Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 PM

25 posts, read 168,126 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

Me (26) and my fiance (22) are fulfilling one of our dreams and we're moving to Florida in June.

We currently live in Albany, GA and we can't stand it! There's nothing to do, and the crime is steadily rising every year. It's getting pretty bad.

We're not wanting to move further than 6 hours away from our home town of Albany (preferrably closer), and the Gulf or Atlantic coasts are fine with us. Just as long as it's on the beach.

The only criteria is:

1. The cost of rent be between $700 to $900 (max is $1000) for a decent, safe neighborhood. (Definitely not expecting anything fancy...like a two bedroom with a backyard, and older houses are fine. We actually love the charm of an older home.)

2. Be no more than 10-20 minutes from the beach.

3. Have a good amount of activities to do. (i.e. surfing, diving, arts, nature and bike trails, local shops, etc.)

4. Have that hometown feel to it. (It is okay to have a large city close by though)

I already have a couple of places in mind...Fernandina Beach and Ft. Walton Beach.

But I'd like to see if there are some hidden gems I am overlooking. I wish I had the time to travel all over Florida to look for that spot that we both absolutely fall for, but for now, this forum will have to do!

But the major points are AFFORDABILITY, SAFETY, and FUN!

We honestly can't wait for the move, AND the wedding that's in our future. This is an amazing time in our lives and we want to make sure we find that perfect place for us!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Sincerely,

Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 05:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
If you're serious about Ft. Walton Beach, get here by about March or don't come at all until about 2013. That's when the Army and Air Force are going to start moving about 4,000 families into the area because of Base Realignment, (June's pretty much the peak of the Green Berets relocation to the area) and we don't have the excess housing capacity right now to absorb everyone without some significant growing pains along the way.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Whoa!

Did not know that. I actually have a friend who currently lives in Ft. Walton and he's lobbying big for me to move there. He was stationed there before he got out of the Air Force and he's lived there since.

I only knew about moving a lot of the Air Force out about 6 months ago if I remember right. I guess now I know why.

Thanks for the info, but we won't be able to move until June.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Talk to your friend as the spring goes on and see how the housing situation is sorting itself out. Maybe I was a little strong with the words earlier since I think they're expecting about 60% of the Green Berets to end up in Crestview far north of the beach, but it's definitely something to be aware of if you're thinking about moving here, and in the next year or two, I really do think we're going to see a spike upward in rents and some difficulty in finding passable living space.

What are your job plans? The area is great if you're interested in service industries and great if you know how to develop missle guidance systems but pickings are slim in between and a nice $25K a year general office job with benefits can draw a hundred applicants easily.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM

509 posts, read 1,679,950 times
Why not hop in the car, drive for 5 or 6 hours and see where you wind up and take a look around. We can all give you our opinions, but its your feel for the place that matters.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Beachmouse: Thanks for the info. Currently, I'm a retail sales consultant with AT&T. I have 2 years banking experience, also. I'm hoping for a transfer with AT&T, but if that doesn't plan out my next plan is to get back into banking.

Yamahastar: That's exactly what me and my fiance are going to do in March. But up until then, I respect other people's opinions, and it's never too early to start!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 23,078 times
"But up until then, I respect other people's opinions, and it's never too early to start!"

this is us.... Me and my wife!! Best of luck to ya MTF84!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks Danny,

I appreciate that! Where are you guys thinking about moving to?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,656 times
Move to Miami. Its an awesome place!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Tallahassee is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida