Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times

Advertisements

There must really be some inexpensive places for HOI in Florida to have an average of $950 or so. I expected that we would have some of the lower rates at $1350 because I live almost pinpoint center of the state, not in a flood zone. We have insurance with State Farm. During '04 we did have some shingles fly off but no other damage. However, our rates have doubled in 3 years.

Last edited by FL_TN_Nana; 03-15-2007 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 12:36 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
We are closing on a brand new home next week. Our homeowner's insurance rate is $972/year. And although we are not in a flood zone therefore flood insurance is not required, we choose to take out a flood policy as well, which is $317/year. I don't think those rates are bad at all.
That rate will not last. I sounded just like you as everyone elses rate was going up and mine stayed low. Then $1700 became $4500 that became $7200. Nothing is in stone believe me.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM

54 posts, read 329,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
I didn't read the whole article but it did place Texas as having the highest homeowners insurance rates. Just piece of information for those who post here about moving to Texas.
i live on long island in new york i pay $1500 for my homeowners and another $1400 for flood even though my home has never flooded that includes hurricane gloria. we're not on the water although the great south bay is about a half mile away

Old 03-15-2007, 01:38 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Thanks. Somehow Pizza and Runs doesn't sound like the right combination though. But I'll take the pizza part. :-)
rofl VP

actually we just run around to the different places and see how close it is to the "real pizza"
next week hereinfla and I are going to try a place she said is very good

Karla

Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 31,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Geee,
your car ins is going to be more? OMG! I wonder what ours will be. Who are you with?
Geico - I called them for a quote with the new zip and it's quite a bit higher. My dad and mom are outside Ocala in Summerfield and their auto insurance went down quite a bit. I was looking for some good news after pricing out homeowners yesterday - not so much good news. I'm calling Nationwide and one other place for quotes. Geico was a lot cheaper up here than Nationwide (that's why we switched a few years ago). Maybe down there is different - we'll see. I'll let you know when the quotes come back who is the most competitive. Can I ask, which company are you using for homeowners in Florida? I'm still in the process of getting quotes for that.

thanks

Old 03-15-2007, 02:48 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Premiums can also vary greatly within certain states. Dense urban areas are more expensive than rural areas, according to the Consumer Federation of America, a consumer advocacy group based in Washington, D.C. And those living far away from construction materials--often the case in the Pacific Northwest--can expect a higher bill to offset the cost of transporting supplies.

The four most expensive states in which to insure a home, according to NAIC, are Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Florida. All fall within the bottom 16 states in terms of per capita income, according to the latest statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau. Mississippi, dead last in income, is the sixth most expensive place to insure a house. New Jersey, the national income leader, ranks a cozy 30th in home-insurance costs.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:04 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
We are closing on a brand new home next week. Our homeowner's insurance rate is $972/year. And although we are not in a flood zone therefore flood insurance is not required, we choose to take out a flood policy as well, which is $317/year. I don't think those rates are bad at all.
Congrats on your new home and new life in Florida.

I pay 1250 per year in Ohio, no flood or any extras.

From the date on the house we are looking at, not choosing yet, just looking at with comparable sq ft in Lakeland Area is 975 per year.

Looking around the great state of Florida, it various allot. Do you Florida posters agree?

REDWINGS, are you building around the Daytona area then?
Definetly beautiful area, if I wanted more up north it would be there or the panhandle.

Have you checked out the huge Flea Market close to the track? I met the original owner of it a few years back he parks his monster motor home way in back under the big roof top. Guess there is great money renting spaces !

Congrats on your new home ! Feels great doesn't it!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 PM

72 posts, read 389,258 times
gee, any follow up to home/auto insurance rates in Summerfield Florida?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
Quote:
It' official, today that had the list of the top 10 most expensive states to insure a home and FL was #4.

Even if that were true, so what? In our case when factoring in state income tax elsewhere, Fla is cheap. Even in "nirvana" ( tennessee/western north carolina ), when adding the costs of income tax there, Much higher health insurance, miscellaneous taxes, accountant to decipher how to file those state income taxes, we would be robbed for an additional $10-15,000.00 per year. And that's AFTER factoring in the insuirance and property tax "savings".

Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
But the average premium was said to be around $950.00. From everything I have been reading here, that sounds kind of low.
You're right, if someone was to take this forum as the final word on insurance rates, they'd be suprised to hear that the average premium is only $950 !

Like Myfask pointed out in an earlier post - $950 is pretty typical for Jacksonville. I pay even less and I'm just a few miles from the Ocean (and it's a new house, etc.).

That being said, we have the same problems as everywhere else in the state with companies dropping policies (notably Allstate and StateFarm), though that seems to have quieted down some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida