Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

Publix is going to compete with local restaurants with a bistro-style deli @ Lake Mary (opening next month).

Lakeland-based Publix said its new deli will feature eight cuisine-themed "serving stations" in an upscale food-court setting with table seating. The stations will cook to order everything from Vietnamese Lemongrass Pork to oven-baked pizzas. Dishes will cost $7.99 to $11. WOW lots of options for the hungry customer...

Publix said it expects its test deli to debut when the company opens its new store on April 12 at the site of a former Winn-Dixie on Lake Mary Boulevard in Lake Mary. Publix plans to close its nearby store on Lake Mary Boulevard the night before the new location opens.

Will this be positive or negative for the local economy in Lake Mary? If this turn profit I will think that will be in every Publix store. Your views...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I don't get Publix sometimes - I wish they had done something like this years ago. I think they're a little slow on the uptake, but that wasn't your question .. was it? It should be a hit - this is not a new concept and it has been successful in every market that I have visited from CA to DC.

I don't know about where you live but our choice of grocery stores are Publix, and then Publix, and then again Pubix. Way off in the distance we have a Winn Dixie.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 24,818 times
Default re: Publix

Is publix more expensive than Win Dixie?

Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
I've never been to Lake Mary but around where I live, in Miami, there a couple of very nice Publix. There are also a couple of very old, smaller ones tha are nasty.
As for Winn-Dixie... I hate Winn Dixie. Every single one of them. :-(
So good luck to Publix in Lake Mary. Hopefully, I will be able to visit one day.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evie822 View Post
I don't think so.
Winn Dixie has this thing every week where "buy one, get one free". Well, the one you buy is jacked up so you really are not getting anything for free. Then that higher price stays forever after that.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
That sounds great! In Boston there was a grocery store with lots of hot food options. My kids and I eat out about four nights a week and it gets pricey. Our usuals are the Loop, Mama Fus and a nice Mexcian restaurant.

I've gone to Publix all of my life, but here in Mandarin the new Publix has been a disappointment. There is a Crispers inside that I was thrilled about. Walk in, order your meals to go, shop and then the take-out is delivered to you at the register when you check out. In three months, I had a five problems with incomplete orders or orders not being ready 30 minutes after ordering soup, salads and sandwiches and several times they were out of things like salad dressing. IT'S A GROCERY STORE- how can they be out of salad dressing???

And last week I bought ribs in the meat section and they were slimy and very foul smelling when I went to cook them the next day. They were still within the sell-by date. I think they were pulling a Food Lion with the dates.

They are already on their second manager, but still not making the grade. I still go to Publix, as nothing comes close, but I jump around to different ones. When Whole Foods is built across the street from our new Publix, that will be my store.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evie822 View Post
Way more expensive....

Old 03-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I don't get Publix sometimes - I wish they had done something like this years ago. I think they're a little slow on the uptake, but that wasn't your question .. was it? It should be a hit - this is not a new concept and it has been successful in every market that I have visited from CA to DC.

I don't know about where you live but our choice of grocery stores are Publix, and then Publix, and then again Pubix. Way off in the distance we have a Winn Dixie.
We have 2 Walmart Supercenters within 20 miles, 1 Publix, 1 Winn-Dixie, and the USAF Commisary 14 miles away. We purchase brand name products and meats at the base, is about 30% percent cheapper. Daily stuff we get from Publix or Walmart, depends on how much I want to drive 3 miles to Publix, 7 miles to Walmart. WinnDixie is about 4-5 miles away but is out of the question.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Smile miss it!-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Publix is going to compete with local restaurants with a bistro-style deli @ Lake Mary (opening next month).

Lakeland-based Publix said its new deli will feature eight cuisine-themed "serving stations" in an upscale food-court setting with table seating. The stations will cook to order everything from Vietnamese Lemongrass Pork to oven-baked pizzas. Dishes will cost $7.99 to $11. WOW lots of options for the hungry customer...

Publix said it expects its test deli to debut when the company opens its new store on April 12 at the site of a former Winn-Dixie on Lake Mary Boulevard in Lake Mary. Publix plans to close its nearby store on Lake Mary Boulevard the night before the new location opens.

Will this be positive or negative for the local economy in Lake Mary? If this turn profit I will think that will be in every Publix store. Your views...?
sunrico- I miss Publix!!!---the big one on Rte 441/Boca had an excellent deli- and they had just built a Ben's kosher deli there too- wow I miss that. We do NOT have that in NE Tennessee.

sunny

Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
sunrico- I miss Publix!!!---the big one on Rte 441/Boca had an excellent deli- and they had just built a Ben's kosher deli there too- wow I miss that. We do NOT have that in NE Tennessee.

sunny
The one In Navarre is less than 2 years old and is excellent. I like that is clean and does not stinks like other supermarkets..... The Deli is super, quality meat , bakery is also superb, and the employees are friendly.

You might have to move to Navarre????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida