U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,235,576 times

Advertisements

Please tell me when and where you moved from (if you haven't lived here all your life) and what positive things you found about living here in Florida. If you moved here from another place, please explain what keeps you here or keeps you coming back to live. PLEASE NO BASHERS! I welcome everyones opinion, but please I'm looking for the good/positive side of things. I will also do a thread for the negatives, so you will have your chance to shine there I promise. Thank you all.

Let's talk about all of your good experiences. Moved here for a job going great. Perhaps lost a job, but had look finding a new one and are still doing well. I'm not discluding anyone, but I would really like to hear from some working families (I'm a little partial, since I'm one of them). I would love to hear from everyone though, so please don't leave the good stuff out.

I realize not everything will be a good situation, but most times positive comes out of negative. I just wanted to try and limit the bashing that so often takes over a good thread. Let's see if it works.

Last edited by Shoegal1075; 03-18-2009 at 11:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,582,230 times
Good thread Chelsa

I dont need anymore negativity as I have plenty of that with family....I always go with my eyes open, and since we already MADE the BIG move here, it will be easier for us this time around...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 PM

9,301 posts, read 17,938,993 times
I like how the state really still is a work in progress and how it has the tendency to change like the coastline after a tropical storm. It's a 'young' state compared to a lot of the Northeast and Midwest and if you want to, you can play a role in the future of the state. I like that there always seems to be new people and groups moving through an area and how they bring their own viewpoints and dreams to the table in shaping the area they move to. It keeps the state from stagnating.

I like how one of the best places to watch a space shuttle launch is from a floatable raft about 25 yards offshore of Cocoa Beach. There's just something neat about that mix of high tech and casual beach life.

I like how the state actually has its act together come hurricane season. When I compare how it was here after Ivan to how it was in Misisisippi and Louisiana after Katrina, it really makes me appreciate how well the Florida Department of Emergency Management and most of the locals do their job.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 PM

557 posts, read 1,701,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
What good things can you say about living in Florida, whether you have lived here all your life or are a transplant?
PA transplant here:

The sheer beauty of the state (lakes, rivers, swamps, Orange groves, Cypress trees, Spanish moss on live oaks), the wildlife, the state and local parks, some of the best beaches in the world, great boating and fishing opportunities, and meeting folks from all over the world are some good things about living in Florida.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM

32 posts, read 96,811 times
We moved here in August from the Chicago area. We are in our early 20's and recently graduated college. We will have been married for 2 years in May.

We moved down here because I got a job down here. My husband got a job prior to us moving down as well. We live west of Orlando... near a town called Clermont. We enjoy living in Florida for many things.

I love the way the homes look down here, that was one of the first things I noticed when we moved, to me the homes look different, a good different. I love seeing the palm trees. I love I can drive to the beach in an hour or so. I love that I don't have to pile on the layers/coats in the winter. I love that you can actually swim multiple days during the summer.

We love the area we live in, we live in a hilly area of Florida (yes there is such a thing) and we live far enough from the attractions that we don't have tourists here, but close enough that from some of the hills you can see Disney fireworks.

We wouldn't move back up north for anything.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:26 PM

8,178 posts, read 17,197,216 times
I've been here for 25 years. I'm originally from Central Illinois.

I've found my place. I have a good job that's pretty secure. I like that there are so many very different areas of Florida. You have the south and then you have everything else.
Oceans, lakes and wonderful wildlife.
The population is very diverse and everybody is just about as friendly as you are to them.
You can keep to yourself or you can socialize.
There's something for everyone....well except for mountains and volcanos.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM

15,964 posts, read 33,762,023 times
Born and raised here, I love my state and have no desire to move.

I love the beaches (some of the best in the world!), the vast variety of foliage from tropical palms to hardwoods, the incredible wildlife, the many lakes and rivers, the central towns with hills and woods, the diverse and cosmopolitan nature of many of the cities and towns, the many cute and quaint small towns, the many beautiful botanical gardens, the SMELL OF ORANGE BLOSSOMS IN THE SPRING!!! (heavenly! ) I also love the great ethnic variety of foods and fresh seafood here, the beautiful Spanish architecture and the 1950's Florida stucco homes (we live in one!), wearing sundresses and Hawaiian shirts all year, and our long season of beautiful weather. I want for nothing living here, it fits me and hubby to a T! And as a sidenote, hubby was born in CA, lived in the midwest and then in England and Belgium, and has traveled all over the world, and there is no place he loves more than Florida!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:55 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,235,576 times
Thank you guys - Where are all my people who like Florida????? I have had 34 responses to the negatives, which in my opinion are the same negative you would have in any state, except for the heat (which is not the biggest issue for me, so I don't see this as a negative yet). Funny the gripes everyone has here is the grip everyone across the United states has. I think a real issue is that people come here thinking they will get away from their problems. That isn't what I expect. I don't expect to come here and my kids will be perfect angles. I don't expect to have a sparkling clean house, I don't expect to have lots of money. What I do expect to do is have a yard for the boys, more gatherings at my home and a home I can call my own.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM

3,636 posts, read 8,949,693 times
No shoveling snow... Beaches in all directions pretty much. Orange blossoms are by far the BEST smell ever... I love to go metal detecting, so I will be on the beach a lot in the early morning when I can.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:36 PM

4,423 posts, read 6,539,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
PA transplant here:

The sheer beauty of the state (lakes, rivers, swamps, Orange groves, Cypress trees, Spanish moss on live oaks), the wildlife, the state and local parks, some of the best beaches in the world, great boating and fishing opportunities, and meeting folks from all over the world are some good things about living in Florida.
We may not have mountains but we have oceans and beautiful lake areas with phenomenal wildlife. The people are happy, always smiley-faced, and there's a lot to be said for having a glass of wine on the patio in January. It's a good life and getting better all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida