U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:21 AM

320 posts, read 1,489,595 times

Advertisements

OKay, I understand the benefits of tile but it will still take some getting used to. When I lived in Florida in the past, this still wasn't the big thing. Now it seems that everyone is doing it. I have never lived in a home before without wall to wall carpet in all areas, except the wet areas.

This is going to take some getting used to. I will also have to purchase some new nifty gadgets to help with the clean up. I think plastic cups will be in order for all children. I hate the idea of having broken glass sprayed all over. It seems like it would be really hard to see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 06:23 AM

Almost forgot to mention, electric cost seem to be p everywhere, including KY. Although our electric in KY, is still quite a bit lower than other places. Texas is another story...

Old 06-28-2006, 01:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,726,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum
Oh I know! Tile tile tile everywhere tile!

Jewels - I can relate to wanting to "hang" on the floor! Ahhhhhhhh CARPET!!!!!!!!! How I LONG for CARPET!!!!!!!! Nice thick plush soft wall to wall (& I mean every square inch including kitchen & bathrooms!) CARPET!!!!!!!!! Tile floors are COLD! I mean I can't set foot on them without slippers or something on my feet! Unless my feet happen to be really hot-then it feels good

Macguy - WHAT PART OF FL ARE YOU IN???!!! We have CBS & complete tile and our last FPL bill was 180+!!!!!!!!! They DID raise the rates (same useage a year ago was 160+) but still! And we don't ever keep it below 76!!!!! And it's not just us-believe me I've asked around & our bills are quite normal for this time of year. We have a 3/2 and the highest summer bill last year was 200+ so this year I expect 220+...WINTER bills are mid 80s/90s - under 100$.
Are you in a small condo? I don't get it
But back to the topic...CARPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Fort Lauderdale. There is more to it then that, we have made an effort to make the house as efficient as we could. The house is around 2000 sq. ft but we don't air condition the whole house just the rooms we use. the house also has a 3 foot attic fan that takes all the heat out of the attic as well as ventilates what ever room we want to. We do it at the right times of day when the humidity is down and the air outside is a little cooler. Also, all the lighting in the house is CF. That has saved us a lot. I have 10 flood lights around the property.

I used to have 75 watt floods in them I now have 14 watt CF lights. The difference just there is pretty big. before we were spending about $20.00 a month just to burn the flood lights we now spend $3.70. This is the case all through the house. All the direct exposed windows are tinted to help keep the house cooler. Even things like leaving your computer monitor on all the time cost money if it is a CTR. For example 250 watts is 6 kilowatts a day or where I live about $.66 cents or $19.80 a month. That could be cut in half or more by most people.

A TV is the same thing, some people never turn them off they don't even turn them off when they leave the house. Just plain waste such as not leaving lights on all over the house all the time and just making an effort to conserve is all it takes. It can be fun actually, almost like a game. There is mores but you see what I mean.

I don't expect people to live like I do but it can be done. I'll tell you it can be funny, you go in someone house and they have like three TV on one in the kitchen one in the living room one in the kids room and no one watching any of them, lights on all over the house, several computers on. The air running like crazy and the house leaking so bad it's like trying to air condition the out doors and they wonder why their bills are so high. Any house can be made more efficient if the people choose to.

Last edited by macguy; 06-28-2006 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM

Wow! That is impressive. We rarely have the tv on but we do leave the computer on all day. I'll have to remeber to start turning it off when we are not going to be using it for awhile. I do try to keep the lights off when we are not using them. We have a lot of windows in our home so we don't usually need to use any lights in the daytime unless it is a really overcast day.
I don't use CF lighting but my parents do and they swear by it.

I'd love to hear more of your energy saving ideas.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,564,818 times
That IS cool! Good for you! We don't really pay attention, but we don't own a TV, don't really leave the comp on much (although it's usually in use, so...!), turn the air to 80 when we're out etc. So who knows? Maybe it's the long hot showers? (We even use cold for all our laundry!) Oh well...

Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 64,156 times
I've often wondered why folks up north celebrate 50 degrees outside by wearing a sweater with shorts. That's as odd as northerners wearing wingtips with black socks on the beach. I'm not knocking northern people but, Jeez, did they look in the mirror?

Tile: It's a tropical thing. Tile retains a cooler temperature and it looks classier than carpet. This is a subtropical place. Carpet is warm and fuzzy. We don't want no stinkin' warm and fuzzy. We want cool to the bare feet or sandals.

Also, we paint the walls colors other than white or oyster white or designer white or eggshell white. You only live once and there will be plenty of white in heaven. Get some color up on those walls, slate on the living room floor, and tile in the den and the screen porch. Tile: It's not just for bathrooms, anymore.

We sit in screen porches...when it's hot and when the air is thick with humidity. Once upon a time there was no A.C. in Florida. People sat in screen porches and drank cool drinks. Then we jump into the pool. You don't trod on carpet in wet feet with a dripping swimming suit.

Next question.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:47 PM

566 posts, read 1,956,153 times
And for these allergy seasons...there's nothing friendlier than tile, rugs harbor lots of grass, tree pollens that we track in with our feet.
There's always those tropical looking area rugs, too... Every once in a while, I just plop the two that I have, on top of the adjustable ladder my husband has or on a tree, & hose, hose away with water & soap - let dry in a very sunny area & back in they go. The synthetic ones do best with this method. The wools can bleed & get messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida