Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk expats View Post
We are planning on a move from AZ to FL in May and have been looking at Lakeland.As a nurse I need a good hospital and the local Southlake hospital looks good,any coments...
Not too familiar with this area and any input,good or bad,would be appreciated.Info on schools (2 kids grades 2&3) and local activities golf,walks etc..
Thanks for any help you can give us.
My view of Lakeland is a bit different than the posts so far. I find it to be a bit isolated and not quaint. It's bland and full of franchises, not much of a small town charm and the location is probably the worst. It takes awhile to get to a major airport. I think there are many other locations that would be better. I'd advise to visit first before deciding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My view of Lakeland is a bit different than the posts so far. I find it to be a bit isolated and not quaint. It's bland and full of franchises, not much of a small town charm and the location is probably the worst. It takes awhile to get to a major airport. I think there are many other locations that would be better. I'd advise to visit first before deciding.
I wonder if you have ever even been there...

Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wonder if you have ever even been there...
Yep, our agent back when we were in the market showed us properties all the way from Heathrow to Lakeland. What in your opinion makes Lakeland standout?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I don't know for everyone opinion on what makes Lakeland stand out or not stand out. Also I have never lived in Lakeland However I did notice as far as the majority of Florida, especially north of South Fla. Lakeland actually has a main street with shops and restaurants. A place where people can get out of their cars and walk. Those lakes behind the downtown with all the nice neighborhoods. Again people can get out and walk. Enjoy some of that Fla sunshine and warm weather during wintertime. It just has a liveable neighborhood feel to it. At least in some areas of Lakeland that is. As most places in America though. Suburban sprawl quickly takes over. Still Lakeland I think sticks out in the way it was designed, over many places in Fla or the sunbelt regions. I wasn't surprised to see Massachusetts ave running thru it. I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised. if some of the developers of Lakeland were not from New England. Or they were modeling Lakeland's downtown area, to have that homey get out and walk feel to it. Plus all the surrounding neighborhoods like one sees in the Northeast or even in some of the Midwest.

So that to me is what makes Lakeland standout. It has a very unique and well developed central core to it. When comparing it to the majority of other Florida's communities. Especially places like Brandon FLorida. Which to me is one of the most poorly designed communites in the Tampa Orlando corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida