Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 AM

13 posts, read 96,395 times

Advertisements

[quote=FittyCents;7915807]don't have to worry about no Dog the Bounty Hunter catching you in Florida.

Hawaii, now thats a different story.[/quote

Here's my fifty cents worth: Please, Dog, The Bounty Hunter, watch you every Wednesday night in Tampa FL, please catch me & return me to my home, Hawaii.

If Florida had a two legged "Dog" here, it would be a haven and paradise like Hawaii but in the meantime, gotta watch your back, the senseless shootings, robberies, carjacks, home invasions, rapes, violent attacks, yep, you're right, Florida doesn't EVEN compare to Hawaii. Some people say I just give 'em the look & they leave me alone. Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSNEWISLAND
while Florida has 4-5 hurricanes per week in some months & is very expensive to live in this southern state, not like years ago.

#1, Florida does not get 4 -5 hurricanes a WEEK!

#2, it's cheaper to live in Florida now than it has been in years and years.

I've never been to Hawaii, but I hear it's beautiful. I would never be able to live on an Island hours and hours from the mainland, however!! Talk about feeling disconnected from the world! (Unless that's your thing).

Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
If given a choice between South Florida and Hawaii, I would choose South Florida hands down. I love the flat landscape, the heavy humid air and the Caribbean vibe. To tell the truth, Hawaii would actually drive me nuts! A lot of it reminds me of Southern California on steroids.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,293 times
Yea judging from some of these replies, it's obvious that quite a few of you have never been to Hawai'i for any extended amount of time. Southern Cal on steroids? Really?

Here's the deal:

You say you want to move to Hilo, or around that area. I live in Hilo now, and I relocated from Philly so the culture shock could not be any greater. Everything you imagine about Hawai'i in terms of aesthetical beauty is true. One poster said it rains close to 300 inches in a year. It does not. More like 150 inches or so, plenty enough trust me. The rain is usually in short spurts, and they're showers. You'll hardly ever see thunderstorms. I happen to live very close to Mauna Kea (volcano) so there's vog, which really just looks like an overcast day. Not like what you would imagine.

Here are the things I don't like:

It is true that outside of O'ahu there is a towny feel, and I feel it's exacerbated by the fact that people here have grown up in relative isolation. In short, they do things ass backwards here. There is literally no sense of urgency to get anything done, and what would take a week anywhere else, could take several months here. Efficiency is not a cultural emphasis.

The locals are fine - the whole racism thing is blown out of proportion. If you're haole (white) you notice it more because it is one of the few places in the country where you are not the majority. You may very well experience some things here and there, but mostly I view their complaints as a response to the shock of the experience. IMO welcome to how the other half lives on the mainland.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but the job market for professionals here is not great. The economy is relatively underdeveloped by major market standards outside of Honolulu. Primary professional industries on the Big Island are education, health care, ancillary health care (physical therapists etc) and scientists (astronomy and marine biology are world class here).

One last side note - The world has something like 16 or so different climates. This island has 11 of them, so there's a ton to see. Beaches are world class too. Island fever? Again, people who haven't been here. The Big Island is larger than all of the Hawaiian islands combined. You'll be fine.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
If given a choice between South Florida and Hawaii, I would choose South Florida hands down. I love the flat landscape, the heavy humid air and the Caribbean vibe. To tell the truth, Hawaii would actually drive me nuts! A lot of it reminds me of Southern California on steroids.
This is the truth! Hawai'i is the most commerically crass state in the Union.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Location: By body is in JaxBeach, FL but my mind is in Hawaii
37 posts, read 207,965 times
Default It's Freezing in Florida - Literally

Just figured I would throw this out since it fresh in my mind. It has been below freezing in Florida for the last several days... and will continue to be that way for the next week. - Yes.. it has warmed up during the middle of the day - and know we have no right to complain compared to Vermont, Conn., Wisc., etc.. but if you are thinking Florida is always warm and sunny - think again. Wind chills are in the teens and 20s. Like HI, I wear nothing but flip-flops (slippas) here.. so having to put on the shoes (hat, coat, and gloves) has not been fun.

Even have freezing temps all the way into South Florida this week. My neighbor who also has a house in the Bahamas, and was there this last week, said it was even cold down there - into the 50s. May sound nice to some.. but not if you are into warm weather.

As my Facebook status states... If I wanted to live in COLD and FREEZING temps, I would live up North... -

Stay warm all my Florida friends!!!

Can't wait until we make our move to Hawaii!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM

160 posts, read 498,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGirl13 View Post
Just figured I would throw this out since it fresh in my mind. It has been below freezing in Florida for the last several days... and will continue to be that way for the next week. - Yes.. it has warmed up during the middle of the day - and know we have no right to complain compared to Vermont, Conn., Wisc., etc.. but if you are thinking Florida is always warm and sunny - think again. Wind chills are in the teens and 20s. Like HI, I wear nothing but flip-flops (slippas) here.. so having to put on the shoes (hat, coat, and gloves) has not been fun.

Even have freezing temps all the way into South Florida this week. My neighbor who also has a house in the Bahamas, and was there this last week, said it was even cold down there - into the 50s. May sound nice to some.. but not if you are into warm weather.

As my Facebook status states... If I wanted to live in COLD and FREEZING temps, I would live up North... -

Stay warm all my Florida friends!!!

Can't wait until we make our move to Hawaii!
Well you live in Jacksonville which is the furthest north major city in Florida.

It is not freezing in Miami or Naples. It is not hot but it ranges from cold to cool in the mornings and at night, and during the day when the sun is shining it's actually quite nice out. And this is not typical Florida weather by any means.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty911 View Post
Sad thing is unless you grew up there you are never accepted and even isolated to those, like you, who have moved from the mainland. Good luck.
The same is true for many parts of Florida, particularly the NE. The people are polite and friendly, however they already have their circle of friends. But at least in Florida, you can drive away and meet old friends. Can't really do that in Hawaii!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 PM

96 posts, read 358,021 times
DO NOT MOVE TO Hawaii, its nothing to do there, other than going to Honolulu, I advise you to be in Florida. You can navigate easily thru the continental United States.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,606 times
Most of those on this post who've down played hawaii have def not been there very long, if at all. It is a place of culture and beauty. The weather in the summer runs between the mid 90's to a high of the low 100's. In the winter you can expect mid 80's the highest in the country! When it rains, it pours..but only for a few minutes, and its still hot during these intervals so one can still enjoy the weather. There is plenty to do, from the mall, to the beach, to parties and local events. Not even including all the water and mountian activites possible! Yes whites are not the majority but that is one of the best parts of hawaii, the racial variation adds to the relaxing atmosphere (Speaking from african america/Jamacian decent). Caucasions should try to embrace and learn the culture and they will easily be accepted by the locals. I lived there when i was younger and i am so excited to be moving back. And while florida is also an awsome and fun exprience (Also lived there for two years). Hawaii is a more valued escape to paridise and a blessing away from the madness of this county. Good luck=)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida