Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:48 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Thanks for that I even googled it before I typed it. It still didn't look right but I typed it anyway.lol
If someone came up to me and asked me to spell it I qould probably get it wrong 9 out of 10 times also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
We have been on almost all the beaches worth being on from Maine to Key West and I can tell you what you will find is those who very seldom go to the beach ruining it for those who go to the beach to enjoy it.

I can tell you the most annoying thing is for people to smoke when they are in my space of air, it drives me nuts that someone would not have the brains to think that the wind is blowing our way and I do not want a cancer stick in my air.

Other then that, if you do not like the spot you chose, there is enough beach space for you to move so you can have you space all by yourself.

For us, I hate an empty beach, we love being around people who know how to have fun.

As it was posted above, if you do not like being around people then why the heck even go to the beach?

Might as well live in a cave then blame people on a beach for getting a little sand on you. Afterall, if you can go to the beach and not get a little sand on you then you should have stayed home.

So, from beach lovers like us, yes, there is proper etiquette for being on the beach just as much as there is for anywhere else.

And you know I am going to say this, Florida has some of the most beach friendly people of all the beaches we have visited. Seems most people have respect for others.

And yes, there is one of the rudest beaches we have ever been around, and we have been to them all, I will not post about it because someone will take offense to it. And it is not even near Florida.

I am assuming that this is for me because it seems you like to just start arguments. Where did you read I don't enjoy the beach. Why should I have to move my chair, if I was there first, because some brat is throwing sand on me, while the parents just ignore them. I also never said that Florida beaches weren't beautiful, nor did I say it was the people who lived in Florida, those were your assumptions. Hmmm Isn't it tourist season right now. I believe there should be some type of beach etiquette regardless of what state your in.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
what about speaking up and asking Mom/Dad to ask their children to dig somewhere else?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
what about speaking up and asking Mom/Dad to ask their children to dig somewhere else?
Unfortunately these days too many parents feel that their children are precious angels who are far too cute and wonderful to ever be a bother to anyone, and they get extremely defensive when you dare suggest that the children are being bothersome.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:05 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Bad spellers on the beach really irritate me.

Etiquette

JK
Haha! This is so funny. :-) Florida school system strikes again.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:13 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unfortunately these days too many parents feel that their children are precious angels who are far too cute and wonderful to ever be a bother to anyone, and they get extremely defensive when you dare suggest that the children are being bothersome.

This is so true. I just went again today, I guess I'm a glutten for punishment, but its so beautiful with the breeze off the golf.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I suspect part of the answer has got to be the beach you are at. I live 45 minutes from Daytona but never go there, its just not my scene. I prefer Ponce Inlet Beach which is just about New Smyrna, still close, not as many shark bits and alot of room to spread out, you can drive out on the beach and find a location without the people you speak of.

WHICH by the way would have annoyed me immensely to have my peace at the beach shattered like that.

When I visit the beach on Sanibel and Captiva its again another experience entirely, no driving on the beach and a more upscale group of people.

I too have been pained to see some of the bathing suit choices that you mention. When I was in St. Maarten a man who had to be 80 came walking down the beach, by that age his bum cheeks had collapsed so I was really worried that thong was NOT going to stay on with nothing to hook the back to. My daughter and I used to spend alot of time at the waterparks in Orlando and I notice there are alot of people who should have asked for a second opinion on the bathing suit they wear. I try to think of it in a more positive way. These people have a more positive body image and its a good thing.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I suspect part of the answer has got to be the beach you are at. I live 45 minutes from Daytona but never go there, its just not my scene. I prefer Ponce Inlet Beach which is just about New Smyrna, still close, not as many shark bits and alot of room to spread out, you can drive out on the beach and find a location without the people you speak of.

WHICH by the way would have annoyed me immensely to have my peace at the beach shattered like that.

When I visit the beach on Sanibel and Captiva its again another experience entirely, no driving on the beach and a more upscale group of people.

I too have been pained to see some of the bathing suit choices that you mention. When I was in St. Maarten a man who had to be 80 came walking down the beach, by that age his bum cheeks had collapsed so I was really worried that thong was NOT going to stay on with nothing to hook the back to. My daughter and I used to spend alot of time at the waterparks in Orlando and I notice there are alot of people who should have asked for a second opinion on the bathing suit they wear. I try to think of it in a more positive way. These people have a more positive body image and its a good thing.
Are you sure you weren't on the clothing optional beach on St. Martin? Part of one of them is you know, although it is clearly marked.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Are you sure you weren't on the clothing optional beach on St. Martin? Part of one of them is you know, although it is clearly marked.
I was on the French side on the clothing optional beach. Further down to my left was the nude folks so I guess it could have been worse, that 80 year old could have been completely nude.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 AM

88 posts, read 413,719 times
If you must listen to music, use an ipod or mp3.

If you want to play football, baseball, soccer or a similar game involving throwing, kicking or tossing an object, don't go to the beach or find an empty beach. The only ball sport that belongs at the beach is volleyball and that is played in a designated area.

Pick up your trash.

Pick up the trash left by others on your way off the beach.

Don't drop in on the locals.

Where beach attire that is appropriate to your body.

Don't set up camp on top of others. Unless the entire beach his crowded, if you can hear the other person you are too close.

If you are a tourist, stick to the tourist beaches. You will have more fun because the amenities are there for you, the life guard can save your drowning butt, and you will not bother the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida