Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

18 posts, read 77,302 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to the Port Charlotte area in 3 months, But we have been hearing about all the cockroaches in Florida
Are they really a problem?
Please let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Get an extermination contract and keep your home clean, and you should ahve a minimal problem with bugs.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Yes, you will have to deal with Palmetto Bugs.

Palmetto Bugs

Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
In 4 years in my current house I can count on one hand how many palmettos I have had in the house and that is with having the doors open a good part of the year.

If you get a good pest control company you will not have any problem at all.

Mine comes 4 times a year, once inside and out and the other 3 times just perimeter. Costs somewhere around $250 for the year.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 AM

18 posts, read 77,302 times
thank you so much for the info

Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
More of a problem the more south you go. I can only speak for Miami but bugs are just a normal part of daily life. Wont be a week that goes by I wont see some type of insect in or around the house same goes with lizarads or iguanas etc.. The roaches are not really the bad thing, they are not dangerous or anything. The spiders are the things that you should be scared of, but again not much of a problem.
Dont worry about it much, any eterminator can get rid of them.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,270 times
Default so that's what that was!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Yes, you will have to deal with Palmetto Bugs.

Palmetto Bugs
I had wondered...when I lived inAZ briefly, I saw this in my sink like three times and buzzing around the patio outside. It looked like bird...lol. I didn't know what it was.

Roaches didn't bother me there....in AZ, like in FL they are a fact of life. It was the bark scorpions and black widows I hated and only because I have little ones that could get seriously injured...but I have to say, I worried much more about it BEFORE living there than I did while we were there.

I had a friend there that was originally from Reno. She had just had a baby and I wondered if she kept the crib legs in jars to prevent the scorps from climbing into the crib. She just laughed at me and said...when you grow up in the desert, you don't worry about this stuff...it's just a fact of life.

I figured, if SHE could be okay with it then so could I.

Now, my hubby says it's like we NEVER lived in the desert. I found a huge black wolf spider in the basement and freaked out. I told him to 'take care of it'...I didn't want to. I thought perhaps stepping on it would just make it mad.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:33 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
The spiders are the things that you should be scared of, but again not much of a problem.
Most of our spiders are harmless too, especially the gigantic ones.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs. I am a native Floridian and having lived in Miami & Tampa for all of my 37 years I can honestly say that I haven't even seen a Palmetto Bug since I was 10 years old. And believe me, I have lived everywhere in Miami in some nice places and some horrific places and the answer remains the same. Now the frogs on the other hand?? Ewww. Those nasty things are what scare the hell out of me. I would take a flying bug over a frog any day of the week but thats my own little issue.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 99,605 times
Are they sure that they are **** roaches and not palmetto bugs. I have encountered the palmetto bugs. I too thought that at first roaches, but come to find out they are palmetto bugs. Unless you live in an apartment/condo, or have bought a home with roaches, they are probably palmetto bugs. If you are in question about this, call a insect inspection company, and they would probably fix the problem or recommend something to do about the problem. They can also show you pictures of the palmetto bugs and **** roaches. Or if curious look on the internet to see what they look like. I really think they are palmetto bugs, and dont do any harm from what I understand other then freek you out when you see them and dont want them in your home. I notice that with palmetto bugs they do come out more so at night then daytime, but I have seen them during the daytime. I seen them just go across the floor and the dog chases them. I get them and let them go outside or flush them for a swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida