Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,874 times

Advertisements

First off, I went to the Great Teach-In last year. I did the interviews, and I got the job offers. I even accepted one. Then came the hard part...finding a place that I could live in and afford! I accepted a position in Collier County, but when I went looking for apartments and houses, I was laughed at by realtors when I told them my price range. I am smarter this year. I want to know my stuff before I leave Indiana.

I am wanting to live in a small town (under 25,000 people). I want it to be a safe place, low crime, with affordable houses/condos under $130,000. I do not want any restricted housing...."You're a teacher you make too much!" That's what one idiot in Hendry County told me when I was house searching last year. I have two small pets that I will also be taking with me.

I do not have a preference on which side of Florida I live on.

I want to be a successful teacher to students, so please tell me areas that have a high need for teachers, but is not a safety hazard.

Thank you all in advance for helping me and for reading this message!

Oh! It would help to tell you want I want to teach! K-6, preferrably 2-4 grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 16,769 times
read A lot of these post and keep a eye out, people cant afford it here and Foreclosures are up. Have you priced your auto Insurance and potential home insurance ? Flood ins ? wind storm ins ? and fire and theft ins ? all are seperate. My 92 honda civic went from 157./6months to 396/6months and that was with Geico 1000/ded

Dreamer

Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
There are lots of small towns around , but housing is not cheap in florida anywhere in new home. The most reasonable I have seen right now is 160 thousand brand new in my area of Lakeland, Polk County. I would consider My city small compared to Tampa, Miami, etc. There are homes you could buy for 135 older homes , also teachers policeman, firemen can get hud homes at 50% of cost in Florida. I moved here from Tampa area because of reasonable homes and Taxes. My car insurance also got cheaper.
Also Dade City, Zephyhills are smaller towns part of Pasco County.
Anthony Florida, near Ocala is small town with cheaper homes. I did alot of research before we bought in Lakeland and we are happy here with no traffic.
Interstate 4 is close by and takes us anywhere we want to go

Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I just did a search for the Naples area and came up with a significant number of properties in your price range. The reality of these properties may be a different issue - do a search at www.realtor.com (broken link) based on 0 - $150,000.

Some folks have their opinions about the site, but my friend bought a house that she saw on this site and is very happy.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
Lakeland and Auburndale, Florida are really nice. Safe, family oriented, with great need for teachers. Check it out online. Do a search for homes in those cities. It would benefit you to rent first, though. The commitment to buying in a new area is scary!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
I would say to be perfectly honest to secure a job first before looking at properties and i will explain why i say this. My wife trained to be a teacher and Many places esp in Central Florida have put a hold on hiring teachers. This is because schooling facilities are directly related to home sales. Home sales have slowed and the rate schools were expanding to keep up with the demand of higher new families in the area has slowed, and in many cases schools over expanded in anticipation, and there just arnt the people moving into the areas as was anticipated, so in some places schools are laying off aswell.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i just think you should source the jobs first as i would hate for you to get one aspect in order but then find you cant get the job to support it.

Best of luck

Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
A big mistake going to teach in Florida. I'm hearing of tons of first year teachers in Florida who are fired after their first year because of the budget cuts and all.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I am a TA in Collier County

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherinneed View Post
First off, I went to the Great Teach-In last year. I did the interviews, and I got the job offers. I even accepted one. Then came the hard part...finding a place that I could live in and afford! I accepted a position in Collier County, but when I went looking for apartments and houses, I was laughed at by realtors when I told them my price range. I am smarter this year. I want to know my stuff before I leave Indiana.

I am wanting to live in a small town (under 25,000 people). I want it to be a safe place, low crime, with affordable houses/condos under $130,000. I do not want any restricted housing...."You're a teacher you make too much!" That's what one idiot in Hendry County told me when I was house searching last year. I have two small pets that I will also be taking with me.

I do not have a preference on which side of Florida I live on.

I want to be a successful teacher to students, so please tell me areas that have a high need for teachers, but is not a safety hazard.

Thank you all in advance for helping me and for reading this message!

Oh! It would help to tell you want I want to teach! K-6, preferrably 2-4 grade.
This was not a good year. Because of the budget deficit, education jobs were cut. They are playing the game of let's shuffle everybody all around. I was "bumped" so that somebody who has been with the district longer than I have can have my job. At this point I am waiting to see if they can still place me in an equivalent position as an ESE Assistant. I know one school counselor, whose job was eliminated, who will be teaching 4th grade next year. She hasn't taught a class in 15 years!

They are in negotiation with outside contractors for janitorial services. All the custodians are very likely to lose their jobs also. Next will be the food service workers. No, it is not pretty here right now.

What I can tell you, though, is that the teacher I used to work with did not live in Collier County. She commuted from Estero every day. She said Naples was too expensive for her and her husband. However, she has school choice and requested that her daughter be placed in a Collier County school where she is teaching.

Good luck. I definitely would suggest not coming to Collier right now for teaching.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 AM

185 posts, read 652,826 times
A few years back when my son was in school. One of his teachers addressed his class with this. "When your through with your training you will either leave Naples or Florida all together and move either out of state, or another part of Florida. It will be to expensive to live here. I don't know how long I'll be able to stay here." This is something that some of us who have lived here 20+ years have been watching. It's been new and disturbing when we pick up our local newspaper or watch local news. Watching our friends loose their jobs or their hours and pay slashed. Were going through tough times in Naples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida