Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 AM

5 posts, read 12,660 times

Advertisements

Florida is a big state. To say that all of Florida is crazy, recklace, and rude would be very wrong. I lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area for at least 12 years. We use to think it was the New Yorkers who were rude. But in fact because it's such a transient state with people from all over the world coming there (mostly spanish, hatian, canadian, New Yorkers) you will get some rudeness going on because of the clash of these cultures and how over populated it is. I now live in the Florida Panhandle (Panama City) and don't see every day rudeness here or reckless endangerment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 02:27 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,013 times
This isn't a New Yorker specific problem. I live here in Ft. Myers, am not originally from NY, and actually lived somewhere else in FL prior to being here. This place is so very different that one should have to pass through Customs when entering. I would rather live in a neighborhood filled with New Yorkers who are educated, hard-working, and honest in all their dealings - both professionally and personally - than what I'm living around now. And I'm in a "GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD". Something is really very wrong in all of Lee County, and people who do not live here cannot say what that is. Heck, people who do live here cannot say what it is. It is absolutely mind-boggling. And as far as being crude, rude, and uncoeth, there has been no shortage of any of those things in the responses to the original poster. We all have an opinion, and I think we could all do better here.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 PM

69 posts, read 394,073 times
Wow! Sorry for your bad experiences in such a short time. I lived in Brevard County for several years and never had a problem. Maybe you're in a wrong part of Florida. You mentioned you are from New York. New Yorkers and other northeasterners generally settle on the east coast of Florida, and midwesterners on the west coast. I knew plenty of New Yorkers in Brevard who lived on the west coast, and they liked the east coast better because it felt more like home. On the same token, I knew many who were just miserable and loudly told everyone of that fact.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 PM

23 posts, read 84,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer-2t View Post
Maybe you should go back to school here in Florida and learn more about grammar and punctuation. Unfortunatly, the school you went to up North did a disservice to you.
"unfortunately" is actually the correct spelling so relax if you must know i am writing my thoughts and YES my thoughts run on and on and on and yes my spelling is incorrect.. didnt realise this was an english grammar course that you would be grading me on i totally thought this thread was about something else.. what a silly little new yorker i am.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 84,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
I am moving to SW Florida from NY in May. I already own a condo there for years. I have been going down there for years. But reading all the threads about how horrible life is there is giving me second thoughts. I will be looking for a job when I get there. Is that impossible to get? I know everything has gone up and salaries are very low but will I alone be able to survive?
Should I stay in NY?
Should I take a chance and move?
Should I sell the condo?
Hi Jannie, Jobs are easy to get here and if you have a bachelors degree career or more your salary will be lower but it evens out with the low cost of living. It has been a few weeks since i have been on this site and although my "black cloud" is still lingering sadly said i am just getting used to what i see, feel, and expierance here. Pretty disgusting thought huh, getting used to fatal car accidents everyday, getting the cops called on you at a gas station because you show them your ny license and want a refund on an expired item you noticed you bought after you walk out(ciggarettes) the women said sorry i cant refund and she was the manager. i called her b*tch because she wouldnt give me my money back and she calls the cops on me. i was wrong yes for using a sware word but it seems as if you have to get peoples attention down here in other ways... it only gets worse butttttttttttttt.. it is your opinion that matters not mine the only other advice i could give you is read the daily newspaer for this area if that doesnt change your mind then youll be fine!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 AM

93 posts, read 370,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
With all due respect, but seriously, why don't you just leave?
Agreed! I was born and grew up in NYC. The taxes, dirt, filth, traffic! Try driving anywhere in NYC Mon to Fri. It is beyond ridiculous. English is a second language, shootings, dope, gangs.....Russians, Albanians, crips, bloods....even the "mob" is leaving ! Theme song of Long Island...EXODUS New York lost seats in congress due to the exodus. Granted the population increased..Illegals

I moved to Sarasota 6 yrs ago and have not seen anything as described by the fellow in Ft. Meyers. So please, do leave and take a few with you.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 AM

341 posts, read 1,486,955 times
Kind of funny hearing someone from NY talk about misadventures in Florida. lol! But I assure you it's everywhere. You are less likely to notice problems if you are living in a place you like or are from. There's nutty people & problems allllll over! Welcome to Earth!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 PM

75 posts, read 347,791 times
"getting the cops called on you at a gas station because you show them your ny license and want a refund on an expired item you noticed you bought after you walk out(ciggarettes) the women said sorry i cant refund and she was the manager. i called her b*tch because she wouldnt give me my money back and she calls the cops on me. i was wrong yes for using a sware word but it seems as if you have to get peoples attention down here in other ways..."

I don't think the person at the gas station was picking on you. Unless you paid exact change for the cigarettes, you are very unlikely to get a refund. People will buy a pack of cigarettes go outside and try to exchange an expired pack for a fresh one, or if you paid with a $20.00 dollar bill you could be paying with counterfeit money. This happens everywhere, not just in SW FL. ALL retail companies are becoming very weary of giving refunds because of all the ripoff artists. Especially those pesky travelers.
And calling people names doesn't really help. I think you need to try to relax and let things go. Good Luck!

Last edited by GSD101; 04-09-2007 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: forgot quotation marks

Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 AM

30 posts, read 238,462 times
Coyote Blond
I agree with you I am in IN now as well, but in 2 months I am going home to FL. I cant wait to get back to all the so called "mess" by yankees. Yup thats waht I call them. I was born and raised in Florida and have lived in most of the states East of the Mississippi river and in Huston as well. Your right its everywhere.
To all you people who are whineing in FL. Go find a nice quite beach, yes you can find one if you look. sit under a palm tree, take a few deep breaths, and relax. Find your inner peace and learn to cope with things. Life is what you make of it.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Coyote Blond
To all you people who are whineing in FL. Go find a nice quite beach, yes you can find one if you look. sit under a palm tree, take a few deep breaths, and relax. Find your inner peace and learn to cope with things. Life is what you make of it.

exactly....everywhere has many, many problems...everyone wants utopia, there is none, anywhere....happyness comes from within and too many people think moving to another state will make them happy, nope, doesnt work that way...life is life no matter where u r
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida