Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,490,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The reason we don't hear people in NY and NJ fuss is because very few people are moving to those states outside of NYC.
I hope somebody does.......I need to sell my NY house before I can move full time to my Florida house.......

Frank

Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,936,812 times
It's a territorial issue with many so-called-native floridians, as their status quo is threatened. They seem to be intolerant of other race's, ethnicity and people's differences.

Northerners are the scapegoats, I often read 'yankees this', 'people from new york that' enough already with the BS, stupid people are just stupid, jerks are jerks, etc, has nothing to do with the north, south, east or west.

One simply can't paint everyone with the same broad brush irrespective of their differences, whether it's race, backgrounds, religious beliefs, etcc. Inferences and references to such groups only tend to elicit racial tensions and animosity, it's offensive.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,490,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
It's a territorial issue with many so-called-native floridians, as their status quo is threatened. They seem to be intolerant of other race's, ethnicity and people's differences.

Northerners are the scapegoats, I often read 'yankees this', 'people from new york that' enough already with the BS, stupid people are just stupid, jerks are jerks, etc, has nothing to do with the north, south, east or west.

One simply can't paint everyone with the same broad brush irrespective of their differences, whether it's race, backgrounds, religious beliefs, etcc. Inferences and references to such groups only tend to elicit racial tensions and animosity, it's offensive.
Well said.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,722,632 times
Quote:

Now this was well said!!!! Positive rep for you!!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM

228 posts, read 533,418 times
Quote:
I don't think so.....

My recommendation -
Leave your attitude in the northeast and adapt, or deal with, the weather and we all can get along.

BTW this doesn't apply to everybody.

Last edited by FL Developer; 07-23-2010 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 03:37 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,722,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
I don't think so.....

My recommendation -
Leave your attitude in the northeast and adapt, or deal with, the weather and we all can get along.
This is what I am talking about right there, is this called for??? Really?????

And by the way the weather SUCKS here for 8 months, deal with that.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM

228 posts, read 533,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
This is what I am talking about right there, is this called for??? Really?????

And by the way the weather SUCKS here for 8 months, deal with that.
People want to know why southerns don't like northerns and attitude has a lot to do with it.
Again, saying the weather SUCKS and nonstop complaining, isn't going to change it. Either deal with it or RELOCATE!!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,138 times
Default Relocate is the best idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
People want to know why southerns don't like northerns and attitude has a lot to do with it.
Again, saying the weather SUCKS and nonstop complaining, isn't going to change it. Either deal with it or RELOCATE!!
but if all the transplants did that, where would that leave you?

Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,138 times
Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
That would be me for sure.
It sucks even more the SECOND tine around. Right?

Old 07-23-2010, 04:38 PM

137 posts, read 405,991 times
I guess I'll take a stab at a topic I normally try to avoid.

I moved to Florida 13 years ago to take a government job. In my job I get the chance to meet people from all over the place and my colleagues are a mix of transplants and natives.

I think what truly annoys natives is that transplants don't ever consider Florida to be home. You will notice I did not say anything about southerners or northerners. I don't think it's really a matter of where the transplants come from. I've been here long enough that even I have started to get a little annoyed at transplants.

The easiest way for me to explain it would be to use a scenario. Pretend that a friend from the next town over calls you up and begs and pleads with you to allow them to stay at your house for a week. You half heartedly agree to it and spend the next couple of days cleaning, buying groceries, bribing your kids to behave, etc in preparation for the visit. You are proud of the way your house looks, the nice food you bought, and your angelic children.

The moment your semi uninvited friend arrives, they start talking about their wonderful town and how your town is lacking in virtually everything. When you show them the brand new tile floor you installed, they tell you about the marble floor they put in themselves. They spend the remainder of their stay talking about your cheap window blinds, how much better they can cook than you, and how they hire a maid to do the house cleaning (and she NEVER misses a dust bunny like that one over there!). You tell them about how your childs teacher made a comment about how well behaved they were in class and your guest launches into a 30 minutes story about how their kid got straight A's while being the captain of the football team and still had time to volunteer at the SPCA. No matter what you do, they always compare it to their own house, own town, and their own self, without ever giving you credit for all the things you have done for them. Eventually, you would get tired of hearing about it and probably build up a little resentment.

Listen to people's coversations in restaurants sometime. Or, the best way to get a visual of what I am talking about is to go to a retirement community that allows golf carts to be driven everywhere. Check out the golf carts. 99% of them will be personalized with out of state license plates, I "heart" (insert state name here) stickers, or some other type of item that displays a desire to show everyone that they are from some place other than Florida. In my job, at least daily I hear "but in New York we.......", "Vermont allows us to..........", or, "In Montana we could............", etc etc.

I know this post might be a little confusing, but hopefully at least 25% of the readers will be able to fight through it and understand what I'm talking about.

On a lighter note, I am currently packing my bags to go "HOME" to New York for a few days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida