Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:08 AM

155 posts, read 1,052,693 times

Advertisements

I was down in Florida visiting in the LAkeland, Orlando, Ft Myers, Cape Coral Naples area and have contemplated moving here for many years now. I was recently laid off from my job in NY from Kodak, and am looking to relocate to Florida.

I was truly amazed at the LARGE number of Senoir Citizens working at many establishments, hotels, TOLL Plazas, Disney, Universal, Cypress Gardens and even PUBLIX. Grant it I dont know everyones situation, but cmon they are probably collecting Social SEcurity, and are taking jobs away from the younger generatiopn who need to support families. Correct me if Im wrong but is FLORIDA that expensive as to where the retirees must work down there to afford their houses, taxes, due to the tremendous increase in taxes, HOI and housing? How can I expect to move here when Bertha who is 75 years old is working a county job or state job at the toll booths, just to "keep" herself busy or in fact is it neccessay for them to work now because of the housing costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
I believe it takes all of their monthly income and then some to make it. Now these jobs are probably all minimum wage jobs especially the ones at the amusement parks cause though you pay $70 bucks to get in as a visitor, their pay to workers are very poor. I hope your not planning a move to FL looking forward to one of these minimum wage jobs because if that's the case, you may not make it. I can't make it on my own income alone and i make twice the minimum wage working from home and i live in a very small 990/sq ft home. nothing special it's just that expensive to live here. Florida used to be the place to retire and live well but those days are long gone. I don't think these elderly people care to be working outside in the heat by choice. I thinks it's because they need to.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
I was down in Florida visiting in the LAkeland, Orlando, Ft Myers, Cape Coral Naples area and have contemplated moving here for many years now. I was recently laid off from my job in NY from Kodak, and am looking to relocate to Florida.

I was truly amazed at the LARGE number of Senoir Citizens working at many establishments, hotels, TOLL Plazas, Disney, Universal, Cypress Gardens and even PUBLIX. Grant it I dont know everyones situation, but cmon they are probably collecting Social SEcurity, and are taking jobs away from the younger generatiopn who need to support families. Correct me if Im wrong but is FLORIDA that expensive as to where the retirees must work down there to afford their houses, taxes, due to the tremendous increase in taxes, HOI and housing? How can I expect to move here when Bertha who is 75 years old is working a county job or state job at the toll booths, just to "keep" herself busy or in fact is it neccessay for them to work now because of the housing costs?
Most of those job they have are minimum wage and at best would have some high school kid working there that never shows up. They are dependable and a good source of labor. As for as why they work, that is up to them, not everybody wants to sit in front of the TV watching Soaps all day.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:39 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Most of those job they have are minimum wage and at best would have some high school kid working there that never shows up. They are dependable and a good source of labor. As for as why they work, that is up to them, not everybody wants to sit in front of the TV watching Soaps all day.

Exactly. I know several "retired" guys who went to work at golf courses so they could play for free. They all say the same thing: They are constantly called in when the younger employees are no-call, no-show and they end up working many more hours than they signed on for.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post

OMG are you kidding?!?!?!?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,593 times
maybe they need the money, maybe they like working. most of the senior communities have a huge maintiance fee every month.

Anyway the seniors are not taking real jobs. You can not support a family in Florida on a job at the tolls or bagging groceries.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,297 times
i think if someone is going to need to compete with a senior for their job they probably should'nt be moving to fl.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 PM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Many employers prefer retirees. They actually show up when scheduled, they don't take off to go to the beach because it's a nice day, and they actually do a good job. Just ask those them employ retirees!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
If they want to work, I say why not? Some of these seniors have extensive experience, and some just need cash to make ends meet. They will probably live longer as well. If stupid Florida government would let us develop more high paying, high tech jobs based in this state the younger of us would have more to do while the seniors could take the jobs we just don't have the mindset to do. Who of us wants to greet people at Wal-Mart or bag groceries or take tolls? Better seniors than illegal immigrants. From experience I know that a change of pace is a good thing. Last weekend I helped a friend with his landscaping project, we rented the skid steer, shovelled and did plumbing. Manual work yes, but for a guy like me who spends most of the day in an office chair, a welcome relief. I criticize the elderly who decide to vegetate and just cause trouble for others, not those who are working.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Heh, are you serious? Florida has a labor shortage. Seniors are not taking jobs away from anyone. I'd rather see a senior citizen working at Publix than an illegal immigrant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida