Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am betting I have a more beautiful and higher quality house than you.
I suppose that the people up there are less superficial as well.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:25 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
My HOI and proptery tax are under $2K combined. I am betting I have a more beautiful and higher quality house than you.

Also, have you heard of reverse affective disorder? Don't think that people in FL don't need antidepressans from the unrelentless baking sun.
Good point.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:27 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I had it even in NY in the summers since I was a child. DREADED summers and hibernated. Just imagine what it is like living in Florida with year round summer. I have said many times that I would rather live in Maine than Florida. Anywhere without this endless sun, heat, and humidity.

To everyone else, just think about how YOU would feel with 12 months of winter.
Another good point. I would rather have 3-4 months of winter than 9 months of heat and humidity.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:39 PM

355 posts, read 990,618 times
Lived in South FL for 15 years......been away for about 4 years now and can't wait to get back. We are in the PNW and it is cold, dreary, and damp. Yuk!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:52 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Another good point. I would rather have 3-4 months of winter than 9 months of heat and humidity.
and some of us would rather not have cold weather and that is why we live in Florida

Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblan View Post
HA! Very funny! As if when you pay someone to clear your snow they're there whevever you need them...like early morning when you need to leave for work. Our driveway gets plowed when it snows, but we still need to dig our car out of the snow and freeze our butts off while we do it.

"Antidepressants during the winter months"...you must be joking!!! I HOPE you're joking!!!

By the way, I really don't understand how everyone says it's so much more expensive in Florida...I live in Upstate NY where it's SO much cheaper than most other places I've researched and most of Florida (with the exception of the wealthy areas, like anywhere else) is comperable.

I can't wait to move down there...I hope we last there longer than most =)
Seriously, I have NEVER had to "dig myself out". The snow removal service is great! Also, I am able to drive in just about any snow conditions with my AWD vehicle.

My job has openings EVERYWHERE. I receive at least one recruitment letter per week. I could live anywhere and support myself very well, even in Florida.

However, I choose to live where I am.

I love: downhill skiing in winter, getting cozy by the fireplace during a snow storm, going for walks when the leaves of the maple trees are glowing golden orange, swimming and boating in a nearby river or lake or at the neighborhood pool in the summer,( plenty of indoor pools around for cooler seasons), enjoying the fresh smell and colors of spring (lilacs are incredible!), ect.......

I love variety! When I need a break from winter, I visit Mexico for a couple weeks. Can't swim in the gulf or ocean in Florida during the winter months because the water temp. is too cold.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
[quote=tblan;7452406]HA!
"Antidepressants during the winter months"...you must be joking!!! I HOPE you're joking!!!

QUOTE]

I work in the medical field. I can assure you that MANY people take antidepressants only during the winter months. I see the medical records of quite a few people.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
I swear I have a love/hate relationship with Florida. I have been here exactly one year and two months. Today I truly loved Florida and the weather was beautiful. On other days, I get homesick for the North and then the next day, I recall why I wanted a change. Maybe this is a normal process of getting used to a new state. When I moved, I did not realize that relocating, even though it is good, is still a stressful event and a process. Does anyone else experience this?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
Someone told me that it takes up to 5 years when you move from one part of the country to a totally different part. You are in cultural shock. I thought, how did they pick this magical number? But the more people I talked to others, they told me the same thing. It took them more than a year and some up to 5 years to really get used to their new surroundings and to stop missing their old homes. I am one of the lucky ones. I disliked winters and I disliked Philadelphia so much that anything was better. Every time I came to Florida to visit an area or check on the house being built, I just had that feeling of home. When I moved, I never looked back. I have quite a bit of family in both Philly and New Jersey and I certainly will go back for visits, but never go back to live. Give yourself more time. Moving is so expensive and stressful. If you can persevere, stay put and explore your surroundings, you may end up pleasantly surprised. Good luck to you.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I swear I have a love/hate relationship with Florida. I have been here exactly one year and two months. Today I truly loved Florida and the weather was beautiful. On other days, I get homesick for the North and then the next day, I recall why I wanted a change. Maybe this is a normal process of getting used to a new state. When I moved, I did not realize that relocating, even though it is good, is still a stressful event and a process. Does anyone else experience this?
I know EXACTLY how you feel--and I've been in Orlando since June, 2001. I have even used the exact same terminology--that "love-hate" thing. I grew up in Illinois (relatives all still there--and I will never move back there), but had 2 aunts in Tampa--so we came down every Easter break. When you live up north and it's March or April--Florida is manna from heaven!

We also came down to Florida several times in the early days of my marriage--always wanting to stay. Long story short, in the 80's, I believe I (we) moved to Florida several times--only staying for a few months and then returning north again. We finally ended up in PA for 12 years. Got tired of the whole winter thing again--soooooooooo--moved back to Florida. This time with 4 kids in tow--so moving back and forth was no longer a responsible option for their sakes.

I have often been ready to go somewhere else--almost since I got here in 2001, but have had to stick it out because of the kids. I am still looking for my "utopia" and travel the southeast extensively in search of this. I always go in the dead of winter when I want to look around because winter is one thing I am never going back to.

This past December I spent the entire month traveling GA, NC, & VA--and it was a cloudy Dec in those states. Ahhhhhhh...returning to the relative warmth and sunshine of Florida was a reminder (again) of why I moved here. At this time of year it is hard to think of even wanting to live anywhere else. The weather is almost perfect!! However, all too soon those miserably hot, humid summers will be upon us and I will again be saying, "Get me out of here!". It's a vicious cycle I have been repeating for 8 1/2yrs now..

The kids will finally all finish HS in a couple of years, so I still go off in search of my utopia--but usually return to Florida thinking, "It's not really that bad here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida