Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times

Advertisements

hey Audrey - I'm heading to the Ft. Lauderdale Area - Weston/Coral Springs, not sure exactly where yet. I work and unfortunately will continue to work, but I'm going to keep at it trying to get a job.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 PM

32 posts, read 93,795 times
Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
hey Audrey - I'm heading to the Ft. Lauderdale Area - Weston/Coral Springs, not sure exactly where yet. I work and unfortunately will continue to work, but I'm going to keep at it trying to get a job.
I bet your boys will love it in Fl., mine do. Well, good luck!
I'm still trying to figure out exactly where we're going this summer... In that area I was looking at Delray Beach and Boca Raton. On the Gulf Side my brother in law has a condo in Naples and just raves about it, but he's a snow bird! I'm trying to find info from someone who lives there full time...
Anyway, I'm not moving out of this state, so maybe I'll get replies as to why I'm talking on this thread,better scoot out... talk to you later

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times
Good luck to you too. I'm sure you will find your way. I guess sometimes, you have to go somewhere else to either appreciate or unappreciate what you have left behind.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Yet another person calling a previous place they lived HOME.

People, if you call your old place HOME then you never should have left it.

My opinion is where I live is MY HOME. Not where I came from.

If you cannot let go of that old place you call HOME then you surely are in a hole from the start when you move to your new HOME.

Think about it, when we leave Ohio it will not longer be home. HOME is where the heart is and many of you cannot let go of the old place to call your new place home.

If you have lived in Florida 32 years then you wont like the old place because it has changed since you last lived there.

If it has been 4 years then for the life of me if I do not like the location I chose to move to, I guarantee you I wont sit there for 4 years under no circumstances.

I am finding out that most people who moved to Florida from somewhere else made the wrong decision in the first place and did not do your research on the state, town, schools, crime, jobs etc etc. So with that said it is showing me that these Florida haters are a total fault for not liking Florida because of the poor decision making.

I have yet to see one single Florida hater post that they made a mistake by moving to Florida and it was ALL their fault.

Come on people fess up to your mistakes, it is ok, you wont be held lower because of your honesty, for once I would like to see someone finally say "Hey it was my fault, I picked the wrong town etc"
I have to reply to this entire post. First thank you so much for your wisdom. I lived in FL since the day I was born so excuse me if you have no thought that moving to a mid-west state has been an adjustment, although I have come to appreciate the beauty in the seasons my heart still longs for a nice walk along the beach when ever I am feeling stressed, and the woods have helped.
I would never say moving and gaining an appreciation for another state has been a "mistake" on the other hand I have learned a great deal!
My home is where my family is, yes the place I lay my head at night and tuck my children into their nice comfy beds. I was referring to a "state of mind"
I have to add that if this was the reverse I would understand how someone could have the same feelings of missing "home". I guess I am a person who looks at anothers point of view first before I make my opinions.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You have been here 32 years or 4 years?
I was born in FL. as I posted in another quote I am very appreciative of living in OH. I have gotten to experience the most beautiful seasonal changes but I miss what I know as my "home" some people don't seem to understand that home can be different places at one time for some people.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Default You are building memories there

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelchris View Post
I have to reply to this entire post. First thank you so much for your wisdom. I lived in FL since the day I was born so excuse me if you have no thought that moving to a mid-west state has been an adjustment, although I have come to appreciate the beauty in the seasons my heart still longs for a nice walk along the beach when ever I am feeling stressed, and the woods have helped.
I would never say moving and gaining an appreciation for another state has been a "mistake" on the other hand I have learned a great deal!
My home is where my family is, yes the place I lay my head at night and tuck my children into their nice comfy beds. I was referring to a "state of mind"
I have to add that if this was the reverse I would understand how someone could have the same feelings of missing "home". I guess I am a person who looks at anothers point of view first before I make my opinions.
I don't know if anyone will understand this but, a house/place is not a home otherwise. It's just a place where you hang your hat. It is sterile. I would hope that anyone who is in real estate should know this if they have ever sold a house where someone has lived in and raised their family. It becomes a part of you. Your life is there. A state of mind as you said. Perhaps if you are young and building your own family, it is probably different. You can start anew and build your own memories, but when you are old and your life was somewhere else for so long, those memories, and all the people you made them with, are no longer there where you are now. That is probably how all those old people felt who were selling their homes and moving back.

A state of mind. Yes, that is very insightful. Apparently, even Billy Joel thinks so.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 PM

79 posts, read 213,600 times
Default Never should have left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
June 1986 to Jan 1987, left and it was a huge mistake, regretted it ever since.

Cannot wait to go back to Florida.

I can relate....moved from Ma. to Florida in April 2006, moved from Fl. to Ma. in Aug. 2008 and now moving back to Fl. in Aug. 2009....never should have left. I blame it on the "grass is always greener" syndrome...boy! was I wrong and it has been the most expensive lesson to date..to the tune of over 30,000.00. OUCH. Moving a family of 5 back and forth can be expensive, but at least I know where I want to be now and my husband is thankful for that!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,244,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMEGNA View Post
I can relate....moved from Ma. to Florida in April 2006, moved from Fl. to Ma. in Aug. 2008 and now moving back to Fl. in Aug. 2009....never should have left. I blame it on the "grass is always greener" syndrome...boy! was I wrong and it has been the most expensive lesson to date..to the tune of over 30,000.00. OUCH. Moving a family of 5 back and forth can be expensive, but at least I know where I want to be now and my husband is thankful for that!
You need to post more about your experiences as people like me see you as a valuable asset to us.
You have now had the experiences of not living in Florida, moving to Florida, moving out of Florida and then moving back.
Your input has a ton of value because you have experienced it both ways.

Please post more in depth about your experiences, feelings, likes etc. I am sure you do not want to post personal stuff but for me and I am sure others your input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I have often wondered about that place we call "home". It's rather odd actually. I am almost 50 yrs. old. Home is where I currently reside, but I still refer to my mother's home where I grew up and my childhood hometown as home.

I proabaly have deeper roots in my hometown than anywhere I have lived as an adult because I have never put down real roots and we moved so often after I married. I sometimes wonder what my children will call home because they never spent the amount of time in one house the way I did.

So yes, home is where the heart is for whatever reason, but it is not necessarily a place we would ever go back to. I for one will never move back to my little itty bitty hometown in central Illinois. I go back to visit relatives, but were it not for that, there would be no reason for me to return--but it will ALWAYS be the place I remember as home.

Another thing that I think is interesting, many people who move to Florida, stay for a few years, go back to where they came from because they "remember" life was better there--but THEN, some decide Florida wasn't all that bad after all. Many wish they could return. I have found myself in that situation more than once--which is why I am not so quick to judge Florida harshly when I think I want to live somewhere else. Been there, done that, at least 3 times--always returning to Florida.
I am finding out the more I read here this is the case for many people.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Well maybe you have an endless supply of money that allows you to just move.
Not an endless supply, but willing to work or learn new skills to make as much as I need to be able to make a decision that would better my families life.

Some are not willing to work alittle harder or more to accomplish something, we are.

If I were totally unhappy in Florida and did not have to money to move, I would be working 24 hours a day if I had to to make enough to get out.

I would not stay put in a place I am miserable while sitting on a computer typing when that time could be used more wisely, like a job that pays you money so you can leave.

And to answer your next question, no, we are NOT miserable were we are, we just know there is a better life ahead of us in FLORIDA.

We are sick of the cold, snow and not being able to do the things all of us enjoy. Sun, sand, ocean, beautiful skies, scuba diving, jet skis and so much more.

The gray skies and cold get old for people who enjoy being outside.

It is perfect here for those who live their lives indoors.

We miss Florida badly. The smell, the palm trees, the beaches, sunshine and sunset, just everything. We get a pit in out stomach when we talk about it and that is a daily thing in my home.

My kids tell their teachers we are moving to Florida someday soon. The teachers ask us, are you guys moving? because you daughter talks about it all the time!

We are waiting for the perfect time, between timing the school for the kids correctly and a small family health issue right now with an in law we are still looking forward to the day. Once we get the all clear we will be spending more time in the cities we believe would fit us.

We have already decided once we decide on the city in Florida, we will rent a home to see if the town fits our wants and needs. If it does not we will move on. We will not be selling our home here until we find that perfect town even if it takes time to do so.

Everything is resting on the health of an in law right now. We are in no hurry but still cannot stop thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida