Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,691 times

Advertisements

I have done a lot of research only to confuse myself even more.
I have some specific topics I am concerned about.
We are moving from a "rough" city and want the exact opposite if possible.
My husband was offered a job in Lakeland and we are THRILLED to get out of this horrific town in South Carolina (Crime).
Okay here goes...

our price limit is $190,000. We are looking within 20 miles of Lakeland. We want the lowest crime rate possible. A great family place because this is where we will finally start our family =). Have dogs so need some space.
Okay... here are my concerns.

I heard of the Lakeside Village in Lakeland. We have the EXACT same thing here (same builder ect.) And it is a georgous family place....but when Saturday night hits RUN! it is soo ghetto and dangerous. All the teens come out (parents must drop them off. Many shootings, stabbings robberies assaults etc. (I work there currently). Is this shopping center the same on Saturday nights? Where do you go on a saturday night? (im 25 my hubby is 30).

Next. every other post says to stay out of subdivisions. So if you can't live in a subdivision, where do you live? I guess I only know subdivisions and am unsure of anything else. (I currently live in a subdivision that is giong downhill FAST so I kinda understand). Clarify for me.

Okay we are a young couple who likes to explore and have fun. Sports, parks, shopping, eating, is our thing. We will be having a baby soon hopefully so need a safe place to raise a family. Which town do you suggest in our price range?

I know it's a lot but thught I would hit most of it in one blow!

Heather
Gillilandheather@aol.com (feel free to e-mail me direct)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 AM

717 posts, read 2,801,060 times
There are many areas that will be considered "safe" and "family friendly"--within Lakeland and in the surrounding towns. The town of Brandon and all the areas around it are good family towns. Brandon is between Lakeland & Tampa. Are you looking to be in more of a suburban area or do you want to be in a smaller town?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 AM

17,480 posts, read 38,908,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
I have done a lot of research only to confuse myself even more.
I have some specific topics I am concerned about.
We are moving from a "rough" city and want the exact opposite if possible.
My husband was offered a job in Lakeland and we are THRILLED to get out of this horrific town in South Carolina (Crime).
Okay here goes...

our price limit is $190,000. We are looking within 20 miles of Lakeland. We want the lowest crime rate possible. A great family place because this is where we will finally start our family =). Have dogs so need some space.
Okay... here are my concerns.

I heard of the Lakeside Village in Lakeland. We have the EXACT same thing here (same builder ect.) And it is a georgous family place....but when Saturday night hits RUN! it is soo ghetto and dangerous. All the teens come out (parents must drop them off. Many shootings, stabbings robberies assaults etc. (I work there currently). Is this shopping center the same on Saturday nights? Where do you go on a saturday night? (im 25 my hubby is 30).

Next. every other post says to stay out of subdivisions. So if you can't live in a subdivision, where do you live? I guess I only know subdivisions and am unsure of anything else. (I currently live in a subdivision that is giong downhill FAST so I kinda understand). Clarify for me.

Okay we are a young couple who likes to explore and have fun. Sports, parks, shopping, eating, is our thing. We will be having a baby soon hopefully so need a safe place to raise a family. Which town do you suggest in our price range?

I know it's a lot but thught I would hit most of it in one blow!

Heather
Gillilandheather@aol.com (feel free to e-mail me direct)
We lived in Lakeland for a year and a half - our beautiful Lakeside Village is a GORGEOUS family friendly place, and I am not aware of a single bad thing ever happening there. The young folks do go down there, but they don't seem the type to get into mischief. Also, this center is located on the south side of town which is the NICEST part of Lakeland. Many beautiful areas to live south of downtown. Very clean, lots of parks, beautiful lakes, you would enjoy it. Stay away from the immediate north of downtown, and don't go east of Bartow Road. It is pretty easy to see where the really nice areas are when you visit the area.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,564,542 times
When looking in subdivisions, research and ask about the number of vacancies. Subdivisions with a lot of foreclosures can attract undesirable activity.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 7,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
There are many areas that will be considered "safe" and "family friendly"--within Lakeland and in the surrounding towns. The town of Brandon and all the areas around it are good family towns. Brandon is between Lakeland & Tampa. Are you looking to be in more of a suburban area or do you want to be in a smaller town?
We are a young couple so we enjoy getting out a having things to do. NOt too picky about the size of the town, just as long as there is some fun things to do (shopping, restaurants, parks etc.) close by (whithin 20 minutes drive). We have dogs who love to run so we would like an area or neighborhood with decent size yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida