Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 AM

8,064 posts, read 4,639,344 times

Advertisements

Hi! I currently live in St. Louis, MO and I want to relocate to a tropical climate. I am currently torn between selecting Florida or Hawaii for my move. Have any of you that have lived/live in Florida previously lived in Hawaii (or vice versa)? What would you consider some of the pros and cons in comparing living in Florida versus living in Hawaii? Thanks for your input -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Hi! I currently live in St. Louis, MO and I want to relocate to a tropical climate. I am currently torn between selecting Florida or Hawaii for my move. Have any of you that have lived/live in Florida previously lived in Hawaii (or vice versa)? What would you consider some of the pros and cons in comparing living in Florida versus living in Hawaii? Thanks for your input -
This really is comparing apples to oranges. The only thing these two states have in common is sand and palm trees. And even those aren't the same.

Ok now...it's cheaper to live in Florida. You are still free to move about the continental US in a car will little to no planning.

The natural beauty of Hawaii is unbelievable but.....it's very expensive and most mainlanders that I know get what's called "island fever". You can't just jump in your car and drive to another state. That gets to you after awhile.

Good luck in your choice.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
You don't get the pervasive humidity in Hawaii, and the climate is termperate, there's minimal change between summer and winter. Here in Central Florida we have a 35 degree difference in average daytime highs between winter and summer.

But, you aren't stuck on an island, you can find parts of Florida where living is laid-back and affordable, and you can easily and cheaply drive or fly to other parts of the country.

Also want to mention that not all of Florida is "tropical."

Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I agree with all of the above, and also that Hawaii is tremendously expensive - cost of goods has to travel a long way. I have read some of the boards here on Hawaii and the cost of power must be 4 - 5 times what we pay here. And it's a long, long flight to anywhere else. To me, Hawaii is a great place to vacation, but not to live. We have lots of variety here in Florida, and it will cost a fraction of Hawaii's price.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:31 AM

88 posts, read 413,740 times
I lived in Hawaii for over 12 years and now live in the northern past of SE Fla. for the past 4. Prior to that was California, Australia and a short time in London. Comparing Florida to Hawaii is sort of like comparing Puerto Rico with Florida. There are so many differences in each location in Hawaii just as there are in Florida. You need to be more specific on the specific areas you are considering.

I think of Florida as a poor man's Hawai'i. Generally, it is much less expensive to live in Florida than Hawai'i, but it depends where you live. You could live in Pahoki cheaper than Miami, and it is more expensive to live in Palm Beach than Diamond Head.

Hawai'i is not all mai tais, luaus and ukuleles. There is a spirit in the land and people of Hawai'i that you have to experience to understand what I mean. There is no such spirit in Florida.

If you are referring to S.Fla., the only real weather similarity between the two is there are on the same approximate latitude and neither really get cold.

More people try to move to Hawaii than in Florida. If you move to Hawaii you will get used to dropping off people at the airport b/c they could not make it for one reason or another.

People in Hawai'i do not like outsiders moving there. Go on vacation, leave your money, stay at the tourist locations, and go home after a couple weeks. Then again, I guess Fla is the same in some respects.

Some people get island fever, but I never understood the reason why. If you move to Hawai'i you MUST assimilate, and even then you will be an outsider. Conversely, if you move to Florida, you can select a location that is the same as up north, just warmer.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 AM

8,064 posts, read 4,639,344 times
Thanks for the input. If I move to Hawaii I would move to the Big Island -- probably near Hilo but possibly elsewhere on the Big Island depending on where I would find a rental that I truly like. If I move to Florida I will move to somewhere in the Sarasota/Sarasota County area.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,905 times
I just watched a show on HGTV "my first place" the housing cost is unbelievable. $700k bought you a tiny shack that needed work. I would hope the salaries are high enough in order to justify it.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You don't get the pervasive humidity in Hawaii, and the climate is termperate, there's minimal change between summer and winter. Here in Central Florida we have a 35 degree difference in average daytime highs between winter and summer.

But, you aren't stuck on an island, you can find parts of Florida where living is laid-back and affordable, and you can easily and cheaply drive or fly to other parts of the country.

Also want to mention that not all of Florida is "tropical."
Not to call you out but 35 degree spread sems to much. Its more like 20-25 degree difference between July avg high and Jan avg high. In July we are average low-mid 90's during the day and low 70's in January. Also, while Florida is more accessible by plane to cities throughout the U.S. it is still one hell of a long drive to get anywhere by car.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Hawaii is X100 more expensive, especially housing costs. Sometimes you get what is called, "Island Fever" - you have to leave the island - and being in the middle Pacific, it can be expensive hopping on a plane for California.

Hawaii's climate is much nicer than FLA. The beaches are nicer, of course. If you're caucasian, you're a minority in HI. Sometimes you feel out of place, as if you're in a foreign country.

I loved living in HI, but realized that it has become a place I'd rather visit for a few weeks, than live permanently.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Thanks for the input. If I move to Hawaii I would move to the Big Island -- probably near Hilo but possibly elsewhere on the Big Island depending on where I would find a rental that I truly like. If I move to Florida I will move to somewhere in the Sarasota/Sarasota County area.
I agree. I once considered buying an ultra small studio apartment in Hilo, but changed my mind. I like Kona side of the Big Island better - nice weather, drier. Hilo is wetter - more rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida