Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:26 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times

Advertisements

Or having the key break in half in the car door lock because the key was old and it was so cold outside, at a mall parking lot. That was a fun experience, trying to get a cab home to get the other key and then coming al the way back to that mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
You don't have to be old to want this, by any means.

I'll be 54 in July, and I don't consider myself old by any means -- but I've had my fill of shoveling, digging out cars, and scraping ice off windshields to go anywhere. I went to Easter Mass in a snowstorm when I was a kid -- in New Jersey, which isn't exactly the frozen north. Enough already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Oh, my husband has had two epidurals

Quote:
Kudos to her. It's wonderful that she has the physical ability to do so. OTOH, both my husband and I have been told by our doctors that shoveling snow is on the forbidden list because of our back problems (especially for him -- he's had three epidurals, and shoveling snow could destroy the good those procedures brought him).
for his back problems too. Doctor said the same thing. BUT when they told him not to play GOLF too, he ditched the doctor and is now going to a chiropractor instead.

Those epidurals aren't "fun" anyway. I had two also with the birth of my kids. One wasn't given right and I got that infamous headache from it. Besides, if my husband can't shovel snow, then I most certainly can. I lift teenagers out of wheelchairs and change their diapers. You use your LEGS to lift, not your back. Most people just plain aren't trained in lifting techniques; be that people, or snow.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:36 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
shoveling snow after a certain age = heart attack

Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
for his back problems too. Doctor said the same thing. BUT when they told him not to play GOLF too, he ditched the doctor and is now going to a chiropractor instead.

Mine was told not to play golf -- or, if he did, to change his swing, which he refuses to do. Now he won't even watch it on TV. He was in agony from his disk problems (which partially developed from 38 years of working as a department manager in a large supermarket -- unloading trucks and spending good part of the day in a freezer), and he doesn't want to go back to that.

Those epidurals aren't "fun" anyway.

I know -- I was there with him for them. Not in the OR, of course, but before and after.

I had two also with the birth of my kids. One wasn't given right and I got that infamous headache from it. Besides, if my husband can't shovel snow, then I most certainly can. I lift teenagers out of wheelchairs and change their diapers. You use your LEGS to lift, not your back. Most people just plain aren't trained in lifting techniques; be that people, or snow.
I can't shovel, either -- I have degenerative arthritis in the lumbar area. It's so bad at times, I can feel the vertebra grinding against each other,and my lower back feels like it's on fire. I won't be sorry to never see snow again.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Or having the key break in half in the car door lock because the key was old and it was so cold outside, at a mall parking lot. That was a fun experience, trying to get a cab home to get the other key and then coming al the way back to that mall.
This is not an experience I'd want to duplicate!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:06 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
Quote:

I'll be 54 in July, and I don't consider myself old by any means -- but I've had my fill of shoveling, digging out cars, and scraping ice off windshields to go anywhere. I went to Easter Mass in a snowstorm when I was a kid -- in New Jersey, which isn't exactly the frozen north. Enough already.
Just buy a snowblower or pay someone to plow and clear the snow. Nobody likes to shovel.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
Quote:

As I said before things are a little different for you. Since you are retiring you can live anywhere that you like without having to worry about being somewhere with a healthy job market, salaries, beneifits, industry, social scene, etc. Florida is the retiree state and would be fine for you. Younger people looking for the above things I mentioned are a different story.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Just buy a snowblower or pay someone to plow and clear the snow. Nobody likes to shovel.
We'd have to store the snowblower in the living room -- we have no garage. And we already do pay someone to shovel.

What you don't seem to get is -- we don't want to do that any more. How hard is it to understand that we are sick to death of dealing with winter?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
You know a few times when we had a lot of snow (over a foot), I would get out my shovel, etc., in the garage and hear a noise outside. Somebody, don't know who, would come by with a plow and just plow it, then LEAVE.

Imagine that? Out of the goodness of their hearts?

My husband hates shoveling, BUT he also hate MOWING GRASS too. Can he escape that in Florida too? No, we live in a development where he doesn't have to. We PAY them to MOW, so why not go the whole route? Snow, leaves, GRASS.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Snow shoveling is just an iota of Northern hassles. There's the slipping and sliding in the snow, the scarves and the gloves and the boots and the hats and the jackets.

There are good-hearted people here in Florida too. We called a door company because one of our doors seemed to be stuck and they sent out two men who maneuvered the door in it's tract and said, "No charge." My dentist often says, "No charge."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida