Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,791,439 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am in Boca Raton which I have heard is not the friendliest. Yesterday for ex there was a big issue at the library when one person asked another to not talk on their cell phone but it was like a yelling match. At the grocery store I saw similar or even how customers treat workers. I am sure it is not like this everywhere in FL but just what I have noticed in this area. There are parts of where I am from in MI that are similar but nothing like what I saw here.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 PM

436 posts, read 1,083,901 times
DaniellaG, I am not suprised. Although Boca Raton is nice (cosmetically), you are definitely in an area where rude behavior is the norm. I cant stand it and one of the reasons I couldnt move back to South Florida. But, even other areas in FL are not immune to this now either.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 PM

24 posts, read 96,876 times
Alot of people everywhere are at everybodys throats lately.
Could it be the pressure of the economy. Alot lost much $$

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
As far as I can see you were the only person who used the word consistantly. The word "northerns" was a general term used because I live in Sarasota where alot of people are from Michigan and refer to themselves as Northerners. If your statement, "anyone making generalizations such as this would just have to be an all around unlikeable person", were true then city data must be filled with alot of unlikeable people.
I really don't understand what point you were trying to make about my use of the word consistantly but anyway, based upon many of the posts I would say that there are quite a few unlikeable people posting here.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post
Alot of people everywhere are at everybodys throats lately.
Could it be the pressure of the economy. Alot lost much $$

Perhaps, but that's not an excuse for that area. People are always acting like that it seems. No matter what is going on in the economy.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times
I'm wondering where this place is where everyone is nice to everyone all the time. Is there really such a place? We are all talking as if Florida is the worst place on earth because of rudeness of the so called "NORTHERNER". I have been places in Florida and people are just as nice as can be, and yes a lot of them are from NY. I think how you approach a person has a lot to do with how they will react towards you. If you are nice, I can't imagine a person just being nasty for the sake of being nasty. I realize there are definitely confrontational people, you handle them accordingly, but I think that it is safe to say that the majority of people we deal with no matter where they were raised (South, North, East or West) are nice to deal with. I will say that I have noticed in some cultures, the people were obviously not raised the same way someone raised here in the states would consider normal. Things that you think are common courtesy (ie, saying thank you to what ever someone does for you, holding the door slightly open for the people behind you, holding the door for someone who has bags in their hand, etc.) - my dealings with the these cultures have been that the little things (such as I mentioned above) are not common practice at all. And really they are quite oblivious to it, not even realizing that how they come off is incredibly rude. Perhaps, some of the attitude some people have could be directly attributed to this behavior. At least I can attribute it to some of the behavior here in NYC.

Give us NYers time guys, we just have to unwind some when we move there. We don't like even the appearance of someone taking advantage of us and because we HAVE to be somewhat combative here, when something goes awry, even in a nice place like Florida, we go right back into the combative mode. I'm sure these issues are with the newly transplanted. Just give us some time. We usually tend to be very likable people.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM

48 posts, read 236,221 times
I have to agree with the posters who say NYC belongs with NJ. When you tell someone you are from NY they automatically assume you mean NYC. Anywhere in NJ is closer to NYC then most parts of NY. I live in NY and will be FLYING to NYC at the end of this month. It is either that or a nine hour drive.
Most of NY is rural and very similar to Florida.I love where I live but hate the winter. That is why I love Florida so much. I can't stand Orlando, to many people in too little space. I love the Deland-Georgetown area. It is very similar to where we live in NY, minus the nasty six months of freezing cold temperature. We have found MOST people there to be very friendly and hospitable. But we tend to be open and hospitable ourselves.
In defense of people who don't like northerns, I had an intersting conversation with my co-workers when we returned. My co-workers were talking about the slower service in Florida. There attitudes were very off-putting and arrogant. They stated they "cannot tolerate it" and are quite vocal about their unhappiness when they experience it.
Now I know this is a stereotype but we relish the slower service, the slower life style. For years we have said we feel like we are living life in the left lane of a superhighway desperately trying to get to an exit. TIn Florida we feel like we have found the exit, we can slow down and enjoy living instead of speeding through life to hurry up and die.
We always find more clarity when we are in Flordia and able to slow down and think rather then react.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 AM

I will agree - my appeal to Florida is all that you just mentioned, minus the rudeness. Slow plus nasty, not a good combination no matter where you are. Slow and courteous, then it makes it worth while. I may be an anomoly in NYC - I am genuinely nice and go out of my way to do nice things for people. I walk older people across the street, my husband shuvles the snow for our next door neighbor, helps her with her garbage. We are good people, however, I will say this - as nice as I can be is how nasty I can be - I really dislike people taking advantage of my kindness. My husband and I feel much more at ease when we are out of the city - it really is very difficult to not have the city mentality and live here, you really will be eaten alive.

Believe me, I welcome the slow down I have coming to me. I am ready! I will agree Upstate NY is so different from NYC - my Fath-n-law lives there and loves it, aside from the cold, cold, cold winters LOL.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebelle View Post
I have to agree with the posters who say NYC belongs with NJ. When you tell someone you are from NY they automatically assume you mean NYC. Anywhere in NJ is closer to NYC then most parts of NY. I live in NY and will be FLYING to NYC at the end of this month. It is either that or a nine hour drive.
Most of NY is rural and very similar to Florida.I love where I live but hate the winter. That is why I love Florida so much. I can't stand Orlando, to many people in too little space. I love the Deland-Georgetown area. It is very similar to where we live in NY, minus the nasty six months of freezing cold temperature. We have found MOST people there to be very friendly and hospitable. But we tend to be open and hospitable ourselves.
In defense of people who don't like northerns, I had an intersting conversation with my co-workers when we returned. My co-workers were talking about the slower service in Florida. There attitudes were very off-putting and arrogant. They stated they "cannot tolerate it" and are quite vocal about their unhappiness when they experience it.
Now I know this is a stereotype but we relish the slower service, the slower life style. For years we have said we feel like we are living life in the left lane of a superhighway desperately trying to get to an exit. TIn Florida we feel like we have found the exit, we can slow down and enjoy living instead of speeding through life to hurry up and die.
We always find more clarity when we are in Flordia and able to slow down and think rather then react.
MichelleBelle, that Florida sounds like a nice place, and one that used to exist throughout the state, but unfortunately, most of FL is the fast-paced, always-in-a-hurry attitude. What your co-workers "cant tolerate" must have been an experience that is rare nowadays in Florida.

I can give you 2 examples that happened yesterday that shows how rude and angry people in Florida have gotten. First, I was at a big shopping center, and a man was crossing the street. He jumped out in fron of my car giving me no warning, and then I gave him a look like "what are you doing man?" and he started to curse and throw his hands in the air, even though I stopped on a dime for him as he jumped in front of my moving vehicle. Then, within just a few seconds he did the same thing to another person who then honked at him. I'm not a big advocate at honking, but it is now the norm here, and the guy deserved it anyway. Well, he got so pissed off that this person honked at him, that he started (again) cursing and waving his arms in the air, and was even telling the person to shut the "F" up and telling the person to get out of the car, as if to then fight.

Secondly, I was in the right lane on a 2 lane road, a quite busy road too. And a person in the left lane passed me and then got RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, and then slowed down immediately. I had very little time to react. The person was trying to turn right into the WalMart. So instead of just staying behind me, the person sped up to about 45 or 50 mph, got right in fron of me, and immediately hit the brakes. Very rude, inconsiderate, and dangerous. This stuff is no longer uncommon, and it is a chore just to go out and run a couple errands in many areas of FL. Oh, and this woman has her little children in the car too. You would think someone would be a little smarter than that, especially with kids in the vehicle. I also had my daughter in my car. Needless to say, I was not happy. I am a good driver, and I still cannot understand why some folks do what they do on the roads.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Sorry - you had that experience, but as I said before there are some people who are just confrontational, the guy was clearly an idiot. And will eventually run into someone just like himself and he will either walk away worse or learning that he should react this way. Unfortunately, I think he will not learn. The lady was careless and unfortunately you will encounter that often or atleast until someone smashes into her. I commend you for not getting on her level and cursing her behind out, I'm not sure I would have been able to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida