make them out?
They are NOT stupid. You are pulling the gore type propaghanda and its NOT WORKING young man.

People are not falling for your message..... why not give it up and post something positive for once.

If you are so weak you cannot handle 80 degrees there, you sure are not TUFF enough to handle 20 below here.

Get a grip, youi have it made were you are at or you would have left a long time ago.

Better yet, find a better paying job to help pay for all those HIGH costs you whine about.

Us hard working northerners can afford your cost on retirement money, so you at 25 years old should be able to buy a million dollar house in Ohio easily.
Right....

I would give you less then a month in January in Ohio, you would be heading back to Fla with your tail stuck ( no frozen ) between you legs.

We are coming to Florida whether you like it or not and bringing my hard earned money with me.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Floridabound.....I am so impressed!!!
Thank you........

I cannot sit and watch a few of these goofs try and keep me away, it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOLKS !!!!

Looking at properties tonight via realtor.com and maybe fly down to have a look see.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,619 times
GO FLORIDAPOUND! Great post.

He only says "positive things" about Ohio because of the cheap housing. If all of ohio were expensive he'd be saying it's terrible and most likely he'd say it's too cold there too, but since the housing is cheap, it's a lovely place.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,619 times
To NAH -

Stop GENERALIZING every state. Just because there are some cheap areas of Ohio doesn't mean it's all cheap. Conversely, just because my area in the PA/Philly region is not the cheapest doesn't mean there aren't cheap areas to be found.

You need to look deeper than the state level. Seriously. There are even affordable areas in California, which you'd immediately rule out as too expensive but not willing to look closely.

I have to ask - WHY IN THE WORLD do you need a huge dream house? You want to live alone, you don't want kids, you don't want to be married - WTF is all the space for? Sorry to be rude, but SERIOUSLY, what do you TRULY need the space for?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM

37 posts, read 121,715 times
If you look your family history will show you are from the north too at one point,

Sorry, but their ain't any Northerners in my blood. My grandparents were born in Alabama, their parents in Alabama, and my great great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee from the reservation there, so my family goes back to 2 generations to Indian, not Northerners.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 PM

31 posts, read 142,021 times
I just recently started posting on this forum and these posts crack.me.up.

NAH
Quote:
If you are so weak you cannot handle 80 degrees there, you sure are not TUFF enough to handle 20 below here
Better off try when it's 30 below, and it has taken you 10 minutes to get dressed just to warm up the car, to let it run for 20 minute BEFORE you can even go any where. Every state has cheaper places to live doesn't mean you chose to live there.

So why is this Northerner moving to Florida??? Well it's because it's where the best paying job is, the best cost of living is for what my husband does. We've been researching different areas along the east coast from New England where we're stationed now all the way down to Florida for over a year now. And I have to say the housing market has fallen everywhere, not just Florida, but it's happened before, it will happen again. It's just very rare that FL managed to stay so cheap for so long. As for our move, we got the best offer in Florida. We have friends who live there, I get out of the cold that I've always hated. I will take the oppressive heat ANY day over a -30 wind chill!!!!

So for those of you who won't welcome me, because I'm a Yankee well that's your loss, but my money is as green as yours and my propery taxes will be spent just like yours. And I will be an involved parent in my child school and she won't be playing in road, and even though it's only a .25 acre lot, it will be OUR .25 acre lot and after serving 20 years in the Military we've earned to live any dang where we want! And I'm very much looking forward to my move in 98 days!!!! Now I just need to find a house!!!

Floridabound - I have to agree - Great Post!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 AM

134 posts, read 438,698 times
My dad got transferred to the Kennedy Space Center in 1987. We lived in central Florida for six years, but I still visit the state. And man, has it changed!

When we moved to Florida, I still had my southern twang and was made fun of alot, but eventually I lost most of my accent. The people were not the friendliest in the world, but eventually I adapted to my new surroundings. Overall I had an enjoyable experience in Florida. I got to meet a diverse group of people and got to know many people from all over.

I wish the newcomers the best of luck. I remember I ran into a few natives that were not happy with all the newcomers, but 95% of the natives I met were super people. Remember these are opinions, not facts!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:34 AM

55 posts, read 194,725 times
Thumbs down Boot Need_Affordable

Need_Affordable....I've read many of your posts over the last several months and frankly...GET OUT OF HERE!!!! I have two adult children 20 & 21 and I have to say they are more in check with reality then you are. At least they understand that THEY will have to earn everything they get, be it a 900 SQ FT house or a 3000 one. You must be really spoiled....still living at home? Does everything Mommy and Daddy earned mean you deserve it too? Don't think so pal....this is the problem with your generation today....you need to learn hard work.

Now as for your moving north....go for it. In fact why don't you go to Wyoming. I lived there for 25 years. It's nice and FREEZING...you actually can buy a house for 50K....In a town of 11 PEOPLE. Just think you could be the sheriff, the post master, the bank and the gas station attendant all in one......YOU could OWN the town. Son, you have no idea what it is like to live in an area where 8-9 months a year you are shoveling your ROOF so it doesn't cave in, stuck in the house for days because all the roads are closed, and get to plug in your car so the engine won't freeze up.

Face it, we're all coming to FL and the more you post, the more determined we are to come on down.

P.S. my guess would be that the medium age on this FL forum is somewhere between 45-55. I would say that our life experiences and learned knowledge justifies not listening to your ranting anymore.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:25 AM

177 posts, read 684,330 times
NAH-
Thanks for the answer. I wish I was 25 again. Of course,at 25, I was married, had kids and owned my own home.
You are 25, still living at home and waiting for Daddy to buy you an air conditioner. Then you expect us to take your posts seriously, when those who have lived in these areas and visited these areas keep telling you that you are not being realistic and you continue to tell them they are wrong.
I am 62 and have been around the block a few times. I am telling you that your expectations are unrealistic, most people would not want to move into the type of area you keep holding up as a great place to live. I can also tell that you have never lived in an area that has winters because you have no idea how cold and uncomfortable the places you cite can be.
You claim to be self employed and that is a great thing but if you can't afford to buy an air conditioner for your bedroom, how in the world do you think you will be able to afford and maintain a house? A $50,000 house will probably need more work to maintain than a more expensive, newer house.
I would never suggest that you stop posting because you do add to the discussion but I wish you would stop telling people who are trying to tell you that your perceptions are wrong that they don't know what they are talking about. At least until you've gone to these places and seen for yourself what they are like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida