Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times

Advertisements

Its sad that they have to go out of retirement because costs of living is insane. I dont consider them competition because I would never want those low paying jobs and in fact im self employed and relocating soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
I actually wrote an article on this not too long ago. In my research I found that there are some main reasons for why seniors continue to work and not all of them are related to needing more money. Some do it for the money, many others do it just for having something to do, maintaining a job gives you a sense of purpose and a reason to get up in the morning, it makes you live longer. Still others do it to socialize, meet new people, stay active, etc. I know most people right off think it's for the money, but that's not why most seniors are still working. There are many other factors and reasons. And I don't blame them, if they want to work then by all means they should have every right to do it. The young ones can take the competition.

In my research for the article I found a study that had been released where researchers examined the main reasons that people continue to work beyond retirment age. Those reasons generally fall into four categories that include social, personal, financial and generative.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Heh, are you serious? Florida has a labor shortage. Seniors are not taking jobs away from anyone. I'd rather see a senior citizen working at Publix than an illegal immigrant...
I would second that motion!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 PM

251 posts, read 885,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
I was down in Florida visiting in the LAkeland, Orlando, Ft Myers, Cape Coral Naples area and have contemplated moving here for many years now. I was recently laid off from my job in NY from Kodak, and am looking to relocate to Florida.

I was truly amazed at the LARGE number of Senoir Citizens working at many establishments, hotels, TOLL Plazas, Disney, Universal, Cypress Gardens and even PUBLIX. Grant it I dont know everyones situation, but cmon they are probably collecting Social SEcurity, and are taking jobs away from the younger generatiopn who need to support families. Correct me if Im wrong but is FLORIDA that expensive as to where the retirees must work down there to afford their houses, taxes, due to the tremendous increase in taxes, HOI and housing? How can I expect to move here when Bertha who is 75 years old is working a county job or state job at the toll booths, just to "keep" herself busy or in fact is it neccessay for them to work now because of the housing costs?
OK, I will correct you….Have you been reading this board? Florida is in a crisis! Not only is Home Owners Insurance skyrocketing but so is Property Taxes, housing, etc. People can no longer live on just Social Security (do you ever read your SS statement they send you each year before your birthday….could you live on that, anywhere in the US) If you don’t plan for your future which includes MORE than just living on Social Security you too will be working to supplement your income so you can afford not just your housing, but food and often medication. There are those few people that “choose” to work part-time but mostly what I see is people who HAVE to work to feed themselves. I just spoke to an 87 year old woman who is working 35 hours a week so she can afford to keep her home because her homeowners insurance exceeds what she gets from Social Security a year. Get a good education, choose a well paying career with good long term benefits and save, save, save for your future or you too can spend your golden years working at a toll booth in the screeching hot Florida summer.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
Taking jobs away from younger people?? I think not. First off, no one is taking jobs away from younger people. And so what if seniors want to work? One day, god willing, you will be a senior too and will want to do something to occupy your time and make some additional money. Times have changed. You try living off of social security. And yes, Florida is that expensive, but also look at other states - people are living longer, working longer and want to keep active longer than ever before - these are different times my friend.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,017 times
Heh, are you serious? Florida has a labor shortage. Seniors are not taking jobs away from anyone. I'd rather see a senior citizen working at Publix than an illegal immigrant...

[b]I third that motion, besides whats wrong with senior citizens? It seems when you get old you don't count anymore or are a bother to younger folks..everyone if God is willing, will get old. My mom is 74 and still works because she has too, she would love to retire. She gets social security but has to pay taxes on that income (as if she didn't pay taxes on it when she earned it in the first place)
and couldn't make it on that alone. It's crazy..

Old 03-13-2007, 01:07 PM

47 posts, read 243,525 times
These are all minimum wage jobs! When I first arrived in Orlando I applied for the position of tour guide at Disney. Imagine how suprised I was when I found out it paid $7.00/hr! that was about 7 years ago.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,629 times
how many of these older people are working just to pay for their monthly medications? We all know that's a problem. I mean how many older people do you know that are NOT on some kind medication. I used to work for the patient assistant program that gives free or reduced medication and you have to be down right poor to qualify. It's a shame how many times i just wanted to buy their medicine for them and in fact i did one time for an elderly lady who broke down crying in my office. It's a shame to see. She was way too old to be working so if these older people are in good health and can bag groceries or take tolls, good for them. It means their doing well and are healthy enough to do it. The younger folks still have time to make something of their life where they shouldn't have to worry about these low paying jobs which mean a lot to these older folks.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Sorry, I had to recover from reading that first post... "seniors taking away jobs from younger people" *lol* oh, don't they wish it were only so, and they could get their old jobs back that paid them what they should get! Instead people like my Uncle, who moved to Naples in the 60's (before there were any "young" folks playing Crockett and Tubbs) had to go back out and get a job.
I'm guessing the original author is under the age of 25 and single?

"A civilization will be judged on how it treats its elderly." ~Winston Churchill

Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 PM

21 posts, read 65,249 times
Thumbs down Sad

That original poster was just selfish. Who says that when you reach retirement age that you should just stop living? They have probably worked all of their life in a job they hate and now they are doing something they enjoy. If they are going to stop retirees from working, then they need to stop the illegal immigrants and criminals from obtaining jobs as well.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida