Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanyfl12 View Post
I 100% agree with the first post. Fort myers is just about the most werid and rude place I have ever lived. People can't drive!! , are very very disrespectful, and most are not college educated. I feel like I'm living in a totally different world. There are a lot of very strange events and people here. Everything is soooooo slow. It is nothing like the NYC metro area. I am a Long Islander and eventurally plan to move back to somewhere in ny. I know the east coast of florida is better and plan to move there.
Ok, I'm not defending Ft. Myers because I don't know much about what's happened there in the past few years. What I don't understand are some of the reasons you don't like it.

For instance, what does being college educated have to do with being respectful, having the ability to drive, or other routine interaction? If you didn't want a slower pace of life, why did you come south, especially to an area with a significant number of retired folks? There aren't many states or countries that have anything like NYC. Thankfully. You expected that in Florida? Why are you staying in Florida and moving to the east coast when you want to go back to NY? I just do not understand why people live in states they cannot stand. Isn't life too short to be so miserable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 11:59 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Oh, fellow New Yorker, tread carefully here. I had all my posts that defended being a "northerner" deleted.
I guess the moderator is from FL.

Funny...Me Too!! Mine was in the thread about Fl. drivers and riverratview. Yes mod must be a Floridian.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:13 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,520 times
Bitsburgh,
I am sorry for all of your bad luck. I think the reason people get angry on this forum is because there is a lot of Florida bashing going on. Even if the experiences only pertained to a single area, the whole entire state gets mentioned...crime in Florida...rude people in Florida...traffic in Florida. It's almost as though cities do not divide Florida into sections. And I know that you did mention an area, but that was overlooked....it still appeared to be Florida bashing, especially since you started with "Where the hell am I? I will be relocating to Florida with my family soon and that is my biggest fear...that we will spend our savings and be overwhelmed with the move in general and find that we are not happy. However, I still am looking forward to my move because I think I did enough homework on location. I know for some that can't be helped because moving comes with a job transfer so they end up stuck in a not so nice place. I hope your bad luck passes if you stay, and if not good luck in whereever you decide to go...after what you've been through you deserve a break.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Bitsburgh,
I am sorry for all of your bad luck. I think the reason people get angry on this forum is because there is a lot of Florida bashing going on. Even if the experiences only pertained to a single area, the whole entire state gets mentioned...crime in Florida...rude people in Florida...traffic in Florida. It's almost as though cities do not divide Florida into sections. And I know that you did mention an area, but that was overlooked....it still appeared to be Florida bashing, especially since you started with "Where the hell am I? I will be relocating to Florida with my family soon and that is my biggest fear...that we will spend our savings and be overwhelmed with the move in general and find that we are not happy. However, I still am looking forward to my move because I think I did enough homework on location. I know for some that can't be helped because moving comes with a job transfer so they end up stuck in a not so nice place. I hope your bad luck passes if you stay, and if not good luck in whereever you decide to go...after what you've been through you deserve a break.
Margel - if I recall correctly you are building in Odessa, right? I would say you did your homework well, I think it's a beautiful area, and very convenient to other nice areas. I don't think you will need to worry about anything. It's a place I wouldn't mind living in myself!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:35 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,520 times
Thanks Gypsychic. That's nice to know!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Sarah, how awful!!! Do you have this big black cloud over you or do these things happen to everyone in your area? Just curious about what your bug exterminator mentioned to you. Did your house have termites at one time? I understand that if your house has termites, they put little openings in certain parts of your house and have to spray in them to get rid of the termites.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,127 times
Sorry I didn't reply sooner . . . thought your thread was directed to NYers. I totally, totally understand and sympathize. And please, please, please understand that this is NOT a Florida thing. It is a SW FL thing. I moved down to St. Pete from Chicagoland (where I was born and raised) and NEVER experienced problems such as these. I am going back to St. Petersburg ASAP. I am sorry for you, but I am also relieved and glad to see someone else posting on City-Data the REAL TRUTH about this area. What is it, really? Well, I have spent the last almost four years scratching my head, trying to make sense of it, trying to convince myself that "there is just absolutely NO WAY" that any one place or its people could be this way CONSISTENTLY, but to no avail. It is what it is, and please do whatever it takes to get out of here before something horrible happens to you, notwithstanding all of the emotional trauma you are experiencing day in and day out. You can still live in FL, if you wish, but do not live in S. FL or in SW FL. Go north of here, and do not stop until you get to at least Venice, FL, and from there on north on the West Coast of FL, you will find some sense of FL and normalcy. I'm here with you experiencing all of what you described . . .and good job doing it, by the way. Feel free to send me a private message if I can help in some way. Take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Southwest Florida has to be "experienced" to comment on.
I also forgot to mention in recent post that it is NOT the suffering person's fault, attitude, or lifestyle that is to blame. This isn't a "life is what you make it" moment. No amount of good attitude, law of attraction thing, or any positive thinking can overcome whatever looms over this area of FL. I have many, many stories such as this one - my own included - and we were all previously very positive, well-adjusted, happy, and successful people prior to coming down here. It IS like a Stephen King novel, Hiknapster. Thank you for that observation. Very well stated. This place is a hellmouth. I always joke that if there is an alternate location for Armageddon, SW FL is definitely it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburgsarah View Post
Wow
I guess no one or should i say some floridians didnt understand my question well of course you didnt because it wasnt directed towards you. please...the whining and complaining i am not sorry that i value my life and other peoples lifes ..and think what apparently floridians think is the norm is SO NOT you really think people should sacrifice that i guess you chose for the chemicals to be pumped through your homes walls .. explains alot...also yeah my boyfriend is a master technician how you can compare that position to a walmart position tickles me pink...ignorance is such a shame ... again maybe if i write in capitol letters for you it will sink in...IM NOT BASHING FL .... I JUST WANTED TO HEAR FROM OTHER NEW YORKERS NOT FLORIDA PEOPLE IF THEY HAVE GONE THROUGH SIMILIAR SITUATIONS i could care less what you think about me or new york, if you are a floridian and something crazy happened to you then fine ..reply thanks for your thoughts....also for your information we flew here first for a job interview this was a job transfer move but you cant really know a place until you lived there. Not all of fl is bad ... theyre are some nice places... but this particuliar area is like living in the wild west. Its just insanely morbid here. Its just my opinions and expierances. redwings you said do what you want and all that crap what the hell are you talking about did you even read my first comment my whole reason for this thread.. its not about doing what i want ...its about things that have happend to me.. my gosh what is wrong with you people?
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that anyone can do any type of research prior to moving here that will alert the person who is relocating about how very crazy people and life here, in general, is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse View Post
I'm right there with you bitburgsarah....Since moving here from Upstate NY I've had nothing but Bad Luck. I'm also on my way out too. Like you said this place surely isn't for everyone. I knew this the first week here. Hated it ever since. I will be relieved to be around normal decent honest social people once again.
I really appreciate your thoughts here on this thread, and I want to thank you for being honest and being so supportive of someone else who is apparently experiencing "real life" down here in SW FL. Not only is it important to help validate still another person who is experiencing hardship here, but it is also equally important to state the facts so that others considering the area will be warned. Life here is so nonsensical that it is nearly unbelievable even for the person who is living it. This is not a "Florida" thing. This is a SW FL thing. I, also like you, will be relieved to be around normal, decent, honest, and social people once again! It will also be good to be back in an area of FL where the job market and payscale makes some sense for professional-type people. Good luck to everyone who is on their way out. Who will be first to start the caravan?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 PM

45 posts, read 305,457 times
And I thought I was the only one with the Black Cloud. I did extensive research on the SW Florida area and on the web it looks great. I also checked out this site but at the time it was fairly new and I didn't get much info, now its loaded with info. I just wish someone would have told me how bad Red Tide was, I lost my Mother to it last October. I moved out of that area after only 10 months, I'm back in the Keys where the air is safer to breathe. Florida is a great state, its the SW Florida area I would never go to again. We came from PA many years ago and also would never go back to that area also, its got its own problems.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:16 PM

60 posts, read 285,066 times
Default Am I making the biggest mistake of my life?

I am moving to SW Florida from NY in May. I already own a condo there for years. I have been going down there for years. But reading all the threads about how horrible life is there is giving me second thoughts. I will be looking for a job when I get there. Is that impossible to get? I know everything has gone up and salaries are very low but will I alone be able to survive?
Should I stay in NY?
Should I take a chance and move?
Should I sell the condo?

Old 03-19-2007, 03:39 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
I am moving to SW Florida from NY in May. I already own a condo there for years. I have been going down there for years. But reading all the threads about how horrible life is there is giving me second thoughts. I will be looking for a job when I get there. Is that impossible to get? I know everything has gone up and salaries are very low but will I alone be able to survive?
Should I stay in NY?
Should I take a chance and move?
Should I sell the condo?

Jannie, you're going to let a few strangers decide your future for you??? I don't live in SW Florida so I can't comment but even if I did, it would only be my opinion. You say you already own a condo there and you've been going there for years... so what do you think??? Go to your condo, spend some time there, and make up your own mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida