Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey Pooring, I'm a native NYer and you seem to think I'm nice, am I an anomoly? Do you really think that there are no nice people here? I once offered a ride to a person whose train had been rerouted and was trying to get to LaGuardia for a flight to Mich. for x-mas. She thought that it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done ever. To the poin that she called her mom to tell her that a real NYer actually gave her a ride to the airport and didn't want anything in return. LOL - wait, I think I just proved your point.

Seriously, I think there are rude people everywhere and you have to take them with a grain of salt.
Chelsea, you are so right, there are rude people everywhere and nice people everywhere - no city or state has a monopoly on either type! I am constantly bewildered when people talk about all the "rude" people here - they can NOT be referring to where I live or anywhere in Florida I have lived - I have encountered super nice people whether native or from other states. Sure, I meet some rude ones, but I would not call them a majority. And funny enough, lately I have been meeting a lot of people down here in the Sarasota area who are from NY and NJ, and they are super friendly and happy to be here! So, I guess I'm saying I wish people would not make generalizations about people from anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM

158 posts, read 503,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You said

And you sir were wrong.

link

link

Anyone can throw out quantitative data out there and try and argue their point (such as how you tried to do with your post). The problem with that is, reality doesn't always agree with this manipulation of data.
There is no minipulation of data. The data are fact and estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, the American Planning Association, and both FAIR and the Pew Hispanic Research Center.

lol... You accuse me of minipulation of data and throw out some United Van Lines annual summary on where they think people are moving or not moving based on shipments? I didn't realize they were in the census business. Or do they on the monopoly on moving companies and truck rentals. Don't use that in court...

But please explain how my statement of MOST states probably seeing a decline in out-of-state drivers license applications was wrong. I failed to see where the FAR article was relavent not to mention that it was the conclusion of some UF economists? ...LOL. You could find other university economist with strikingly different projections. Talk about manipulation of data...

Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
There is no minipulation of data. The data are fact and estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, the American Planning Association, and both FAIR and the Pew Hispanic Research Center.

lol... You accuse me of minipulation of data and throw out some United Van Lines annual summary on where they think people are moving or not moving based on shipments? I didn't realize they were in the census business. Or do they on the monopoly on moving companies and truck rentals. Don't use that in court...

But please explain how my statement of MOST states probably seeing a decline in out-of-state drivers license applications was wrong. I failed to see where the FAR article was relavent not to mention that it was the conclusion of some UF economists? ...LOL. You could find other university economist with strikingly different projections. Talk about manipulation of data...
great points, your 1999 to 2000 data is totally relevant to 2007/2008 outflows. You people crack me up.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 PM

263 posts, read 574,474 times
Chelsa, you are awesome! I am talking about the usually NY'ers I come across day to day. I like people no matter where they are from of they are nice and good people. It just happens that a lot of times, the people I find to be rude or arrogant, are from NY/NJ or Massachusetts. Especially on the roads when driving. I have seen some things so blatant and rude, it makes me cringe. Look at places with a really high concetration of NY/NJ drivers (Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jax, Palm Coast), and look at how bad the driving is.

http://blog.angerclassonline.com/2008/02/5-angriest-cities-in-united-states.html
[SIZE=3]#5. Orlando, FL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE]Orlando is the home to the world famous "happiest place on earth" and many other popular tourist attractions including Universal Studios, Sea World, Gatorland, and many others. It is host to over 50 million visitors every year. And as a result it's unemployment rate is half the national average. So it shouldn't be a very angry place.

But the crime statistics speak otherwise. Not only does Orlando's violent crime rate 2.8 times the national average, but the aggravated assulat rate is 3.2 times the national average. Although not the highest road rage city in our study it is the highest road rage state. The next highest state being New York.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215906,00.html
The home of family-friendly fare, Disney World's Orlando? It's the King of Rage at No. 1. And the land of tranquil retirements, Florida, earned three more places on the top 10 angriest cities — St. Petersburg (No. 2), Miami (No. 7) and Jacksonville (No. 9) — making it easily the U.S.'s most ticked-off state.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18665115/
Miami drivers have the worst road rage
City earns not-so-distinguished distinction for second year in a row

Last edited by Pooring Footers; 02-20-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Thank you - I disagree with those who think all NYers are rude, but we have more than our fair share of them. Just before you speak of your rud encounter think about the situation at hand. People in general are grumpy on their way to work, so, is it the best time to ask someone to take a picture of you in front of the Gucci store?? Probably not. If I'm at lunch, please by all means ask me no problem. But, people do say that I am nicer than most. I just want to treat people how I would like to be treated - you know what I mean. Common sense plays a big part in how I perceive people too.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I know - I can't argue it - I go through it every day unfortunately, but it seems my escape to SFL is no escape at all, I'm just destined for some more Newyorkdom (sounded good in my head). Hopefully, I'll find it to be better than my current living situation.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:27 PM

158 posts, read 503,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
great points, your 1999 to 2000 data is totally relevant to 2007/2008 outflows. You people crack me up.
U.S. Census data is the only comprehensive credible data and only occurs every decade. All other "demographic" stats and predictions like those from "United Van Lines"[LMAO]... and some random UF economic professors are basically pure speculation or total horses---. But it proved the point of NC's foreign-born immigration rate over a 10 year period and relevent to the argument.

Come back in 2010 and I'll blow you away with more factual data. And maybe we can compare that to Mayflower or U-Haul's findings.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Chelsea, you are so right, there are rude people everywhere and nice people everywhere - no city or state has a monopoly on either type! I am constantly bewildered when people talk about all the "rude" people here - they can NOT be referring to where I live or anywhere in Florida I have lived - I have encountered super nice people whether native or from other states. Sure, I meet some rude ones, but I would not call them a majority. And funny enough, lately I have been meeting a lot of people down here in the Sarasota area who are from NY and NJ, and they are super friendly and happy to be here! So, I guess I'm saying I wish people would not make generalizations about people from anywhere.
I wonder if some people who move down here expect to get treated the same in day to day life as they did when they were just down here on vacation. You know, when 90%+ of the locals they encountered were on the clock at the time and were therefore being paid to be totally super-nice and could like actually lose their jobs if they didn't cater to the vacationer's every whim.

And then once the hospitality crowd goes off the clock, it's not like they turn into evil rude people (for the most part, at least) it's just that they're not pretending for the sake of the guests anymore and are being their real selves. Who are generally nice people but who are going to act first for their own best interests instead of yours.

I shop at a Publix that runs about 2:1 in terms of vacationers/locals and a while back I was going into the regular polite banter with the bakery clerk about being glad that summer tourist season was over because we were sick of fighting the traffic all the time, and the tourista lady waiting behind me went off on this long-winded rant about how she couldn't believe that we were saying what we were and how grateful we should be that she's bought her beach condo down here and spending money in the store and how this place wouldn't be what it was without her.

We shared The Look with the bakery clerk, who was left to deal with Ms. Self-Entitlement's request for bread slicing as we escaped back toward produce.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I know - I can't argue it - I go through it every day unfortunately, but it seems my escape to SFL is no escape at all, I'm just destined for some more Newyorkdom (sounded good in my head). Hopefully, I'll find it to be better than my current living situation.
Chelsa, if you are headed to S FL, I would say you are not going to see any "escape." It will be more of the same thing. Leaving NY for S FL to escape rudeness and all the BS would be like moving from Wisconsin to Minnesota to escape the cold. Just being honest.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:33 PM

"But it proved the point of NC's foreign-born immigration rate over a 10 year period and relevent to the argument."

I have met a lot of Mexicans and the like in NC, there are many. A lot of them are very nice, and hard working folks. With that being said, I would rather be around them then a lot of the population in Miami that are rude and arrogant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida