Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 AM

321 posts, read 1,025,222 times

Advertisements

I drive just under 75mph. I hit my cruise control as soon I get on the interstate. I only move into the passing lane TO PASS SOMEONE. Gee, such a concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 AM

436 posts, read 1,083,901 times
Good grief, ppl going 85-90 in a posted 65mph, or maybe 70mph zone. I thought they were all 65mph, and ppl admit to going up to 90mph. You deserve the ticket if going that fast. I go maybe 8-9 mph over the limit. Cops cant get everyone though, as there are far too many speeders in FL.

Gee, you think ppl that drive 20-25 mph over the limit has anything to do with our driving reputation, accidents, and fender benders? NAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by HopToIt; 03-22-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
Good grief, ppl going 85-90 in a posted 65mph, or maybe 70mph zone. I thought they were all 65mph, and ppl admit to going up to 90mph. You deserved the ticket. I go maybe 8-9 mph over the limit. Cops cant get everyone though, as there are far too many speeders in FL.

Gee, you think ppl that drive 20-25 mph over the limit has anything to do with our driving reputation, accidents, and fender benders? NAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, a lot of accidents seem to be caused by people going too slow, causing frustration when they block traffic; by people that seem to think their cars will roll over if they go around a corner at more than 5 mph, and by people that simply cannot remember that the light will always turn green after it is red and they should be ready to step on the gas.

If you are going 70 or 71 on the interstate, please have the courtesy to stay in the slow lane and we all will be happy.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
No, a lot of accidents seem to be caused by people going too slow, causing frustration when they block traffic; by people that seem to think their cars will roll over if they go around a corner at more than 5 mph, and by people that simply cannot remember that the light will always turn green after it is red and they should be ready to step on the gas.

If you are going 70 or 71 on the interstate, please have the courtesy to stay in the slow lane and we all will be happy.
I do agree. However, going too slow and causing frustration (although frustrating) isnt as bad as the people who WILL drive aggressively no matter what, because they are aggressive people who drive like idiots no matter what. FL doesnt have a shortage of these folks, unfortunately. My point is, you can do everything right, and someone will still be stupid and ride your a$$ whether in the left lane or the middle lane, or the right lane. I was in the middle lane yesterday going the speed limit, or maybe 5 or 7 over, and I saw a man constantly changing lanes and driving like an idiot. He was going atleast 90, and this wasnt on an interstate. I almost called FHP as he was cutting people off and changing lanes like crazy. There are far too many of these types in FL, and I'd rather take my chances with someone going the speed limit in the left lane than to be around people I see acting like the person mentioned above. Ever been on the Palmetto Expressway? Perfect example.

Are you one of those people that honks their horn if the person in front of you doesnt go the very second the light turns green?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Quote:
Good grief, ppl going 85-90 in a posted 65mph, or maybe 70mph zone. I thought they were all 65mph, and ppl admit to going up to 90mph. You deserve the ticket if going that fast. I go maybe 8-9 mph over the limit. Cops cant get everyone though, as there are far too many speeders in FL.

Actually, the biggest danger I see is the motorists who won't stay out of the left lane when they aren't passing. Like it or not, "people" like to drive fast. Doesn't matter if they are southern 1st generation native Floridian or rude Hispanic New Yorkers or whatever, most of the accidents are caused by tailgating or dangerous passing maneuvers which are usually a direct result of people who don't keep right if they are going to do 5 under the speed limit. The speed limit is on I-75 in Broward County, for example, is 70 MPH, and there are four lanes of travel per direction. That is a very generous speed limit given the number of lanes, but unfortunately, because people decide it's ok to "cruise" in the left lane doing 55 MPH, the faster motorists (yes, they exist everywhere) get impatient and decide to pass on the right, which creates a very dangerous situation for people merging onto the highway.

Fact is, you won't ever get people to slow down on the highways no matter where you are, so more enforcement of other traffic laws (like illegal passing) as well as aggressive driving (tailgating, etc) is probably the right way to go. Once that is taken care of, then maybe speed limits should be enforced. I'm not saying you should be able to drive as fast as you want, but anything under 85 MPH in the correct flow of traffic.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
I drive just under 75mph. I hit my cruise control as soon I get on the interstate. I only move into the passing lane TO PASS SOMEONE. Gee, such a concept.
I basically do the same thing. Too many people act like idiots on the interstate, and I feel if I just take it easy, stick to the middle lane usually, and only move to avoid slow people and big 16-wheelers, then I will be OK.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Actually, the biggest danger I see is the motorists who won't stay out of the left lane when they aren't passing. Like it or not, "people" like to drive fast. Doesn't matter if they are southern 1st generation native Floridian or rude Hispanic New Yorkers or whatever, most of the accidents are caused by tailgating or dangerous passing maneuvers which are usually a direct result of people who don't keep right if they are going to do 5 under the speed limit. The speed limit is on I-75 in Broward County, for example, is 70 MPH, and there are four lanes of travel per direction. That is a very generous speed limit given the number of lanes, but unfortunately, because people decide it's ok to "cruise" in the left lane doing 55 MPH, the faster motorists (yes, they exist everywhere) get impatient and decide to pass on the right, which creates a very dangerous situation for people merging onto the highway.

Fact is, you won't ever get people to slow down on the highways no matter where you are, so more enforcement of other traffic laws (like illegal passing) as well as aggressive driving (tailgating, etc) is probably the right way to go. Once that is taken care of, then maybe speed limits should be enforced. I'm not saying you should be able to drive as fast as you want, but anything under 85 MPH in the correct flow of traffic.

Exactly! So dont act like you (not you Compelled) are more important than everyone else, dont ride ppl's a$$es, make dangerous maneuvers, etc...go the speed limit, and drive safely. There are arguments for both sides, but I'd take the person going the posted speed limit in the left lane, then some crazy jerk who is whizzing in and out of traffic. Face it, rude a$$ people are gonna pass on the left or the right because they feel like they are more important than everyone else. Let's face it, no shortage of these ppl in S FL, they will weave in and out of traffic no matter if everyone is following the rules or not. They aren't patient enough anyway to wait for someone in the left lane to move over anyhow so they can pass. The left lane is for passing anyway, not driving faster than everyone else. Go the speed limit and not fly and these problems would occur much less frequently!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Exactly! So dont act like you (not you Compelled) are more important than everyone else, dont ride ppl's a$$es, make dangerous maneuvers, etc...go the speed limit, and drive safely. There are arguments for both sides, but I'd take the person going the posted speed limit in the left lane, then some crazy jerk who is whizzing in and out of traffic. Face it, rude a$$ people are gonna pass on the left or the right because they feel like they are more important than everyone else. Let's face it, no shortage of these ppl in S FL, they will weave in and out of traffic no matter if everyone is following the rules or not. They aren't patient enough anyway to wait for someone in the left lane to move over anyhow so they can pass. The left lane is for passing anyway, not driving faster than everyone else. Go the speed limit and not fly and these problems would occur much less frequently!
Wish cops would pull people over more for wreckless driving... rather than speeding... wreckless driving is much more dangerous than going fast. I've been known to go fast, but I obey and use turn signals, and obey and wait 10 seconds before changing lanes again, don't tailgate, don't peel out, etc.
In Germany they will take your license away for tailgating.
Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:57 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,003,803 times
I live no where near Florida or I-75 for that matter. On local roads I stick to the speed limit however on the expressways and rural routes that is different story. yesterday posted speed limit was 55mph on US 40 and I was closing in on 75mph

Old 03-22-2009, 03:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,493,132 times
It is true that the sped limits up here in NY are 55mph.....although the NYS Thruway is 65. There are none higher.

What makes it fun are our potholes, etc. We have a saying up here regarding speed limits......"8 you skate, 9 you're mine", meaning how much you can drive over the limit before getting a ticket. I do not know if it is true or not, but I commonly set the cruise for 8-9 over the limit and have not gotten a ticket in over 30 years.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: