Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 9,186 times

Advertisements

Anyone have this sentiment? Fill in the blank you would never go back to.....

I would be interested in the opinions of those that are happy in the sunshine state.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,988,207 times
Ohio! I am so happy to be here. We've been here 7 months and we're having terrible problems trying to buy a house and it's dragged on for months and I'm terribly stressed over the whole fiasco, but I am still thrilled to be here. I used to think that Florida could be summed up with the words "Disney" "hot" and "beach" but there is so much more to Florida. The nature preserves and parks and historical sites are amazing. The weather is wonderful and here in Palm Coast we have seen a change in seasons. The people have been so nice and welcoming. I love how everyone waves to walkers and bikers and sometimes even other drivers. We're very impressed with our son's school. The vitality of our church here is awesome. I really hate the spiders and fire ants, but I love the lizards and armadillos. I can't wait to see a manatee. I'm not looking for night life and designer boutiques and I think we chose the perfect place for our family. We are very happy here.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Denver.
It is a wonderful city with much to offer, and I have happy memories--and still have family there.
But I do not plan on ever living there again; the only time I will return is to visit relatives and friends.
We have new friends, and my husband's family here.
I enjoy the change of seasons here, I love the beach, the wildlife, and the seafood.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
West Tennessee.

Spent a couple years after college in a town best described as two hours north and twenty years behind Memphis.

I like that in a lot of ways, Florida is still a very young state, and that it's very welcoming to any number of people and groups who come down and want to put their own mark on it. It's not just 'this is how we do it because that's how we've always done it' and while there's a certain cachet in being born here, it's not like your family has to have been here for X number of generations to be accepted like you do in a lot of the rural South.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
Never go back to Pools that close on August 16th!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 99,611 times
I lived in Maryland all my life until now. 46 years in MD. I am soo glad to live in Florida. I love to wake up and see the sunshine, not snow, and no color after November until March. I dont care how hot and humid it gets here, I still love it and would not move back to Maryland again. I got hot and humid in Maryland. You didnt even get a spring time, it seem to go from cold miserable winter to hot summer. I love to sit outside and I sat outside in Maryland in the summer time. As for the freezing weather, you get cold snaps down here, but they only last a day or so. I dont miss the shoveling of snow, the scraping of the ice on the windshield, the accidents from the idiots that think they can drive 55 and should only be doing 35 when there is ice/snow on the highway. And yes, you did see them a little ways down the road in a ditch or light pole. Yes the color changes in the fall were nice, but sometimes you didnt get that because of a dry summer. NO I dont miss it at all. I love it in Cape Coral Florida, and will never move from here ever!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Kues View Post
I lived in Maryland all my life until now. 46 years in MD. I am soo glad to live in Florida. I love to wake up and see the sunshine, not snow, and no color after November until March. I dont care how hot and humid it gets here, I still love it and would not move back to Maryland again. I got hot and humid in Maryland. You didnt even get a spring time, it seem to go from cold miserable winter to hot summer. I love to sit outside and I sat outside in Maryland in the summer time. As for the freezing weather, you get cold snaps down here, but they only last a day or so. I dont miss the shoveling of snow, the scraping of the ice on the windshield, the accidents from the idiots that think they can drive 55 and should only be doing 35 when there is ice/snow on the highway. And yes, you did see them a little ways down the road in a ditch or light pole. Yes the color changes in the fall were nice, but sometimes you didnt get that because of a dry summer. NO I dont miss it at all. I love it in Cape Coral Florida, and will never move from here ever!!!

How in hell do you handle that humidity for 6 months a year though? I was in Sarasota for 2 months last summer and it was incredible. The nights were so humid/....I don't know which is worse heat or cold...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
How in hell do you handle that humidity for 6 months a year though?
Hereabouts, it's more like 4 months a year, and I figure it's a tradeoff.
We use AC June into October, the rest of the year I enjoy sleeping with my windows open at night.
No place is perfect, but right now it is 33 °F in Denver, with possible snow for Friday, and I don't miss that scenario one bit.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM

158 posts, read 504,027 times
I also grew up in and moved from Maryland years ago out of college and have no desire to ever leave Florida.

People don't realize that Maryland can get just as hot(sometimes much hotter) and humid as Florida. D.C. was built on a swamp, Maryland contains a lot of marshland and wetlands along the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay and the Eastern Shore. And sometimes temps get into the 100's for a week or two straight. Add the smog from all of the traffic congestion and very rarely do you ever see blue skies during the summer months, it's usually a milky white haze of heat and humidity(what they refer to as "the 3 H's", Hazy Hot & Humid).

Best of all, if I start jonesin' for winter weather, D.C./Bmore is only a short 2hr flight away. Better to live here and vacation up there than the other way around...

Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I think I'll miss fall and Spring, not so much the cold, bitter, bone chilling, I can't breath it is so cold outside weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida