Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Face it, the job market is pretty bleak in most of the country right now, although there are jobs--and good paying ones at that--out there for people with a marketable skill set and realistic expectations.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
been reading some of the threads in the General US forum about" are people in the north jealous of Floridians" or something similiar and was wondering are Floridians jealous of people who live in the North?
Nope, not me. I watch the TV reports of the weather up there and I talk to family and friends, and I can't for the life of me believe anyone still wants to live up there. As far as jobs go, not everyone who came to Florida needed or wanted a job. And as far as education goes, I'm happy my grandkids are being educated in Massachusetts and not in Florida. I'd say I have it as good as I can get it right now. I'm eternally grateful for my Florida life and the way the chips fell around me.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,062 times
"Since the midwest has changed far more in the last 20 years then Florida,"

I dont think any state has changed more drastically than the state of FL in the last 20 yrs. Where in FL do you live?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I'm sorry. I must have forgotten about you and the 5 other people who call "Weiki-Watchie" home. I know I spelled that one wrong...

Gonna get mad at me for that too?
I am not getting mad. I am just pointing out that your generalizations are completely wrong.

Maybe one day you will post something with some truth but I won't hold my breath.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I have to laugh at the poster that was talking about no jobs and poor salaries in the Mid-West... sounds kinda similar to the sunshine state to me...

I have to laugh at this poster because they evidentually do not understand the thread.

The sunshine state was never known for high paying industrial jobs like I posted about, so the point of yours is moot!

By the way, Florida has many more ways to make money or extra money then any state other then California I can think of.

Give me a break, when a waitress outside of Disney at Smokey Bones can make 40k per year being a waitress at 21 years old tells me some people just are to darn lazy to get a real job.

You can clean pools for those darn successful people who have money and or good jobs and make a living in Florida ya know.

I would much rather be poor in Florida then anywhere else. I could find 10 jobs or create 10 jobs in one day in Florida, I could not do that here.

Wendys outside of Disney had a sign hiring 10.00 per hour. How about working 2 jobs at 10.00 per hour? If you work 12 hours per day and ONLY 5 days per week you should be able to survive easily.

Anyway, look at the job losses in Florida over the past 30 years, well you cannot, it has grown over those 30 years, then look at Ohio, Pa, Ky, Wva during those same years, major losses.

I get sick of hearing the whining about no jobs in Florida, seems most who whine have not been to Detroit, Cleveland, Indy etc. For many to think that Florida is so bad, believe me, Florida is heaven compared to many northern towns.

When my niece moves to Florida and gets a 40k year job on day one and has worked the job for a little over a year, it tells me some people just expect far to much for having little to no skills to survive.

Oh wow, appears the average Floridian makes more money then the average midwesterner. Uhmmmm.

Per Capita Personal Income by State

State 1980 1990 1995 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2005 2006

Florida 9,246 18,785 23,512 26,845
27,781 27,764 29,048 29,596 30,446 33,219 36,720

Ohio 9,399 17,547 22,887 26,073 27,171 27,977 28,699 29,405 29,944 32,478 33,320
West Virginia 7,764 13,964 17,913 20,185 20,921 21,738 22,862 23,688 24,379 27,215 28,206
Indiana 8,914 16,815 21,845 25,163 26,157 26,933 27,522 28,240 28,783 31,276 32,288
Kentucky 7,679 14,751 19,215 22,183 23,227 24,085 24,878 25,579 26,252 28,513 29,729

Cry me a river. With no state income and lower cost of living in Florida then most of these states, the idea that Florida is so awful has just now been tossed into the trash.

You can sell hot dogs on the corner and make a living in Florida!
All those dang well to do people have to eat don't they? Shame on them for having skills to make money when so many people do not.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Sunny, I love ya and I love your posts however it isnt easy finding a Job in Florida right now, let alone all over the country, lay offs are going to only get worse, dh got a call this morning for a phone interview this afternoon they just called him the company cancelled the postion and is no longer availabe...I cant tell you how much of this people here.. we know trust me or enough to live on....it depends on what does for a living, and lets face it on 40k dollars a year u cant feed a family on that in high cost areas....let me rephrase that, u can do it and in this economy alot of people are, where we live its inexpensive but we also dont have alot of services etc....so I will have to disagree with you on this one, but your other posts are right on the money

Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
depends where you are at in Florida and frankly your statements are ridiculous about how easy it is to make money here... Sunny many places in Florida are hurting horribly right now. Florida California and Michigan have the most unemployed people in the nation...plus Florida also has a ton of illegals that aren't even factored in.
I am not sure where you were or when you were last in Florida, but it has changed big time since 2006.. You can't even get a job at a fast food place here, nobody is hiring and places are going out of business...

Wendys here is not hiring, if they did, they would pay you 7.21. Period. Law firms here pay 7.21 an hour. IT Jobs that pay 50K+ elsewhere pay 9 an hour here.

I haven't been able to find a job in 5 months looking here and I have a university education and 7 years in the IT industry. This is the first time in my lifetime since I was 14 where I could not find ANY job.

likewise if you want to hate on the midwest, take a look at chicago.craigslist.org or dice or monster or careerbuilder and type in 60601 and look at the jobs. There are entire sectors and types of positions that most of Florida does not even have period as the economy is so wacked out on tourism and real estate and refused all these years to innovate and get a more balanced industry for residents who want to stay here.

You do make a good point though Sunny, if you want a low skill low wage job and happy with that for the rest of your life renting a 1br apartment living paycheck to paycheck, pretty easy in Florida to be stuck with that with no career advancement ever! What was the point of going to school and paying 50k in tuition?!?! You have found the answer! Just go get a 40k job at Smokey BONES!!!! This is the funniest thing I've seen on this board in weeks. But you are right this is the industries florida has!!! Low skilled restaurants and tourist related and hotel jobs! I know people with masters degrees working 8-9 an hour because there is no jobs here and just saving up money so they can relocate.

Last edited by grapico; 03-16-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I have to laugh at this poster because they evidentually do not understand the thread.
It's pretty hard to get the meaning of this thread wrong. Are Floridians jealous of people who live in the North ? Obviously the answer is NO. But I do believe that most Floridians that can't get a great job like working at Wendy's, Smokey Bones, and selling Hot Dogs ( as you listed below ) would prefer to give up great weather for better jobs and a smaller cost of living. I could be wrong but that's pretty much the gist I get from my family and friends in Orlando, Lakeland, and Tampa.

Quote:
The sunshine state was never known for high paying industrial jobs like I posted about, so the point of yours is moot!
My point is not " moot " If anything that proves my point that Florida IS known for low wages which would make the average Floridian wish they were up north making better wages.

Quote:
By the way, Florida has many more ways to make money or extra money then any state other then California I can think of.
By creating your own business and crushing your employees spirit by paying minnimum wage or less ? Or by working them 39 hours instead of 40 so that they don't qualify for health insurance ?

Quote:
Give me a break, when a waitress outside of Disney at Smokey Bones can make 40k per year being a waitress at 21 years old tells me some people just are to darn lazy to get a real job.
So a waitress at a Smokey Bones in a tourist trap can make 40k a year, Big deal. While Florida may be a giant tourist trap, It's only in certain areas. Waitresses I know at Sonny's in Tampa sometimes take home less than $200 a week working full time. Lazy ? Give me a break, It amazes me how if someone can't find a job or can't find a decent paying job it's always because " they're lazy "

Quote:
You can clean pools for those darn successful people who have money and or good jobs and make a living in Florida ya know.

I would much rather be poor in Florida then anywhere else. I could find 10 jobs or create 10 jobs in one day in Florida, I could not do that here.
Pool Cleaners in Florida are a dime a dozen and the job doesn't pay well. I'm glad you would rather be poor in Florida than anywhere else and as far as you " creating " jobs, I guess you've never been denied for your permits or licenses or have been shut down for NOT having them ? Didn't think so.

Quote:
Wendys outside of Disney had a sign hiring 10.00 per hour. How about working 2 jobs at 10.00 per hour? If you work 12 hours per day and ONLY 5 days per week you should be able to survive easily.
Just called Wendy's at 1615 W Kennedy Blvd in Tampa (813) 254-7205. They said they are not hiring and when I asked how much they usually start their workers off at, His response was $7.25/hr. which I believe is also close to Florida's minnimum wage. Not really a tourist trap though and I doubt people in Tampa will drive to Orlando for a $10/hr job.

Quote:
Anyway, look at the job losses in Florida over the past 30 years, well you cannot, it has grown over those 30 years, then look at Ohio, Pa, Ky, Wva during those same years, major losses.

I get sick of hearing the whining about no jobs in Florida, seems most who whine have not been to Detroit, Cleveland, Indy etc. For many to think that Florida is so bad, believe me, Florida is heaven compared to many northern towns.
Of course Florida would have job growth, Look at the population boom. There is a difference between good jobs and low paying food service jobs which seems to be all you listed. I've been to Detroit, Cleveland, Indy, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis. What's you're point ? Most of the people that leave those cities are either retiring or have found a similar job somewhere else. Recently with the automakers hitting rock bottom and Busweiser being sold, Yes, The MidWest is crumbling. They are still in better shape then Florida.

Quote:
When my niece moves to Florida and gets a 40k year job on day one and has worked the job for a little over a year, it tells me some people just expect far to much for having little to no skills to survive.
Okay, So what you mean to say is that the State of Florida is beautiful for people with a college degree but people with a H.S. Diploma or less are trash and need to move on down the road to somewhere like Alabama or Mississippi, right ?

Here is a little bit of a newsflash, People in Florida with Bachelors degrees are working in call centers making $9/hr + commission. How do I know that ? My cousin is one of those people and she says she's not alone. When I ask her why she doesn't come up here, She says she loves Florida and doesn't want to leave. Good for her, She can be broke.

Quote:
Oh wow, appears the average Floridian makes more money then the average midwesterner. Uhmmmm.

Per Capita Personal Income by State
Per capita income means nothing. Florida is gods waiting room. I haven't looked it up but I would venture to say that Florida is a mecca for Doctors and with the amount of crime I would venture to say it's also a mecca for Lawyers so they obviously bump up the income. You can't tell me a state who's biggest industry is tourism that pays minnimum wage has a higher income. The numbers are skewed.

Quote:
Cry me a river. With no state income and lower cost of living in Florida then most of these states, the idea that Florida is so awful has just now been tossed into the trash.

You can sell hot dogs on the corner and make a living in Florida!
All those dang well to do people have to eat don't they? Shame on them for having skills to make money when so many people do not.
Texas and Tennessee both have no state income taxes and both have lower cost of living then Florida. I don't get your point with the tossed in the trash statement.

As far as selling hotdogs on the corner, Is there a city in Florida that has a high pedestrian area ? Do You think I could make big bucks standing at the I-75 offramp in Lake City selling hotdogs ? Nope. Is selling hotdogs really a skill ? Do most people have the 3,4,5,6 grand to spend on a cart and another $200-$500 to spend on inventory ? Do they also have the $250 for the vendor permit and another couple grand for the $1,000,000 insurance you are required by the state to carry ?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Thanks TNRyan for pointing out the things that the ones actually living in Florida know about all too well. And why in several of my posts, one recently which I said out of about 20 of my closest college friends, I only know of 2 of them still in Florida. NO JOBS!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Thanks TNRyan for pointing out the things that the ones actually living in Florida know about all too well. And why in several of my posts, one recently which I said out of about 20 of my closest college friends, I only know of 2 of them still in Florida. NO JOBS!
I've been there grapico, If not for having an uncle living in Nashville back in 2001, I would most likley still be living in Florida to this day. I looked and looked for work and couldn't find anything that paid more than minnimum wage (and this was back in 2001) So I took my last $200 and rented a storage and bought a greyhound bus ticket and left.

It was sad but hell, It had to be done. You can't live in Florida making minnimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida