Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,495,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Thank you.

Now tell 10,000 of your friends the same story, so this beautiful and largely unspoiled place will remain that way.
You mean swamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,091,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Rude is rude sweety no matter where you go - I hate people using demographics as an excuse for being rude. It just isn't. If you were raised properly then you adapt appropriatey to each individual situation. If you are in an area where people don't talk loud, curse and carry on, then act accordingly. The whole Ima be me no matter what is just so annoying!
I agree. I'm not buying the "well that's how we do it back in X".

My response usually is "so is everyone from X an *******, is that what you are saying?"

Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
There you go again - I'm a nice New Yorker and I don't call you rude for saying he is rude - some may say that the proper etiquette would be to not respond to him.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You mean swamp.

I live on a hill, in Florida, surrounded by other hills all covered with trees and pleasantly devoid of geographically ignorant Yankees.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,495,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I live on a hill, in Florida, surrounded by other hills all covered with trees and pleasantly devoid of geographically ignorant Yankees.
Without Yankees and their money Florida would be uninhabitable as it was in the past. Your house on a hill is probably sitting on a landfill.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:26 PM

I agree and that where stereo typing comes in unfortunately. I'm sure when people here my accent or that I'm from NY, they automatically assume I'm going to bea Bi@$#. I'm not (I hope), but don't tick me off, cuz I then will get very creatively nasty. ADAPTING to your new environment is big though. You can't move some where else and expect everyone to understand your ways if you make no attempt to understand theirs. I feel like that here in NY with the influx of foriegn people. I feel like i damn near went to a different country when I go some places - this is off the point sorry. But kind of plays into what we are talking about.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Without Yankees and their money Florida would be uninhabitable as it was in the past. Your house on a hill is probably sitting on a landfill.
Thank you for proving my point with every post you make in this thread.

Florida has had inhabitants for nearly 10,000 years. I guess you didn't get the memo.

This "money" has gone to ruin beaches with development, drain the Everglades, and paved over numerous environments so that people like you can have it the way you want it, and damn the consequences.

My house sits smack dab in the middle of the gorgeous Red Hills area north of Tallahassee. If you think we suffer from an excess of landfills in this area, then I guess you proved my point about geographic ignorance as well.

Making Florida less habitable for people like you would be just fine with me.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I agree and that where stereo typing comes in unfortunately. I'm sure when people here my accent or that I'm from NY, they automatically assume I'm going to bea Bi@$#. I'm not (I hope), but don't tick me off, cuz I then will get very creatively nasty. ADAPTING to your new environment is big though. You can't move some where else and expect everyone to understand your ways if you make no attempt to understand theirs. I feel like that here in NY with the influx of foriegn people. I feel like i damn near went to a different country when I go some places - this is off the point sorry. But kind of plays into what we are talking about.
I don't judge people by their accent anymore, but by their behavior.

Unfortunately a poster in this thread is doing everything he can to reinforce that negative stereotype.

All anyone has to do is make an effort to fit in and appreciate a culture. But because these people have no culture of their own, they have no concept of respecting another one.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM

568 posts, read 1,474,622 times
Quote:
All of my family has recently moved there in the past few years so, hubby is pretty much sent on the Ft. Lauderdale area. Who knows where we will end up but for now our plan remains the same.

Well.. Let me be the first to welcome you to Broward County.. Just remember Florida isn't New York and you have to adapt to Florida instead of complaining..

Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Poison - it spreads like wild fire. Well, I hope I leave you thinking that there are some decent NYers left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida