Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
and some of us would rather not have cold weather and that is why we live in Florida
Why not California? What's the draw with Florida? California has pretty much the same year round weather, but dryer. The big part is NO HUMIDITY. What's the draw with humidity in FL? The winter months are even much more beautiful in CA with the Santa Ana winds blowing a nice breeze.

Let's not get into the economics of it, I've heard the argument about cost of living down here. Groceries are the same and in some cases more expensive, particularly the fruit.

I guess that's why CA is much more expensive than FL, because as some of you say, you get what you pay for. There must be a reason why it's cheaper to live here, as some of you claim.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Why not California? What's the draw with Florida? California has pretty much the same year round weather, but dryer. The big part is NO HUMIDITY. What's the draw with humidity in FL? The winter months are even much more beautiful in CA with the Santa Ana winds blowing a nice breeze.

Let's not get into the economics of it, I've heard the argument about cost of living down here. Groceries are the same and in some cases more expensive, particularly the fruit.

I guess that's why CA is much more expensive than FL, because as some of you say, you get what you pay for. There must be a reason why it's cheaper to live here, as some of you claim.
Does what you are asking make much sense? I am very happy where I live, why would I want to move?
You also say not to get into the economics of it but just for goof I did a search and I would have to pay at a minimum twice as much for a house similar to mine.
Seems like a no brainer to me. I will stay right where I am.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn

I work in the medical field. I can assure you that MANY people take antidepressants only during the winter months. I see the medical records of quite a few people.
I thought you were some high profile midwest celebrity? Like the local ABC affiliate news anchor or something? That's the way you made it sound.

Now I am disappointed.

Oh.... I'm interested in your beautiful home.... what architectural style is it? I'm assuming the glowing reviews you give it means its in a clearly identifiable style and not "1968 suburban tract home".... is it craftsman? Mid-century Modern? Colonial? "Prairie vernacular?"

Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
What I don't get here is people thinking that there is something wrong with those who actually love Florida. As I read some posts, I think to myself, ok, I must be missing something. There must be something wrong that I don't see. What I do see and experience is beautiful nature, warmth, friendly people, great activities, and my list goes on. Yes, we are in tough economic times, but people look, read, and listen....they are going on all over. Yes, Florida has taken a big hit, but as people pointed out, it needed correction especially when it came to houses. If I am looking at Florida with rose-colored glasses, then guess what, I am leaving them on! I like what I see and have no regrets.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 AM

263 posts, read 574,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
What I don't get here is people thinking that there is something wrong with those who actually love Florida. As I read some posts, I think to myself, ok, I must be missing something. There must be something wrong that I don't see. What I do see and experience is beautiful nature, warmth, friendly people, great activities, and my list goes on. Yes, we are in tough economic times, but people look, read, and listen....they are going on all over. Yes, Florida has taken a big hit, but as people pointed out, it needed correction especially when it came to houses. If I am looking at Florida with rose-colored glasses, then guess what, I am leaving them on! I like what I see and have no regrets.
Friendly people? I need to move to Odessa.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Default So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransientTranny View Post
I've been visiting here for just over a week, and I can't wait to leave. Outside of the sunshine factor, Florida is over-rated, over-priced, over-populated and stone-cold (in personaility, IMO).
I have lived here all my life. We will be leaving in roughly 2 yrs. I am counting the days! I can't wait to leave this state. HEAT, unbarable heat, starting this year in Feb! It has been in the 80s for a few days now and it's only Feb, wait until July & August. Plus the high cost of living but above all else it is the people that make me want to leave. The people down here are SO RUDE AND NASTY. Everyone is only out for themselves. You could be in dire need of help and you'd have a door slammed in your face. Nobody cares, life just goes on. Murders, hit and runs, it's all just part of life down here. I'll trade 24/7 sun for some peace of mind anyday. Of course there are always exceptions, no place is all bad all the time but the majority of time this is life at least in So. Fla.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post

The economics are just so inherently a part of it I don't see how you can separate them out. We'd have to more than double out household income to have a similar lifestyle in southern California, and that just wouldn't happen with the career fields we're in.

And then California has any number of problems that Florida doesn't.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I thought you were some high profile midwest celebrity? Like the local ABC affiliate news anchor or something? That's the way you made it sound.

Now I am disappointed.

Oh.... I'm interested in your beautiful home.... what architectural style is it? I'm assuming the glowing reviews you give it means its in a clearly identifiable style and not "1968 suburban tract home".... is it craftsman? Mid-century Modern? Colonial? "Prairie vernacular?"

If you are referring to an earlier post of mine, yes I am well known because of public work I do outside of my employment. I prefer to remain private because I do not want any of my opinions expressed on this forum to be construed into representing opinions of the organization I am involved with. Thanks for your concern.

The point I was making with my house was the difference in property tax rates from Florida and where I live. Mike Peterson wrote that my post was meaningless about this unless I provided details, which I then did. I didn’t intend to incite anger in disgruntled Floridians by this.

My point is, I trialed Florida life and prefer it here which is the subject of this thread. I only gave facts to back up my preference for this which seemed to have angered a few.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If you are referring to an earlier post of mine, yes I am well known because of public work I do outside of my employment. I prefer to remain private because I do not want any of my opinions expressed on this forum to be construed into representing opinions of the organization I am involved with. Thanks for your concern.

The point I was making with my house was the difference in property tax rates from Florida and where I live. Mike Peterson wrote that my post was meaningless about this unless I provided details, which I then did. I didn’t intend to incite anger in disgruntled Floridians by this.

My point is, I trialed Florida life and prefer it here which is the subject of this thread. I only gave facts to back up my preference for this which seemed to have angered a few.
i am curious, which facts did you use to back up your statement that your house is more beautiful than mine and higher quality?

i didn't say your post was meaningless, i said it was ridiculous.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I definetly don't feel negatively about ppl who do not share my views on Fla. Different strokes ya know. But I assure you that SOUTH Fla. will never be known for its warm, caring, kind and courteous folk. Yes there are always exceptions but when I can't even walk my dogs without almost getting run over or when ppl cut you in line at the store and threaten you at the gas station, you have to wonder. I am sure it must be different in other parts of the state.And with the heat, I just can't stand unrelenting heat for literally 10 mo. of the year. At least when I was a child we had some form of winter down here. Heck, it snowed on my birthday one year! I just can't wait to live in a place where ppl say "hello" and you actually have seasons not just Summer. Like someone said "imagine it being winter 12 mo. of the year". Take care everybody and have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida