Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Time just goes by without any sense of it going by.
I have thought the same thing since being here.

Quote:

Maybe that is why so many old people like it here. Not me.
LOL!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Geez are you talking NC SC or FL? All 3 sound the exact same from what you wrote above
Except what he wrote is untrue for Florida.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,324 times
Quote:
Do you know what it is like to have a panic attack? Do you know what it is like to try to find a shady spot to walk in so you won't be under the blazing sun? Do you know what it is like to go into depression because all there is is sun, sun, and more sun? I cannot AVOID it. It is every single day. I woke up this morning and there was nothing but CLOUDS. I was overjoyed and planned on going out. By Noon the blazing sun was BACK.
First of all, I've suffered with panic attacks for the past six years, so YES I do know what it feels like and if that's what you're going through, I hope you DO find some relief soon. I wouldn't wish panic attacks on my worst enemy. They are AWFUL, but they can be controlled..although when I'm in the middle of it, it doesn't feel that way. I'm sure there is something your doctor can prescribe to help you, don't suffer with it on your own, no one should have to without some help. Panic can convince you that you're weak, and that's just NOT true. You DO have options.

[/quote]Stop making judgment calls about people and their situations which you know nothing about.[/quote]

I believe you misunderstood my post or perhaps didn't really read it.

Part of overcoming panic has to do with your inner self-talk and how you perceive what is going on in your life. One of my favorite books that really helped me out with my panic attacks was authored by Dr Claire Weeks. You can look it up. Excellent book.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:07 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
That's what I've heard. Been to Orlando once, didn't really care for it. That's why we're looking at the Gulf coast.
Smart move. Head to the Gulf area.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 PM

21 posts, read 91,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike peterson View Post
and some of us would rather not have cold weather and that is why we live in florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
another good point. I would rather have 3-4 months of winter than 9 months of heat and humidity.

amen!! Im thinking of moving to fl. From mn! I hate winter 6-7 months of it is crazy. I get depressed cuz we cant do anything. I dont like winter sports. I think this post is so entertaining! Tho . I love it.i waz born over in colombia south america. I think fl would b perfect for me as far as many months of sun. And lots of beaches!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
The only person I have ever met who hated the sun and heat like I do was a 16 year old girl at the condo where we used to live. She was a native Floridian. Her parents were native Floridians, and her grandparents were from Mexico. At first I thought she was a goth. She always wore dark clothes (jeans and dark shirts), big hats, and very dark shades. I never saw her in shorts or at the pool. When her family went to the beach, she stayed in the lobby reading. Her Dad went fishing with her bf and she stayed home. However, she would spend hours just sitting outside at night. I was out there too enjoying the cool darkness and we would wave and laugh. Just the two of us.

One really bad October day (88 degrees) she stopped me and started talking about how much she hated all this sun and heat in Florida. She told me she felt this way since she was a little kid and that she used to cry when her parents took her to the beach. They stopped taking her. Anyway, she wasn't a goth. It was amazing to me that many of the things she did, I did too. Maria said one way or another she was going to move someplace where it was "nice and cold and rainy" when she graduated HS. I was really very surprised to hear all this, especially coming from a "native".

Maria was the only person I ever, in all my 60 year, met who had the same adversion to summer weather that I have.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:04 PM

147 posts, read 568,699 times
10 years, 4 different regions of Florida, none were really for us. We are now very happy in Southern California

Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I was just perusing some lists on city-data

Top 101 larger cities with the highest real estate tax percentages.

Florida has no cities on the list

Top 101 cities with the highest average humidity

The first Florida city is Jacksonville in 59th place and a total of 12 on the list. That means 89 cities in other states are on the list, 58 with a higher average humidity than anyplace in Florida

Mr. Peterson your constantly complaining about peoples posts on here. This wasn't an I HATE FLORIDA post, or at least it didn't start out that way until you decided to challenge individuals reasons for leaving. Have you ever lived in another state? You have every right to defend the State in which you live and love but we also have the right to express our personal opinions as well without confrontation all the time. Statistical data isn't going to change someones mind if they are not happy where they live (no matter what state), its where your heart is.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Mr. Peterson your constantly complaining about peoples posts on here. This wasn't an I HATE FLORIDA post, or at least it didn't start out that way until you decided to challenge individuals reasons for leaving. Have you ever lived in another state? You have every right to defend the State in which you live and love but we also have the right to express our personal opinions as well without confrontation all the time. Statistical data isn't going to change someones mind if they are not happy where they live (no matter what state), its where your heart is.
My first challenge, as you call it, was to point out that Floridas property tax and HOI was not as high as many places up north as someone had erroneously suggested.

Had you read through the posts you would have seen that I do not challenge individuals reasons for leaving unless they post untruths. If someone says they do not like the traffic and think the people are unpleasant then I wish them well. If they say that Florida has the most humid weather in the country I will show them that they are wrong.

If you see a trend there it is that I do not confront someone in regards to their feelings, only faulty data.

In response to whether I have lived in another state or not. I don't believe that fact really has any bearing on what I posted.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,324 times
Default Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
My first challenge, as you call it, was to point out that Floridas property tax and HOI was not as high as many places up north as someone had erroneously suggested.

Had you read through the posts you would have seen that I do not challenge individuals reasons for leaving unless they post untruths. If someone says they do not like the traffic and think the people are unpleasant then I wish them well. If they say that Florida has the most humid weather in the country I will show them that they are wrong.

If you see a trend there it is that I do not confront someone in regards to their feelings, only faulty data.

In response to whether I have lived in another state or not. I don't believe that fact really has any bearing on what I posted.
Great post! I'm so sick and tired of people using their 'opinions' as facts. It REALLY annoys me. However, I do want all of those to know that despite these negative and often times, ERRONEOUS posts, I will STILL be moving to Florida because I tend to sort through all the muckety-muck to find the info I'm looking for. If I can't find it, then I direct message and my experience with that has been great. If you are reading through this thread in an effort to gain info on a move to Fla and you're alarmed by all of the negativity, just DM someone that tends to use actual FACTS to back up what they're saying and ask for info. PLEASE don't continue to read through negative posts and think that they're all true. The vast majority of them give info that is wrong or completely blown out of proportion...as I have found out myself.

Thanks to posters like gypsychic, AONE and Mike Peterson...just to name a few, I can still find my info in all of the cr@p on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida