Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Everybody has to start somewhere. I'd rather be homeless in FL than in Michigan.

Most people start out with nothing and learn the ropes of survival. Unless of course everything was handed to them by their parents.
Good points....so true.
I think I'd do fine out there,
bc I know how to survive...
What's interesting is when those people who had everything handed to them actually come to the end of the gravy train.....
They're clueless as to how to survive. Anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Everybody has to start somewhere. I'd rather be homeless in FL than in Michigan.

Most people start out with nothing and learn the ropes of survival. Unless of course everything was handed to them by their parents.
What are you insinuating? That I should apologize for not coming from the School of Hard Knocks in Brooklyn like you?

Please, spare me.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
What are you insinuating? That I should apologize for not coming from the School of Hard Knocks in Brooklyn like you?

Please, spare me.

Not insinuating a thing. You don't have to apologize for anything. Just be aware that some folks are
more apt to be successful in life due to their humble beginnings.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,901 times
Default Moving to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool Florida View Post
every action has a re-action, meaning for every reason there is a because. why do you think drivers in SO. FLORIDA drive so dangerously? why is MIAMI DADE and BROWARD #1 HIT AND RUN in the WORLD? ONE WORD: IMMIGRANTS, illegal or not ..... have u ever visited CUBA, COLOMBIA OR BRAZIL? i have, and they drive like this. they bring that mentality here to MY COUNTRY, the USA. so it's not fair to us born americans that we have accept living next to these animal. you wait when your own child's head is splattered all over the sun faded black pavement of SO FLORIDA, hit by some illegal immigrant from who knows where, maybe then you will understand the danger associated with the cess pool types that seems be dominate a lot of SO. FLORIDA. sorry. rant over.

hee hee, aren't you exaggerating a little? I mean the 'bad driving' or 'rudeness' couldn't apply to every single immigrant..

Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 AM

7 posts, read 7,680 times
Angry From bad to worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I agree with Jambo.

Please post your situation that led you to move to Florida. This will be helpful to folks wanting to move here.
I totally agree!!! I moved from Alabama, foolishly(not knowing that anything could be worse than Alabama), in August 2012, in search of "better opportunities". We moved to Oviedo, near Winter Park, where my ex was attending school.. Housing is INSANELY expensive in this area. As a result, my family ended up homeless. I became one of the homeless!!! We ended up in a shelter in Orlando, actually several shelters. I was working(at Florida Hospital) but the wages do NOT match the cost of living and even after a year could not find another place to live. Landlords expect you to make 3 and 4 times the rent, which I know a lot of people expect that. But if you only bring in $1200-1400.00 a month, you can't be expected to pay $1000 a month for a 3 bedroom, which seems to be average for this area. There are so many homeless people there and not drug addicts or alcoholics. Homeless FAMILIES!!....working moms and dads with children who missed one rent payment, the way we did. And for some reason, this is deemed ok. There are a lot homeless shelters that are supposedly helping people but they thrive off of donations from giving citizens and do nothing to help their people. If it were not for the weather, Florida would be nothing. Orlando a tourist town so I guess that justifies their high cost of living. It may be good for tourist but its an awful place for people who have to live there. If anyone plans to move there, PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!!!!! After living in shelters, hotels and even sleeping in my truck, I threw in the towel, and moved back to Alabama.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
Default Moving to Florida

I live in NYC, Queens! We have decided to move to St. Augustine, Florida next year after my daughter graduates so she can go to Flagler College. My oldest daughter is moving with us and her family. I read that a lot of you Floridians do not like living there and think it is not the best state to move to. NYC is the most expensive place on earth. When we looked at houses to buy here, 2 bedrooms go for $600K and above and the land is small. The taxes are crazy, around $7,000.-$11,000. a year and the property insurance is worse. When we decided to purchase a house in Florida, We found St. Augustine and Ponte Vedra the best match for our lifestyle. The purchase prices in the areas I mentioned as well as other areas are affordable. Compare a 5 bedroom, 4.5 baths in NYC to the same in Florida. In NYC you would pay in the millions for such a home, whereas in St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra is in the $500k-$700K. Plus the taxes are a drop in the bucket. Florida bound and happy about it. Just my opinion. Thank You!

Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 AM

8 posts, read 12,330 times
good point!http://weber.ninecomputer.com/1.jpg

Old 08-18-2014, 03:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
You wont miss Queens/NYC at all.

The quality of life here is so much better. Good luck on your relocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswriter42 View Post
I live in NYC, Queens! We have decided to move to St. Augustine, Florida next year after my daughter graduates so she can go to Flagler College. My oldest daughter is moving with us and her family. I read that a lot of you Floridians do not like living there and think it is not the best state to move to. NYC is the most expensive place on earth. When we looked at houses to buy here, 2 bedrooms go for $600K and above and the land is small. The taxes are crazy, around $7,000.-$11,000. a year and the property insurance is worse. When we decided to purchase a house in Florida, We found St. Augustine and Ponte Vedra the best match for our lifestyle. The purchase prices in the areas I mentioned as well as other areas are affordable. Compare a 5 bedroom, 4.5 baths in NYC to the same in Florida. In NYC you would pay in the millions for such a home, whereas in St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra is in the $500k-$700K. Plus the taxes are a drop in the bucket. Florida bound and happy about it. Just my opinion. Thank You!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
The prices may not compare to Los Angeles, but neither do the salaries. Employers do not pay much here, so 300k for a house is a lot when someone is making 30k per year... plus a lot of these people are also having to pay extrordinary insurance prices as well.

So yes, Florida is expensive in relative to the salaries.
The west cost is very expensive !! I've lived in California , Nevada , Oregon. There's no good jobs here either . People are in a hurry and there's a lot of drugs . We're in a drought and it's hot as he'll in summer and freezing in winter with no good beaches... So I think I'm moving to florida and take my chances on hurricans . Since Oregon has fires all the time and California just had a earthquake ! And did I mention how expensive everything here in the west coast? And most people work for 9.50 an hour no insurance pay .

Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 AM

26 posts, read 32,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb75 View Post
I totally agree!!! I moved from Alabama, foolishly(not knowing that anything could be worse than Alabama), in August 2012, in search of "better opportunities". We moved to Oviedo, near Winter Park, where my ex was attending school.. Housing is INSANELY expensive in this area. As a result, my family ended up homeless. I became one of the homeless!!! We ended up in a shelter in Orlando, actually several shelters. I was working(at Florida Hospital) but the wages do NOT match the cost of living and even after a year could not find another place to live. Landlords expect you to make 3 and 4 times the rent, which I know a lot of people expect that. But if you only bring in $1200-1400.00 a month, you can't be expected to pay $1000 a month for a 3 bedroom, which seems to be average for this area. There are so many homeless people there and not drug addicts or alcoholics. Homeless FAMILIES!!....working moms and dads with children who missed one rent payment, the way we did. And for some reason, this is deemed ok. There are a lot homeless shelters that are supposedly helping people but they thrive off of donations from giving citizens and do nothing to help their people. If it were not for the weather, Florida would be nothing. Orlando a tourist town so I guess that justifies their high cost of living. It may be good for tourist but its an awful place for people who have to live there. If anyone plans to move there, PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!!!!! After living in shelters, hotels and even sleeping in my truck, I threw in the towel, and moved back to Alabama.
I've heard stories like this from some family of mine that lives in Seminole County. They're only a missed paycheck or two away from being homeless themselves. They're trying desperately to move to Texas but can't seem to save enough money to relocate, bills are never ending and pay is short and not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida