Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,083,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What about areas as Orlando that has so many crime issues, will this get more people to leave?
I still maintain that most of Orlando's crimes, particularly the murders, are in the same general areas and usually are drug related. I just don't see danger lurking on every street in the Orlando/Orange County area. People learn very quickly where NOT to go and the population continues to grow.

From a blog back in September 2006:

Here is the article, by Henry Pierson Curtis and Willoughby Mariano, that we published today:

Orange County's two largest police agencies announced sweeping changes Tuesday to combat soaring violent crime that has led to a record murder rate in the city and an alarming number of deaths in the county.

Within weeks, the Orlando Police Department will reorganize its 700 officers to target street-level drug dealers and criminals most responsible for this year's record 37 murders.

Meanwhile, Sheriff Kevin Beary will call in federal agencies and pull some of his 1,348 deputies from other duties to run down criminals in Pine Hills and along South Orange Blossom Trail, where most of the county's murders have taken place. With about four months to go this year, Orange has registered 39 murders, 10 fewer than all of last year. In addition, there has been a 20 percent jump in overall violent crimes from 2005.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_local_orlandocrime/crime_statistics/index.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,097,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I still maintain that most of Orlando's crimes, particularly the murders, are in the same general areas and usually are drug related. I just don't see danger lurking on every street in the Orlando/Orange County area. People learn very quickly where NOT to go and the population continues to grow.

From a blog back in September 2006:

Here is the article, by Henry Pierson Curtis and Willoughby Mariano, that we published today:

Orange County's two largest police agencies announced sweeping changes Tuesday to combat soaring violent crime that has led to a record murder rate in the city and an alarming number of deaths in the county.

Within weeks, the Orlando Police Department will reorganize its 700 officers to target street-level drug dealers and criminals most responsible for this year's record 37 murders.

Meanwhile, Sheriff Kevin Beary will call in federal agencies and pull some of his 1,348 deputies from other duties to run down criminals in Pine Hills and along South Orange Blossom Trail, where most of the county's murders have taken place. With about four months to go this year, Orange has registered 39 murders, 10 fewer than all of last year. In addition, there has been a 20 percent jump in overall violent crimes from 2005.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_local_orlandocrime/crime_statistics/index.html (broken link)
Would be great to see if the numbers dropped since the implementation Sept 06?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Would be great to see if the numbers dropped since the implementation Sept 06?
I've tried to find some updated statistics but haven't found it yet. Maybe I can do some more searches tomorrow. Maybe the OPD and OCSO have some numbers on their websites.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times
What a tragedy the shooting was. Sunrico, I'm curious about where the boat incident was with the gators and crocs nearby. It wasn't at Silver Springs Theme Park, was it?

Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 AM

48 posts, read 262,062 times
Daytona Beach isnt all its cracked up to be. It definitely attracts a lot of tourists but I would never live there. We go up there to the beach sometimes but I would never live in Daytona. Just fun to visit. Things happen on spring break. Its not going to stop people from going there.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:56 AM

48 posts, read 262,062 times
"What about areas as Orlando that has so many crime issues, will this get more people to leave?"

Again,

When people talk about crime in Orlando, Florida they make it seem like there is anarchy and chaos in the streets and hell on Earth. Its NOT like that. As with every American city you have good parts and bad parts. Most of the crime ends up being with drugs, over drugs, about drugs, in drugs etc and it is drug related meaning someone didnt pay someone whatever etc. There is theft, violence towards others. People that live in the city know where they can go and where they dont wanna go. There are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. Now if you drive down a street in the Orlando vicinity and its all run down houses and abadoned buildings, then of course you wouldnt feel comfortable. I am TIRED of people on here bashing Orlando like its a blood bath down here. Its NOT like that. Give it a rest already. Thank you.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,097,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What a tragedy the shooting was. Sunrico, I'm curious about where the boat incident was with the gators and crocs nearby. It wasn't at Silver Springs Theme Park, was it?
Yes, gators were nearby and was in that area...

Old 03-22-2007, 12:11 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times
Oh My!!! Just when I thought I'd be brave enough to go in one of those glass bottomed boats.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, gators were nearby and was in that area...

It wasn't near Silver Springs...it was in Christmas, FL -- east of Orlando in Jungle Adventures Nature Park. All this area is near the St. Johns River and its tributaries.

http://www.local6.com/news/11282888/detail.html (broken link)

Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,153,419 times
Quote:
Spring Break is a source of income for the state and many areas depend on this to survive from year to year. But with news or incidents like this, will the tourist be more afraid to visit Florida? Your views.....
As a native of the Daytona area, I can tell you this is an on-going political issue.

Special events such as Spring Break, Bike Week & Race Week are integral to the economy of Daytona. The city wants to become a more family-friendly destination. But incidents like the one mentioned here, which are bound to happen when thousands of people descend on one area with the express intent of partying, detract from the family atmosphere. So they can't get rid of the party-animals or the city will go broke and they can't attract the families because of the partiers. What a conundrum!

Last edited by ssg II; 03-22-2007 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida