Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Time for state income taxes in Florida?
No, I don't want to pay state taxes. 45 73.77%
Yes, it's time that state income taxes become another source of funding. 16 26.23%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times

Advertisements

If they introduce a state income tax it would have to be offset with drastically lower property taxes, like by around 90%. Though I don't like property taxes either, I am sure they are a lot less inefficient to administer, from both the collector's and the payer's point of view.

In any case, I have no confidence that the body public, especially at the state level, can improve education, so it would be another waste to fund mostly deadbeats: not even at the county level, much less the national level; maybe at the town level, but, ultimately, it is a family thing.

The way to go is spending cuts, the downsizing of government and of everything and, the last I've read, that is the route being taken so far.

As a previous poster mentioned, if they introduce a state income tax, without reducing property taxes by some 90%, then I too would take my small business and get the hell out of here, and Florida would lose my property tax revenue and forgo any income tax revenue.

It's a big world out there and Florida, and even the US, is not the only fish in the sea, so to speak.

Human beings on US soil must be more realistic and realize that they cannot consume themselves into oblivion ... well, actually they can, but they may also wish to reckon whether it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
With Florida's severely dysfunctional economy as it is, this would be yet another reason for businesses to leave. Florida is taking way more in revenue than it needs to, so it is time to cut expenses. Stop wasting money on pet projects, and stop the waste. Government needs to shrink by at least 50% or more. Invest in technology instead of dumping money in overpriced building or remodeling. Make it easier to do business with Government and increase transparency. If Florida's outrageously high real estate costs can come down to historic levels, I see a boom in the economy in the future. Do not ruin it with more taxes. Remember, at least 50% of all tax money is wasted, is is like burning your money.
I think that you see the bigger picture better than most. When it comes to making the cuts, there is not a citizen anywhere without a "vested interest". Parents with school age children do not want to see the funds cut or reduced to the schools. Florida college students do not want funds to the universities reduced because their tuition will rise accordingly. Don't dare talk about cutting waste in law enforcement if it will impact "my" community. Having everyone pay on an equitable tax basis would benefit those looking to invest, but don't dare touch my SOH or portability entitlement. Try telling any Florida citizen that funds to the prisons will be cut, but the trade-off will be fewer arrests and criminals will not be sent to jail....

Too many speak from both sides of their mouths when it comes to reducing government spending. As long as the impact is not felt personally, the rally cry is to cut spending until it hurts (somebody else). Right now, Florida is an absolutely lousy place to invest with the archaic tax system. Tough decisions are needed to be made. I just do not see it happening through cuts in the overly generous Florida entitlement programs.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 AM

1,023 posts, read 3,330,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
With the state budget crisis creating havoc, particularly in the important area of education, is it time to supplement the state budget through state income tax?

With so many cutbacks, why are our schools seem to be impacted the most, from removing sports programs, after school activities, band, instruments, teachers, and who knows more.

Can you give any reason why we shouldn't pay state taxes so our children in FL won't suffer, and therefore nor will their education?

I don't want to hear an apathetic answer that it won't do any good anyways, or funds will be used, etc. Not only education, but putting more cops on the streets, funding construction to keep up insfrastructure upgrades due to continuing growth.

I'd like to know your opinions, particularly if you're against it.
I'm one who sees both sides to the income tax question. I actually think the bigger picture is that the state would suffer dramatically from this. We live in a state where the majority of the population is on fixed income. Now, if pensions were taxed that is one thing, but Social Security isn't taxable. Thus, there would be a dramatic swing in the state of who paid and who didn't. Also, many of FL residents don't work in the state, and live here part of the year.
If you started having income tax in this state, it would decrease the amount of transients who try to escape taxes in other states, Europeans who move here, etc. I think that the only strong parts of the FL economy would actually suffer.
However, I agree that we'll never have competitive schools without appropriation of funds that never make their way into our infrastructure.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post

we'll never have competitive schools without appropriation of funds that never make their way into our infrastructure.
"Dispense with the education of the schools, and have good masters at home instead."

Good education starts with the family and self-discipline. In that framework, public schools sometimes work, sometimes they don't.

I think it would be better to invest in quality people with real life experience to teach young people rather than an infrastructure in which to place inexperienced graduates with the over-priced degree in "education" and pretensions of professionalism. Most county school boards are clubs for cronyism.

Until we use the potential of industrial society to re-arrange the life cycle, humanity will not solve the problem of how to educate its children.

As it is, we have cleptomaniacs in the financial system and in government, so how is more funding going to make government schools competitive? Competitive in what?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,610 times
Default Swallow the bitter pill

Two of the staunchest California Republican conservatives, ever to come out against the levy of any additional taxes, were/are forced to raise taxes in their terms. Both Governors Reagan and Schwarzenegger faced the challenges of cutting government spending, and both concluded that the economic crises in their state needed additional tax revenue.... taxes were and will be raised.

What makes anyone think that Florida will escape the ominous "revenue enhancer" needed by the state government? Which taxes should the state legislators raise first? The most obvious choice would be the property taxes (most reliable and uniform). Forget the nuisance and sin taxes.... not enough revenue can be generated to cover the shortfalls. Sales tax increase might do it, if the increase is significant enough, but wouldn't that harm many businesses?

Realistically speaking, what would you want Florida representatives to do? Should they raise the property taxes or should they institute the state income tax?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,653,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Stop wasting money on pet projects, and stop the waste. Government needs to shrink by at least 50% or more. Invest in technology instead of dumping money in overpriced building or remodeling.
Unfortunately, state government's building projects are huge slush funds for construction companies that give heavily to political campaigns so I don't see any end to that. Which is highly annoying.

I work in higher ed, and we've got 3-4 shiny new multi-million dollar buildings in the pipeline because we aren't about to turn down PECO funds and a new 'free' gymnasium and fitness center if offered one. But at the same time, we're in a hiring freeze, probably a pay freeze this year, and there's some massive shuffling going on to properly staff the new buildings once they open without having to hire from outside.

I think everyone would have rather deferred the building projects a couple years and used the money saved to hire enough janitors and such in the mean time. What we have now isn't state of the art, but it's adequate for another ten years. But we can't move building funds to operating expenses, even if it's only temporarily.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM

910 posts, read 2,314,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Two of the staunchest California Republican conservatives, ever to come out against the levy of any additional taxes, were/are forced to raise taxes in their terms. Both Governors Reagan and Schwarzenegger faced the challenges of cutting government spending, and both concluded that the economic crises in their state needed additional tax revenue.... taxes were and will be raised.

What makes anyone think that Florida will escape the ominous "revenue enhancer" needed by the state government? Which taxes should the state legislators raise first? The most obvious choice would be the property taxes (most reliable and uniform). Forget the nuisance and sin taxes.... not enough revenue can be generated to cover the shortfalls. Sales tax increase might do it, if the increase is significant enough, but wouldn't that harm many businesses?

Realistically speaking, what would you want Florida representatives to do? Should they raise the property taxes or should they institute the state income tax?
I see the majority who responded so far don't want to pay any more taxes. Sales tax, property tax, or state tax, whatever they may be, taxes are taxes.

I think the reasoning some gave that they do not want to impose a state tax because it takes away from the appeal of living here is outdated. If the quality of life down here, which includes education, infrastructure, law enforcement, etc., does not improve, then what exactly will be appealing about living down here other than paying less taxes? As some of you said, you get what you pay for.

If you are retired, making less of an income or no income, you'll end up paying little or no share. If you're making a lot of money, you'll end up paying your share for making a lot of that money in FL. I think as FL residents you need to realize and move forward that to keep up with the growth and address important needs in this state, we need to all chip in.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 AM

I would be willing to pay higher sales taxes, even up to 9%.

Either we cut consumption spending voluntarily, or the natural laws of economics will do it for us which is the uglier solution, like waiting for a hurricane to trim your trees.

Many people bring their wealth with them to Florida and consume. While there are career and investment opportunities in Florida, they are relatively too few. What the state, and the whole country, needs are incentives for investment in real production, not just constructing luxury buildings to house and baby-sit deadbeats.

Whatever ...

Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM

831 posts, read 2,426,925 times
I personally feel that people need to educate themselves better before they are so quick to pull that lever (or fill in the dot). When the property tax reform was put up on the ballett where the hell do you think the money was going to come from to make up the difference?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,232 times
I hope not - it is in large part a reason I'm going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida