Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:10 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times

Advertisements

Interesting article on an attorney for a city manager facing dismissal because he's seeking a sex change operation tried Friday to persuade city commissioners to change their minds. His $140,000-a-year job running this city of 76,000 people west of Tampa.

Should he be allowed to stay in the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Absolutely! This man has been city manager for several years, and has done a good job. What difference does it make if he does it in pants or a skirt?

I think this might just fall under sexual discrimination if they do end up letting him go.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Yes, he definitely should be allowed to keep his job as long as he's been a productive employee. I don't quite understand the trans-gender thing, but they lead a very hard life so there has to be a very strong desire to change their gender and they often say they've felt like they're trapped in a man's/woman's body since they were small.

Also, out of respect for his feelings, he should be called by what he prefers to be called. Many people use their middle names or a nickname and that's fine, too. It's just as easy to say, "Madam" as it is to say, "Sir".

Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
He's just trying to show americans are bad? lmao He IS an American! Boy is that one from left field. As far as dressing as a woman for a year... that is the requirement for all trans-gender surgeries. The doctors won't do this on a whim, only after a year of living as a woman to be sure this is really what they truly want to do.

He has been the city manager here in Largo for 14 years. Obviously he does his job well. It doesn't matter if he is male or female... or transgender. He has proven his ability to do his job. He should stay.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:17 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
I say keep the job. What does it matter what gender? You can not discriminate based on gender, age, race, religion, etc. If hes fired, I bet he can sue for discrimination and win alot of money so the city better think twice about that.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Of course they should let him keep his job - for god's sake he's not having a lobotomy - he's is changing his gender - his brain is intact.

Hopefully he is a good City Manager and she will make an equally as good City Manager afterwards. :-) Sounds like the city wants a lawsuit on their hands.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:40 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
well I guess they didn't agree... he was fired. Now they will be wasting tax money on lawsuits.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:45 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
I believe that they should keep him/her in the position. But the issue here is the decision that was taken to change the gender. We as individuals can accept the concern without fear of critics, but the political and local GOV has a problem. This can be the lawsuit that sets the basis for future actions within the same issue.

Many legal scholars will devate this issue and I think will reach the supreme court.

summergal,

Can you post the statement that mentioned that he/she was fired. I will like to see the reason, lawyers are going to have a field day with this one.

Will like to see the religious position on this one, a bucket of sparks....

Old 03-24-2007, 04:50 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
well I guess they didn't agree... he was fired. Now they will be wasting tax money on lawsuits.
There shouldn't be any law suits. I was watching the story on TV and it said his contract states he can be terminated anytime without a reason. He would have to prove it was discrimination, a pretty hard thing to prove. Besides, they will have to pay off his contract and what ever perks that go along. I think it said he made $140,000 so I would guess he may walk away with in the $300,000 range or so and be on his way.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I believe that they should keep him/her in the position. But the issue here is the decision that was taken to change the gender. We as individuals can accept the concern without fear of critics, but the political and local GOV has a problem. This can be the lawsuit that sets the basis for future actions within the same issue.

Many legal scholars will devate this issue and I think will reach the supreme court.

summergal,

Can you post the statement that mentioned that he/she was fired. I will like to see the reason, lawyers are going to have a field day with this one.

Will like to see the religious position on this one, a bucket of sparks....
City managers come and go all the time there is not going to be any law suits. In fact he may have misrepresented himself from the start and would never have been hired in the first place. If he lets himself get drawn into some kind of BS by others with an agenda he would be a fool. Just get on with his new life and I would not be surprised to see him hired to do the same job somewhere else. It is a situation of his own creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida