Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,671 times

Advertisements

We too have water restrictions in S. FL and we are surrounded by water. In N. J., they are getting floods where people are being evacuated. There's something weather related no matter where you go. Pick your poison and paradise. It's not destruction nor paradise all year round.

Last edited by House4Sale; 04-29-2007 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,478 times
Red face I live in Spring hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Found a house in Spring Hill. Could anyone tell me anything about the area? What are taxes, insurance like there? This is in a gated community, but is the area in general safe?

Thank you,
Jen

I have been here 7 years we moved here from NY, it was a big change .
I find the schools are GREAT much better than i expected.It is a much slower pace than tampa.I think its very safe.
The only down side is I have found it very hard to make friends ,I work from home , SO i really do not get to meet people .I am married with 2 children ,girls 15&20. I would love to find some girlfriends to go shopping with , or do lunch .If anyone else out there is looking to make a NORMAL friend , let me know.
Jackie

Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetGI View Post
I've also been looking at the Spring Hill area as well as Homasassa and Palm Coast areas. All of my possibilities appear to have higher instances of sink holes. Darn! So do you know if it's standard practice for the city/county to absorb the cost of a sinkhole on private property and is there such a thing as "sink hole" insurance? Thanks....
I live in SH , yes there are some homes with sinkholes.Actually the people who had them do ok , The homeowners ins pays off your house in full.
You can then choose to fix the home or sell it .

As far as hurricanes we are very lucky we usually get the least of these storms .I have never had to put in a claim for hurricane damage, I am here 7 years , Mom 21 years and she never had a hurricane claim either.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,671 times
Default You are right, Uptowngirl...

Spring Hill gets little hurricane action. That's one of the reasons we like it there.

As for meeting people, the town throws a welcome get-together the first week of every month...I believe at the Weeki Wachi Center. Call the chamber and ask when. One does not have to be new to the area but it is a great place to meet new people who are looking to meet new friends.

Also, there's a great country club with restaurant which last I knew was still open to public. Perhaps hostess or office can tell you about functions there. Also, start walking about your neighborhood. You'll get to meet your neighbors that way. I was invited to walk with two gals, take coffee with an elderly couple, and met a gal with a daycare center for special needs just by walking around the area.

The library on Cortez also has info on public functions. Depending on your age, there is this neat group of middle-aged to seniors who meet at the new Dunkin' on U.S. 19. They are so cute and seem to have fun. Another place is St. Vincent's who hires volunteers to help at the store. A couple hours one week gets one out and meeting new people.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times
Default Sinkholes and coverage

If you have Citizens you may not be paid in full, they have very strict rules now above weather a home has a sinkhole or just voids under the ground.
Also if you have a sinkhole weather fixed or not, if you decide to sell, you must disclose that there was sinkhole activity on property. And if you try and sell, weather to investors or those that buy sinkhole homes, you will get a 1/3 or what the house is worth and you cannot get insurance on a sinkhole property. I know there is one company in SH that buys sinkhole homes and they somehow do have insurance, they just sold to a couple claiming there was no sinkhole on the property, couple didn't investigate throughly and accepted the companies word, guess what..........there's movement under the pool and side of the house.

If you have kids in the local schools, join the PTA, volunteer at school
if your kids in sports, help with the coach, funraising etc.

Is SH safe, its seem a young man trying to earn a little extra money delivering
pizza's for Pizza Hut, nearly lost his life because he was wacked and beaten
over the head with a bat by local teens because they wanted money.
Just one incident, but still the kids in SH are bored. Ask any kid over 15 and they all say the same thing, there's nothing to do, its been this way since G-d
knows when. Drugs are here.........ask at the schools, there programs for drug intervention are always full. Check the local papers on Saturday and see the crime report.........battery, robbery, domestic abuse, elder abuse
DUI's, retail thief..........just as bad here as in the North.

Welcome to Spring Hill.........sooner or later you'll see the reality of the area.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,201 times
Wow! Glad we decided not to move to Spring Hill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida