Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:17 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I live in a house built in 1952, in a town where many homes date back to the 1920's. In an area that is not unpopulated but defiantly not crowded. Many perceptions of Florida are built on stereotypes, and in a state as large as Florida diversity exists you just gotta get off of I-95
I liked Venice area, not much going on, but... cool area, nice hidden beaches, some cool innercoastal waterways as well and amazing sunsets. You definitely do have one of the best areas of Florida still.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,002,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Every house built in Florida since like 1990 is a "Cookie Cutter". You tellin me Florida isn't crowded already??? C'mon!

Up here in Indiana "Cookie Cutters" are called "Vinyl Villages" The town I live in has very very decent "Vinyl houses/Villages" compared to most towns across the nation. But that maybe because of the laws passed banning such houses.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Default Funny story about that

Quote:
Every house built in Florida since like 1990 is a "Cookie Cutter". You tellin me Florida isn't crowded already??? C'mon!
I came home from work (new school) and was a little tired. As I pulled into my driveway and was getting out of the car, I got a strange feeling something wasn't quite "right". I then looked around at the plantings, and realized they were different. I had pulled into the driveway of the house 3 doors down from mine. I have lived in my house for a year and a half.

Cookie cutter?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:44 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
god knows why anyone would be jealous of people up North, we couldnt wait to leave...

Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM

147 posts, read 565,983 times
Floridians just want Northeners to stay North

Old 03-15-2009, 08:57 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
and u know what I agree...and Im a northerner..***let me ADD because I dont want to offend northerners as Im born and raised NYC however, It the NORTHERN mentality that we cant stand, the attitude, the Im better than you, the Rudness.******..now those NORTHERNERS who are nice and didnt forget where they came from, and are relived to leave the hussel and bussel behind are alright in my book.

and I can tell you here the vast majority wish the northerners would stay north...I hear it all the time....

Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,333 times
Quote:
That is so ridiculous to say. It's because technology is a lot better now and it enables us to put up houses a lot faster compared to 1990. This can be said for practically any city in the US having "cookie cutter" design even here in Virginia there are TONS of them. You may not like them but they are being built for someone, and I'm pretty sure the person buying the house obviously has no problem with it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 PM

436 posts, read 1,083,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
and u know what I agree...and Im a northerner..***let me ADD because I dont want to offend northerners as Im born and raised NYC however, It the NORTHERN mentality that we cant stand, the attitude, the Im better than you, the Rudness.******..now those NORTHERNERS who are nice and didnt forget where they came from, and are relived to leave the hussel and bussel behind are alright in my book.

and I can tell you here the vast majority wish the northerners would stay north...I hear it all the time....
Now I see... You were born and raised in NYC. And you want to leave NC for South FL... now I see... It's in your blood to move from NY to FL. NC is the complete opposite of NYC. S FL (in many ways) is very similar to NYC (S FL = the 6th borough), so I could see why you may be attracted to S FL.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,194,715 times
Heck NO! No shoveling snow, no snow tires, no gray, gloomy skies for 6 months. We got some of the best looking women here and are down to earth. This goes for most of the midwest as well.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM

910 posts, read 2,314,926 times
Well, it's not really having to do with the we're better attitude. To me, it's just taking more time for FL to get caught up with a lot of things and the planning doesn't seem to be as well done.

As an example, this idea of the Sunpass and specifically, the widened Sunpass lanes. A lot of construction is going on for widened Sunpass lanes. That kind of construction was completed a couple years ago already in Illinois.

I contend that the gaps between tolls in FL are much closer together than they are in Illinois as well. And, in Illinois, you get 50% off for using an electronic transponder, not 10-20% off max like you do in FL, so not as much of a discount and they hit you with more tolls in between. Illinois I-pass transponders can be used in other states, EXCEPT Florida, while Florida transponders can only be used within FL.

The road infrastructure planning down here doesn't seem as bright either. Unused lanes that only last a mile or less just to merge back haphazardly. Criss crossing exchange lanes? See that on the 408 as you enter/exit the I4. It's improving, but should have been done right years ago.

There's supposed to be a new special on one of the local stations either tonight or this week on how funds are again being mis-directed rather than continue working on the roads. As soon as I get more details, I'll try and share that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida