Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM

13 posts, read 32,583 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm currently exploring at a job opportunity in Lakeland, FL. It would definitely be a change from my current location, which is about 40 miles northwest of Chicago, deep in the heart of suburbia. So... I'm looking for some honest, non-sugarcoated opinions about the area.

First, here is what sounds appealing:
I HATE the cold and I can handle the heat, so the weather is a definite plus for me. I know it's inland, but it's a lot closer to the ocean than where I live now, so the idea of being able to make occasional day trips to the beach definitely appeals to me. I grew up in a small-ish city, so I think I would prefer a slower paced area, as opposed to the rat race of a huge metro area.

Now, the toss-ups and unknowns:
Either way, I'd be a couple hours away from family: My mom and step-dad live in Indiana (where I'm from) while my dad and step-mom live on the east coast of Florida. As for salary vs. cost of living... the job would be in the same profession, but I don't know the salary as of yet. It does look like the cost of living in Lakeland is way lower than the burbs of Chicago.

Finally, the concerns:
Starting over in a new city is never easy, and I know that Florida may not be the best place to relocate if you're young and single. Even though I live and work in suburbia (where it's mostly families) I've made a decent social life here and found people to be more or less accepting. I'm a fairly private person and don't wear my sexuality on my sleeve. Nevertheless, if I'm going to find a decent group of friends and not have to lie about myself when on the job, it is important to me to find some people that are accepting and non-judgemental.

So... that's my situation in a nutshell. Is Lakeland for me? Would I be better off living closer to Tampa? Staying put is always an option too. I just want to get a general feel for the area before doing anything. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:40 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
We lived in Lakeland for a year and a half, so here is my assessment. If you live in the downtown area, you will find a fair amount of diversity and I know there are some gays here, including gay-friendly realtors and businesses. I think the downtown and south downtown areas are the nicest and most "progressive" here. If you go too far out into the suburbs or the outskirts of town you may not find it too accepting, but then this will be the case for a lot of cities and towns, not just Lakeland. Lakeland is a clean and beautiful city (in the areas I have recommended) and it has an up-and-coming arts scene, a nice performance venue, beautiful parks and lots of recreational opportunities. What it does NOT have is a "nightlife, bars-and-clubs scene."

Depending where you are working, you might look into some areas near downtown Tampa where a lot of young professionals live. The commute from that area is about 40 minutes between the downtowns. Tampa will be far more diverse, and have much more of a "happening" scene.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:30 AM

558 posts, read 1,835,057 times
You would be much better off in Tampa imho. This is an extremely backwards religious right wing community and you would HAVE to be very careful for your own well being and safety.

If you absolutely HAD to move here then stick to South or Downtown Lakeland like Gypsychic said. You'll still have to be cautious and discreet but you will at least have a chance of living a calm normal life. West, north, and east Lakeland are areas you want to stay away from. I wouldn't tell very many people at your job because that might lead to work place problems. This is Polk County.

Ryan Skipper's Murder | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

It is a shame that in 2009 people still have to worry about being treated unfair due to how they were born.

As for beaches, I usually go Fort De Soto or Cocoa Beach which are both under 2 hours from Lakeland if traffic isn't too bad.

Honestly I would stay put where you are until the economy improves. You don't want to relocate to an area and then end up getting laided off. Our unemployment rate right now is almost 10% and climbing.

Polk Jobless Rate Swells to 9.9% | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL-

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,011 times
I advise against Lakeland too. Orlando has a big gay population. But not Lakeland.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,832 times
Florida Department of State - Election Results=

This might help to give you an understanding of the acceptance levels in the various counties of FL. These are the results by county of Amendment 2 (total constitutional ban on gay marriage and civil unions) from this fall.

Polk (lakeland)= 72% for the ban, 28% against

Hillsborough (Tampa)= 59% for, 41% against

Orange (Orlando)= 60% for, 40% against

Based on that, I'd say Orlando or Tampa is probably more gay friendly than Lakeland.....

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
bored out of your mind???

I am not gay, but I am 28 and just pulled a very similar move... I am pretty eccentric and open minded, and like going to nightlife that is frequented by gays as well. Culturally Florida overall is not even a hiccup compared to Chicago.

Here is what I'm doing and perhaps you should do the same?

I went from Chicago for the same weather type reasons and to be close to my family, to Florida... HATE IT... now going out to the Bay Area in June... San Fran will feel very much like Chicago urban wise... but definitely way more open than BoysTown overall. And the weather is MUCH better than Florida.

I will just have to fly in more to visit my family.

Job Market is horrible in Florida compared to Chicagoland market... not sure what you do... but I have been here 5 months and haven't found a job in IT. I am in the panhandle though, but I don't think there are much greener pastures anywhere in FL. And you want to see sticker shock? Wait until you see the salaries. If you are in the burbs of Chicagoland, Florida might actually be HIGHER cost of living to you.

If you must do Florida definitely do greater Miami or the Keys...

good luck!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:10 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,193,847 times
Were I you, Lakeland wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rank it ahead of, say...um...Frostproof or Starke, but that's about the best I can say for it.

St. Pete has a terrific gay community, and Pinellas County, in general, is far ahead of Polk or even Hillsborough (Tampa) in that respect. Eastern Hillsborough and Polk are pretty much the land of God, guns, and pickups with truck testicles-- with the occasional cookie cutter suburb or meth lab thrown in.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:42 PM

"the land of God, guns, and pickups"

Do you find something wrong with God or pickups? Or even guns if used responsibly (protection, hunting)

Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,193,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
"the land of God, guns, and pickups"

Do you find something wrong with God or pickups? Or even guns if used responsibly (protection, hunting)

Hop, you're trying to start something.
And I notice you cut off the rest of the descriptor (the truck testicles).

Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Well I wasn't gonna include guns, b/c it can be a controversial topic too, but that's why I highlighted "responsibly" in bold print. I think truck nuts are freakin' funny! There's a lot more for Floridians to worry about then someone putting testicles on their truck. It's pretty harmless. But child abductions, senseless acts of violence which are pretty widespread, the economy, lack of jobs, and property taxes are a concern.

But if you dont wanna answer the question, no problem. I just think it's kind of odd to talk down about a place or poke fun (which obviously is what you were doing), but then mentioning "God" in it. Just caught me off guard. Sorry if you meant nothing by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida