Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times

Advertisements

http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].net/city/tavares-fl...ng-hits-county

Unfortunately it looks like once again the blue collar workers are the ones who are going to have to suffer for the unaffordable cost of owning a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM

185 posts, read 746,412 times
Default "Housing Slump Causes Layoff"

Well add me to the list along with 5 others. I knew it was going to happen but it still came as a surprise. I thank God that we didn't buy a home here.
I think it will be very difficult for my former co-workers though.
They will be in my prayers.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,664,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].net/city/tavares-fl...ng-hits-county

Unfortunately it looks like once again the blue collar workers are the ones who are going to have to suffer for the unaffordable cost of owning a home.
This is sad, people are hurting all across the country because of this.

It is almost like this is being done on purpose to further the blue collar people down the ladder. After all wages are stagnant all over the US and everything is going up.

It used to be said our economy goes with the auto makes in Michigan, now I believe it goes with our housing. (?)

Time for a Roosevelt like freeze on prices I think!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
WAIT A MINUTE! There are government employees being laid off, right? That in my book is a good thing. Hopefully Team Metro is next!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEWY12 View Post
Well add me to the list along with 5 others. I knew it was going to happen but it still came as a surprise. I thank God that we didn't buy a home here.
I think it will be very difficult for my former co-workers though.
They will be in my prayers.
Chewy, I'm so sorry. I'm also glad that you didn't buy a home there. At least you're free to go elsewhere to find work. Is it just me or do others feel frustrated with the fact that the hard working people are always the ones who get the bad end of the deal. The flippers and others have lined their pockets and the insurance companies sure aren't hurting and of course, the politicians definitely aren't.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:45 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
WAIT A MINUTE! There are government employees being laid off, right? That in my book is a good thing. Hopefully Team Metro is next!
Yes, 14 in the Building Dept. in Tavares (Lake County) were laid off. And they're closing the satellite office in Clermont since building has come to a standstill.

I feel bad for those who were laid off but the building needed to slow down, it was out of control. You'd think maybe they could find some of the folks jobs in other departments. But some being laid off are building inspectors.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Chewy, I'm so sorry. I'm also glad that you didn't buy a home there. At least you're free to go elsewhere to find work. Is it just me or do others feel frustrated with the fact that the hard working people are always the ones who get the bad end of the deal. The flippers and others have lined their pockets and the insurance companies sure aren't hurting and of course, the politicians definitely aren't.

Jammie, I think you're on to something there! The flippers were likely one of the major reasons everything skyrocketed (building and home prices) over a 2-3 year period. It almost makes one wish they are stuck with a house they can't sell now.

And it does seem like it's those in the middle or bottom who get hurt when there's a budget crunch. I think the same thing when I hear all the counties and cities say they'll have to cut so many programs if our property taxes are substantially reduced. But what I hear are parks, social programs, health programs, fire departments....but I NEVER hear they're going to reduce any of those redundant upper management positions.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Nana, I'm glad to know that someone else feels the same way. And yea, I do wish some of those flippers would've been caught with a few houses, actually. I believe it was TallRick who posted an interesting article yesterday and it may be on the Miami part of the forum. There were some people doing quite a bit of shady things in order to make the prices escalate so ridiculously.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 PM

185 posts, read 746,412 times
I worked in private industry as a design professional along with my 5 co-workers.
Thanks Jammie no woe is me about this though it was time for a change anyway.
To bad the high salaried county administrators did not take a pay cut to continue to provide services to the tax payers. I am sure that they will spin this article into a reason to oppose any property tax cuts.

Last edited by CHEWY12; 04-23-2007 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Get rid of some zoning inspectors, that's what I would do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: