U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2006, 12:16 PM

56 posts, read 312,491 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've heard a few nice things about Port Orange, but I could really use some more info?? Job market, affordable housing, good high school? I'd really appreciate any advice or info that you have regarding this area. I will have my BS degree in accounting in July and I'm looking for a fresh start for my daughter and I. I'm in my late 30's and have some experience as a project manager in the telecom industry before WorldCom messed up.

Florida is home as I grew up in South Florida. I miss it very much! Please tell me what you know. Living here in Greensboro, NC has left me disheartened as it is NOT the kindest area that I've lived in.

Just want to find out about the job market in accounting and a decent rental apt, townhome or condo...small house...whatever that my daughter and I can stay for a while near that area. I've lived in too many states and need to settle down so she can finish high school in ONE location.

So...How is Port Orange? Job opportunities, housing (not to buy, yet), traffic, things to do, beaches near by, people...
All info is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 82,472 times
Default Port Orange

Port Orange is really part of greater Daytona Beach area as it is immediately South of Daytona Beach and really connected to it or considered to be part of it. Other towns in the immediate Daytona Beach area besides Port Orange are Ormond Beach (immediately North of Daytona Beach), Holly Hill which is also considered same as Daytona Beach and Daytona Beach Shores also considered part of the greater Daytona Beach area. If you are accountant you can try Bennett, Woodward & Associates,P.A., Certified Public accountants, Holly Hill (greater Daytona Beach area) fax 386-252-9613 as this is growing firm and handles several lotto winners (I am not included and have never won the lottery!).

Old 06-22-2006, 03:36 PM

56 posts, read 312,491 times
Smile Good start...

beachpad ~
Great info.
Will check it out. I'm not a CPA as I don't even have my BS degree until next month, but I do have alot of experience that could add onto my degree! I worked as a project manager in the telecom industry before WorldCom folded. Maybe that will help. Do you know if Bennett, Woodward & Assoc, hires entry level accountants?? There is talk that accounting positions are in demand, and I can't wait to get back to work!!!
Thanks soooo much,
Laura

Last edited by LauraerieL; 06-22-2006 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,101 times
You'll like Port Orange, it has the better schools, places to eat and safer streets.
if you have teenagers, put an iron leg chain on them and connect it to your vagina!!! Especially if you have girls. At leats with boys, they can't get knocked up!!! Teenage girls around daytona will one way or another get themselves invited to parties at ERAU which is cool. (At worst a little pot) but when they go to the clubs beachside Daytona, they WILL get in and next thing you know it's a phopne call at 4 am and they don't remember a thing.
Itsa matter f trust and how grown up they are. My daughter, thank god, stayed a virgin till she was 27 and graduated college...1st time with a boy (thank god they loved each other) she gave me a grandson!!!
No matter what part of florida it is, remember this isn't t 70's.... its changed!!!! My best advise is to know your kids friends, keep a curfew and make sure they understand why. You can make exceptions as long as you always know where they are!!!
I could go on and on but it would be repeating the same thing. I'm not a big church person but if you are, get into a group at your church and that'll hel;p your kids as well. At school, talk to the councelor.
Good Luck & enjoy that heat and humidity, I now live in Colorado Springs, CO. in the mountains where its just beautiful....I was never a beach bunny!!! Gimme the cold anytime!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 AM

289 posts, read 479,129 times
I also moved from out of state and after much research moved to port orange. It is an ideal place for families and is very safe and clean and has a small town feel to it. (i moved to the beachside after 2 years...i needed more action in my life) It is also right on the intracostal/beach.
I also researched apartments and moved to "the park at countryside" on village trail. There are a few more complexes nearby but they did not offer the best deal. Stay away from victoria gardens. I would reccommend looking into "villagio on the lakes" (not sure of spelling) on village trail. It is an almost new luxury condo complex that has many many units for rent. Also, in florida, there some type of govt program that loans money to apt developers to build apts provided they rent them out at like 65% of the market rate for 20 years. Thus, there are many brand new apartments you can get for like 500 a month provided you make less than 22,000 a year. One such place is "club at sugarmill" which is practically across the street from port orange elem school.

There is almost no accounting work in daytona now. There was even a story in the newspaper about one lady who has 25 years exp and she can not find a job.

What is your budget for rent?

I'll check back to see if you have any more questions

Last edited by johnnyboy2008; 08-22-2009 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 PM

75 posts, read 236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringsLinda View Post
You'll like Port Orange, it has the better schools, places to eat and safer streets.
if you have teenagers, put an iron leg chain on them and connect it to your vagina!!! Especially if you have girls. At leats with boys, they can't get knocked up!!! Teenage girls around daytona will one way or another get themselves invited to parties at ERAU which is cool. (At worst a little pot) but when they go to the clubs beachside Daytona, they WILL get in and next thing you know it's a phopne call at 4 am and they don't remember a thing.
Itsa matter f trust and how grown up they are. My daughter, thank god, stayed a virgin till she was 27 and graduated college...
I think a teenager can get into trouble in any city. I was a teenager in Chicago in the 70's and if I told you all the things my buddies and my girlfriend used to do, you would be stunned. My parents didn't pay attention to what I was doing at all.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 PM

500 posts, read 1,761,338 times
Um, the OP was from 2006.

DON'T YOU THINK A LOT HAS CHANGED IN THE AREA SINCE THEN?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 AM

289 posts, read 479,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post

No

Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 AM

75 posts, read 236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post

My point was that I found plenty of trouble in the seventies when I was a teenager just like teenagers today will find all the trouble they can handle if they are looking for it.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,922 times
PALM COAST is where you want to move, especially if you have a kid. there are alot of nice homes (all newer) that are affordable, the schools were rated #1 in Florida, and no flooding... Flagler Beach is accross the bridge.

The Job market is not good here, unless you are in the medical field, BUT it is 15-20minutes from Daytona(south) or St. Augustine(north) so you have two job markets to choose from... to me there are too many transients and too much poverty in the Port Orange area.

If I had moved into the house I was looking at in Port Orange, I would have been Flooded over 2 feet in May, and hit by a Tornado in July and would have lost everything.

Check out Palm Coast, it is more of a family area and very clean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida