Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,103 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a 27 year old male, currently living in the capitol hill neighborhood of Denver, CO. I have lived in Denver my whole life. I was thinking of moving to Florida, but not really sure as to what city and what area. Any suggestions of what areas or neighborhoods I might like would be amazing. I plan on living in an apartment, and my budget is around 800 a month for rent and utilities. I like going out on the weekends to bars, I hate fancy dress up clubs. One thing I really like about where I am now is how close everything is, I can walk or take a short bus into downtown or other close areas to shop or eat. Where I live now also has a lot of young people around my age, which I really like. Of course I am not looking for something exactly like where I am now, or why would I be moving? Not sure what other info would help, I am very laid back and go with the flow.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM

26,830 posts, read 43,315,276 times
Given your budget and the walkable factor you're looking for, only a couple of areas in the entire state fit your criteria. Check out the South Tampa neighborhood of Soho or the downtown Jacksonville neighborhood of San Marco.

MySanMarco.com | San Marco - Historic Jacksonville Community
Metromix Jacksonville | Your Jacksonville Restaurants, Nightlife and Events Guide
South Tampa Neighborhood Guide | Metromix Tampa Bay

Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 PM

509 posts, read 1,673,533 times
He wants to walk or ride a bus. Are you trying to get him killed?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 39,135 times
Default moving to florida

Moving to florida?

Which part of the state are you interested in? is weather a factor? It is very humid/hot here...also, the summers last from May until end of September...and we often get temps in the 80s during the month of Dec. The southern part of the state has even more days of summer and higher temps and the north (where I live) has a few colder days and a little bit shorter high temp cycle. I guess my point is it will be a big change for you. If you're love high temps and humidity, then FL is the place for you.

I live in Jacksonville (Jax), San Marco is a nice area (it's not unsafe), Riverside/Avondale is a young, hip crowd...has a night life, but not uptight. The beaches would be fun, there are some very dive kind of places out there (affordable), but it's still pretty safe...you just have to search around and a realtor could help you with that...Ponte Vedra Beach is nice, but expensive.

West Coast FL has the more beautiful beaches, in my opinion. The N. Eastern beaches are murkier water.

Good luck to you. I hope I helped. Without any specific area or specific question, it was hard.

One last thought, my husband and I are native Floridians and we are working on a plan to move to CO in 5 years because we are over the heat here and are ready for seasons. But, if you are on the other end of that spectrum and you are ready to escape the snow, and are ready for the heat, then I would look for a beach lifestyle.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,891,539 times
I moved to north Florida from Denver (just south of Cheesman Park, east of Capitol Hill) about 5 and a half years ago. We began in northwest Florida, got slammed by the popping housing bubble and are now in northeast Florida on Amelia Island.

There is enough change of seasons for us being in north Florida. After 30-some years of shoveling snow and picking up broken branches in March/April/May, it is nice to experience a real springtime. In Denver I got eczema every winter, that no longer happens here. I love the beach. Just two weeks ago I watched 20 baby sea turtles leaving the nest. That's never going to happen in Denver.

However, far north Florida, while things are changing, is pretty much the Deep South, culture shock can sometimes hit hard, and the line between church and state can sometimes be blurry, especially compared to secular Denver.

I am not your age demographic at all, I have a son your age. If you want walkability, nightlife and youthful energy, I agree with the other posters about San Marco. Just make sure of your employment situation.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM

261 posts, read 702,670 times
We moved to Southeast Florida from Denver a little over 2 years ago. Have you spent much time in Florida? North or South it's going to be a bit of a shock. Since you are coming from Capitol Hill, I recommend checking out Miami up to West Palm Beach. You might want to check out South Beach, the area around Sunny Isles Beach is pretty nice, Ft. Lauderdale near the beach, downtown Lake Worth, and downtown West Palm Beach. I think Denver's downtown is way better than anything here, but all these areas have an urban walkable feel to them. I don't know, Capitol Hill is a cool area.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,544,810 times
Florida doesn't have reliable public transportation. You'd be really lucky if you found an area that has all the basic necessities you need within 5 miles that you can take the bus to. Luckily, I did when I lived in Florida 2 years ago. But it was difficult and definitely a hustle. After I moved to another location in Florida, there was nothing like it. People your age to hang out with? You realize Florida is a retirement state? I don't understand why you want to move to Florida when Denver has everything you need. Do you have a job? Do you have family here? If not, Florida is the last place I would be moving to. High employment rate everywhere. Save your money for a nice vacation but please refrain from moving here if you don't have a job or family to rely on.

Last edited by allenk893; 07-22-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida