Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 PM

263 posts, read 572,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I and the entire population of North Florida are very happy indeed to disappoint you.

This is precisley the attitude that makes you unwelcome here. A domestic Ugly American.
Agreed! But the problem is, they are everywhere else throughout the state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,091,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Agreed! But the problem is, they are everywhere else throughout the state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is fine with me as long as they do what ANY reasonable person moving to a new area would do - adapt to the local culture and environment.

The more educated Northerners who are moving down here to get away from the rat race aren't the problem. It is the hordes of uneducated, underfinanced losers that move here to escape Newark, but don't change their habits or tastes, and thus change their environment to exactly what they were running from in the first place.

And complain. My God these people complain about everything. It never seems to occur to them that some Southerner does something a certain way because we like it that way. There is an effin' reason we have been doing things that way for 400 years. That, and the automatic assumption (usually wrong) that anyone with a Southern accent is a bumpkin.

Might as well say anyone with a NY/NJ accent is in the mafia, since that's all we hear on the Sopranos.

They are destroying one of the unique subcultures of the US, and acting as if they are doing everyone a big favor. They aren't. They are making this place look like everywhere else in the US.

No thanks. There is a reason I don't live in South Florida, and it has more to do with this attitude than any language issues.

Give me pushy Cubans any day. At least they HAVE a culture.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:02 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times
Take it easy Mental - you are right it is annoying to hear someone say those things, where ever they are from. Funny, because my stories always are "man you would never get this like this in NY"

Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 PM

"It is the hordes of uneducated, underfinanced losers that move here to escape Newark, but don't change their habits or tastes, and thus change their environment to exactly what they were running from in the first place."

I agree completely. You forgot to mention how rude they often are.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 PM

Ugh - I hate to admit it, but you are so right. Why leave a place only to make the next place you go just like the one you left. Please stop spreading the poison, keep it to a limited area please.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,091,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
"It is the hordes of uneducated, underfinanced losers that move here to escape Newark, but don't change their habits or tastes, and thus change their environment to exactly what they were running from in the first place."

I agree completely. You forgot to mention how rude they often are.
They call it being "real" or something like that.

But this is what I am talking about. If you were raised in the South a certain level of manners and subtlety in speech was expected of you. That is part of this culture, good or bad.

So when people come down here, into this culture, and act like they do "back home" it comes off as rude. Even worse, they know this and don't seem to care, which makes it that much more rude. It's like they don't care that the people around them find their behavior obnoxious.

It is the same syndrome that gets American tourists a bad rap overseas: going into a restaurant in Tuscany and complaining about how there is no ice in the drinks and wondering why there is no Chicken Parmesan on the menu.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM

I know what you mean Chelsa, sorry. Why not a different part of FL, like the northern (and the best!) part? You can have the beaches and warm yr round weather with all the BS.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 PM

All of my family has recently moved there in the past few years so, hubby is pretty much sent on the Ft. Lauderdale area. Who knows where we will end up but for now our plan remains the same.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Rude is rude sweety no matter where you go - I hate people using demographics as an excuse for being rude. It just isn't. If you were raised properly then you adapt appropriatey to each individual situation. If you are in an area where people don't talk loud, curse and carry on, then act accordingly. The whole Ima be me no matter what is just so annoying!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:13 PM

568 posts, read 1,474,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
I have been eagerly awaiting for all of this so called "Southern Charm" to disappear for a long time, hopefully I do not have to wait too much longer.

Lmaooo.. Typical rude New Yorker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida