Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 PM

85 posts, read 566,808 times

Advertisements

Why does everybody think it is so great to live in Florida ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 11:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl
We don't live there yet, but hope to live there soon. No, it's not a stupid question. We want to live there because we live in the upper midwest and it gets very cold here in the winter. We average 30 inches of snow here during the winter, too. We've always loved the warm weather and Fla. has that. Winter can be hard on people who have arthritis or osteo problems (like me) so a milder climate helps a lot of people to live with less pain. We love so much about Fla. The palm trees are beautiful and places like SeaWorld, Cypress Gardens, etc. are so nice to see. The ocean is absolutely awesome and it's fun going to the beach. We're looking at the Ocala/Leesburg area and Silver Springs is near there. They have concerts with some of the rock n roll bands from the 60s that we like. For us, it's like going to a totally different world. The original reason that we went to Fla. was because my brother's wife was born and raised in Florida. We now want to live closer to family. I'm anxious to see the reasons that other people like it there.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 PM

124 posts, read 303,096 times
I live in Florida, since 2004 and I just enjoy every day here. The beach is just one of many reasons why life here is so wonderful. The warm rain, the sun, the friendly people, the water, the laid back attitude, fishing, artists all over the place, open air events, cottages, boating, no snow:-), pools, biking all year long, white sand, shells, outside restaurants and coffeeplaces, .... I could go on and on and on.... (I live in Gulfport, close to St. Petersburg).

Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl
My job might get shipped to China. We might need to move to where the jobs are. We've looked into AZ, CA, NC, and FL. FL seems like the best fit for us because we've been to the state many times, we still have relatives in FL.

We love to be by the water. Here in Ada Michigan, we are 45 minutes away from Lake Michigan. Yesterday after work, I went there and rode the Sea Doo for a while.

We are contemplating...should we move before the axe falls or should we stay to the end? The biggest thing: schools. The standard in the south is much different than the north. We have 4 kids under the age of 10 so it's a factor for us.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:30 AM

144 posts, read 824,538 times
I don't think it's a stupid question at all..it was one I asked myself at age 7 in 1976 when I was drug to Florida by my parents. I hated it then and hated it all these yrs I lived in Cape Coral and watched our sleepy little safe town to go heck in a handbasket.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 AM

320 posts, read 1,557,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla
My job might get shipped to China. We might need to move to where the jobs are. We've looked into AZ, CA, NC, and FL. FL seems like the best fit for us because we've been to the state many times, we still have relatives in FL.

We love to be by the water. Here in Ada Michigan, we are 45 minutes away from Lake Michigan. Yesterday after work, I went there and rode the Sea Doo for a while.

We are contemplating...should we move before the axe falls or should we stay to the end? The biggest thing: schools. The standard in the south is much different than the north. We have 4 kids under the age of 10 so it's a factor for us.
Perhaps this is one of those things that you need to play by ear. If a good job comes available now, you may want to go ahead and take it. If not, you have up until your job gets shipped off. Are there many others that will need to relocate as a result of your company shipping their jobs off to China? If there are, that may be another factor to consider. You don't want to all be competing for the same jobs at the same time.

BTW - I think it is great that you have 4 children. We are not fortunate enough to have a large family but I love it when I hear of others who are.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 AM

112 posts, read 364,411 times
I've lived here for over 2 years and even though my wife wants to be near trees, have more change of seasons, etc. because she was raised in FL, I want to stay here. I'm on the water north of St. Pete and we love it. Yeah, hurricanes can be a drag and luckily the Tampa area hasn't had a direct hit.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:37 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
It isn't called PARADISE for nothin'!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:44 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
There is no perfect place to live but FL is best in the winter months for sure. Everyone has a different set of circumstances why they move, who they leave behind, etc. If landscape and weather means more to you than being with family, then it's fine. I've been here 2 years now with no other family members around except my husband and I think I'd take the snow in PA to be with family than stay in FL. Also, depending on your career, you can expect to make a lot less money here. My set of circumstances are that I worked my way up in a major corp. up north. I left a 60k a year job and all I could pull together here is supportive position for 33K. Everyone is moving to FL, therefore there is a lot of competition for the few good jobs there are. It could be different in other cities, but that's how it is here in Orlando.

My advice to anyone before they move to FL is to really do your homework with the job market unless you independently wealthy. It's not that cheap to live in FL any more.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:13 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times
Oh goodness...it's not a stupid question at all. It gets one thinking...
For me, well...I was born here so this is home - I love the ocean, fishing, the winters, the different people & foods... Even when I've traveled out of state or out of the country...something funny happens, I can't wait to get back only after 2 days!! By traveling I realized there was no place like home.
I might yap & get upset about ins rates., the heat or the overcrowding in Miami, but it's like me complaining w/my husband, "hey...! can I please have the remote for just one time or...please throw the socks in the hamper for Gods sakes" but I still love him, & I truly love Florida too & everything in it, & oddly the gators, and mosquitoes, too. It's part of the ambiance.
Florida might not be for everyone as everyone has their own personal interests or yearn for their own childhood environments that they might not be aware of if they are unhappy here. For example, they might be here due to a job & have no choice. Maybe, they yearn for those change of seasons they grew up with, even snow or cold air, or a town feel with the same looking people, the same foods...maybe, they want their own personal blast from the past and don't feel comfortable in another enviroment. Florida is not the same all over, either...and one might be unhappy in one county or city, but by moving to a different place here, life can become different. So think like an explorer, learn about Florida & start searching..., and I'm sure there is something uniquely wonderful waiting out there just for you.

Last edited by lulu; 06-29-2006 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida