Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:59 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1 View Post
I live in Buffalo Ny and right now i'm sitting in my house while it's cold and rainy and dirty from all the snow. If you think Florida is so bad, move. I sit in the house 6 months out of the yr because it's so cold all the time unless you like winter sports. You have huricannes, we have winter storms which we had on Oct 13 which left people without power up to 10 days in the cold. Our taxes are just as high or higher. I have a vacation home in Davenport and it's only a manufactured one yet no damage from hurricanes.We have great prices for vacationers and the home is only 2 yrs old so you need to do research as far as vacations. Also. if you live near the beach, i'm sure it doesen't cost anything. Maybe look for a cheaper place to live.
I grew up in the northern mountains of N.H. so i know what you mean about cabin fever. It is quite miserable and depressing at times. I've been in FL 13 years now and i spend about 3 months indoors here in FL because it's so darn hot, muggy and miserable to do anything outside and it rains everyday in the summer I swear the same time at 2:00 where i live from the seabreezes colliding. Oh an imagine losing your power for 7 days after a storm and not having Air Conditioning in 90+ temperatures and add the humidity and moisture in the air with it. Not to mention losing all your food in your fridge. Oh it was absolutely terrible. At leat you can build a fire to warm up. Not much can be done to cool down let alone even find a bag of ice to buy. The beaches are great but try finding parking places and not having to walk forever carrying all your beach stuff. Unless you go to Daytona where you can just drive on the beach and unload right there. All that said and done, i like FL. Though i'm planning a move to TN in about 5 years i'm quite happy here right now. I'm just ready to see the 4 seasons again and maybe a bit more comfortable weather during the summer months. Florida has 2 seasons, Summer and Fall without the change in colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 PM

86 posts, read 221,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I grew up in the northern mountains of N.H. so i know what you mean about cabin fever. It is quite miserable and depressing at times. I've been in FL 13 years now and i spend about 3 months indoors here in FL because it's so darn hot, muggy and miserable to do anything outside and it rains everyday in the summer I swear the same time at 2:00 where i live from the seabreezes colliding. Oh an imagine losing your power for 7 days after a storm and not having Air Conditioning in 90+ temperatures and add the humidity and moisture in the air with it. Not to mention losing all your food in your fridge. Oh it was absolutely terrible. At leat you can build a fire to warm up. Not much can be done to cool down let alone even find a bag of ice to buy. The beaches are great but try finding parking places and not having to walk forever carrying all your beach stuff. Unless you go to Daytona where you can just drive on the beach and unload right there. All that said and done, i like FL. Though i'm planning a move to TN in about 5 years i'm quite happy here right now. I'm just ready to see the 4 seasons again and maybe a bit more comfortable weather during the summer months. Florida has 2 seasons, Summer and Fall without the change in colors.
Well if you have a fireplace, you can get warm. We did not get a lot of fall this past year and when we do it lasts about a month here and hardly any spring. My vacations are to florida in feb i just love my home there. I wish i could be there more with my parents as they are your typical snow birds they keep staying longer and longer. I sure the heat would get to me at times just like the cold but the quality of life just seems so much better the in the house 6-7 months of the yr. I know what your saying about the heat in the summer but at least you can get up in the morning and go out side and not have to fight the blowing snow. i CAN'T stand the cold. I quess i would have to pick the lesser of the two evils. I would not move to a hot state unless i had a pool. What is worse, being in the house for 3 months or 7 months?

Old 04-01-2007, 05:46 PM

121 posts, read 503,988 times
Default Amen Brother

Truer words never spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I don't worry about the weather, there's nothing any of us can do about it, period. All my problems come from people. The relentless high taxes take away money I could use for home improvements, or air conditioning. Problems with helping my parents fight Miami-Dade government have stolen countless hours from my schedule.Team Metro, as well as dealing with the frivolous lawsuit has all been wasted time. Florida has problems, but the majority are caused by it's people and government.

As for time spent posting, I deal with clients and suppliers all day. I post here when I get a free minute or two. No time wasted there, I am on hold anyway!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM

142 posts, read 578,468 times
Quote:
Well if you have a fireplace, you can get warm. We did not get a lot of fall this past year and when we do it lasts about a month here and hardly any spring. My vacations are to florida in feb i just love my home there. I wish i could be there more with my parents as they are your typical snow birds they keep staying longer and longer. I sure the heat would get to me at times just like the cold but the quality of life just seems so much better the in the house 6-7 months of the yr. I know what your saying about the heat in the summer but at least you can get up in the morning and go out side and not have to fight the blowing snow. i CAN'T stand the cold. I quess i would have to pick the lesser of the two evils. I would not move to a hot state unless i had a pool. What is worse, being in the house for 3 months or 7 months?

The oppressive heat lasts longer than 3 months in S. Fla. But I admit Buffalo would be breaking off more than I could chew (winterwise)...

Old 04-02-2007, 06:08 AM

Well like i said, last october they call it the suprise storm. That's right October 13th with no heat and electicity for 10 days in the cold. It looked like a hurricane hit with thousands and thousand of trees lost and damage. FEMA was called in. By this weekend it will be back in the 30's for Easter which really is depressing. I've been in floirda during the hot and humid months and i would still take the heat. We here in Buffalo also can get very hot (high 80's low 90's) and humid during the summer months. I definitly still perfer the warmer days as i get older.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:13 PM

40 posts, read 341,566 times
I just have to say that you all are so much fun, I have read all these posts and am laffing like a hyena, whatever Florida does to us, it sure makes monkeys outta all of us, loved the poster with the gator in the pond, lol...we used to have one nearby as well...lotsa info on this site and great fun too!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,567 times
We try to get out as much as we can. Biked both days this weekend and went to an art festival in town. We also saw Meet The Robinsons in 3-D We are 5 minutes to WDW property so we are there several times a month (dinner, parks, dessert, people watching.) We work there seasonally so we get our passes (less $$$ plus discounts.) Kayaked near Honeymoon Island and biked near Dunedin about 2 weeks ago with friends. We like to get together with friends and do tourist things like Shell World (192), Cypress Gardens, Gatorland-lol. We try to have a game night every 3 weeks or so-lots of fun. If I am going to make less $ here and pay more to live I AM going to have fun darn it! I am lucky I work from home/right in town too-no driving/traffic to waste the day.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dadark View Post
The oppressive heat lasts longer than 3 months in S. Fla. But I admit Buffalo would be breaking off more than I could chew (winterwise)...
Have you ever been up north in the winter?

Old 04-03-2007, 07:04 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,748 times
Quote:
Have you ever been up north in the winter?
Yes, I have. 3 months of a real winter compared to 9 months of the "Florida winter" is not that bad. Believe me, if you move down here you will begin to dread every single morning when you have to to get in the car and go to work. Leave work and your car will be at a lovely 100 degrees inside, you will already be drnched in sweat by then, but getting in a sauna-car is not fun either.

FYI: Just as an example, it is March and I have had my A/C cracked down to 71 the whole day and night or sweat and be uncomfortable all day long. It is hot and muggy, like you had never seen before.

The weather has been 65 and 100% humidity from 6:30am - 10:00am. That is when the temps jumps to 75, still 100% humidity. Then we go from there to 86 degrees, and still the yucky 100% humidity, so it feels like 90+ degrees. You will neve sweat like you do here in March. It is hot, very hot. Not the dry, mild heat. It is highly uncomfortable.

Once you hit late May - late Sept, the weather will be 80 degrees with 100% humidity in the morning, to reach 90 - 95 degrees during the day (again, 100% humidity causes the heat index to feel like it's over 100) and peak out at 92 - 95 degrees by 5pm, with the "lovely" 100% humidity. By Oct, the weather "cools down" to about 90 daily. By Nov or Dec, you seem to feel no difference, it will stay in the 90s.

Mind you, I am relating the month of MARCH to you. The weather usually begins to suck around the begining of April and it continues to be horrible until right before Christmas. Your A/C will be on the whole time. If you turn it off during the day, the humidity will build up on your walls and the walla begin to "sweat". That causes indoor mold and usually makes indoor allergies become unbearable.

Let me not even get started on the allgergy thing, as it is terrible down here. People have these week-long headaches because of the pollen and mold spores, which are aggravated by the high humidity. I have met tons of people that don't have headaches where they mopve here from and have no allergy issues, but they develop these conditions once they get down here.

That aside, you will find yourself:

1. Forcing yourself to go out and get drenched in sweat daily. That means from your house to the car then from the car walking through the parking lot to the office and then (the worst every day) back out from the office arounf 5pm to the car. The later is appalling, just ask the locals what I am talking about.

2. Stay home all the time during the "FL winter". That means go to work and the grocery store and back and stay indoors the whole time, as long as you can.

3. Try and be outdoorsy like you are in your home state and m ake everyone esle around mad because you are so sweaty and stinky.

I know you think this will be fun... I hear that story all the time. But move down here and the terrible heat will make you sing a different tune. I hear the "I am so glad it's this hot" at first and then I hear groaning and complaining all day long after the first 3 or 4 months. The 9-month summer really takes a toll on your patience.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Default A different Orlando

Ok I think this Nirviana person is just miserable......Or lives in a different Orlando than I do.
I live and work in Orlando and have for the past 25 years. We have had the most beautiful weather possible for the last month or so. Sunshine everyday, low humidity. Nobody I work with wants to be inside this time of year. I'm not a "yard" person per se but even I have enjoyed doing my yardwork just for an excuse to be outside. We've also been out on the motorcycle just about every weekend.
Sure our A/C is on but having ours on 75, it kicks off around 11pm.
The mornings are still a bit crisp which is very refreshing. Knowing it will be hotter and more humid in a couple months make the weather we are having now quite wonderful.

How you live your life is your decision and how happy you make yourself is also up to you. If you don't like where you are living then move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida