Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Well, bottom line, Publix stands alone for a reason - the majority of people here love it, and they just drive ALL the other competition out. Once upon a time, Florida DID have several other chains, but as a native here, NONE even came close to what Publix offers. Once I started shopping at Publix, I never went back to any other. Yes, it is more expensive on many items, but I can usually make up for it on sales and BOGOS. Plus, I do some of my shopping at smaller chains or non-chains. Publix is also shaking things up in other states they have entered. They got their act together.

I don't understand why so many are griping about Publix. Even my smallest oldest Publix is awesome, with a full line of organics or anything I want. And always clean with superb customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 07:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't understand why so many are griping about Publix. Even my smallest oldest Publix is awesome, with a full line of organics or anything I want. And always clean with superb customer service.
It's crazy how many there are in south Florida, near where I live there are two on Route 1 and they are only about a mile apart.

As far as great customer service, it's only fair in my area. One time I asked a young lady where something was and she just pointed to the far end of the store and said "over there". Also they don't have self check out lanes which I love, and often times they only have one 12 items or less line with the slowest clerk in the store working it with 10 people waiting in line.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
No they won't, The public will benefit, Publix won't.
Exactly, the very premise of a free market economy. Competition lowers prices and forces the strong to stay focused on quality, or lose out.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
One of my gripes with Publix is their alleged buy-in to the organic movement with Greenwise products, but once one reads and understands the fine print on many of their items (poultry and eggs especially) one sees it's mostly meaningless.

From the GMO Awareness website..."Publix “Greenwise” organics: Publix’s website says every item with their ‘Greenwise’ label is “high quality and either all-natural or organic.” Because the term “all natural” means little to nothing in today’s labeling standards, we recommend purchasing only those ‘Greenwise’ products that include the term “Organic” in the label (since this term disallows almost all GMO ingredients, and it appears that Publix is interpreting the term “organic” in the same way that the USDA does. For maximum assurance, choose products that *also* carry the USDA Organic seal. Be aware, Publix is a long-time member of the Grocery Manufacturer’s Association—an organization that has donated millions of dollars to oppose and defeat GMO labeling—when you shop here, your dollars trickle upstream!"

Old 06-06-2015, 02:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Yes, it is more expensive on many items, but I can usually make up for it on sales and BOGOS.
Publix carries some items that can't be found in other chain supermarkets (e.g. Winn-Dixie). But the prices...
Also, I have found that the Publix in nicer parts of town have slightly higher prices for some items than the Publix in other areas.

I do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart. I get more bang for my buck there, though the produce leaves a lot to be desired, and there isn't much of a selection there. I sometimes shop for additional items at either Winn-Dixie or other local chains. I only sporadically shop at Whole Foods, for specialty items that can't be found elsewhere. Whole Foods is even more expensive than Publix, for some of the same items. I was at both stores last night, and I noticed one specific item that was $3.00 cheaper at Publix than at WF.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:39 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Publix carries some items that can't be found in other chain supermarkets (e.g. Winn-Dixie). But the prices...
Also, I have found that the Publix in nicer parts of town have slightly higher prices for some items than the Publix in other areas.

I do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart. I get more bang for my buck there, though the produce leaves a lot to be desired, and there isn't much of a selection there. I sometimes shop for additional items at either Winn-Dixie or other local chains. I only sporadically shop at Whole Foods, for specialty items that can't be found elsewhere. Whole Foods is even more expensive than Publix, for some of the same items. I was at both stores last night, and I noticed one specific item that was $3.00 cheaper at Publix than at WF.
I have been in Whole Foods maybe twice - they make Publix look like a super discount store. And yes, the sell many of the same things but much higher than Publix.

As to WalMart - there is a fairly new one near me, and that place is an absolute pit - with clientele and employees to match. No thanks. They aren't much cheaper (if any) than my little Publix up the road.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:56 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You left out Wegman's which would really be a problem for Publix...
Just like Wal-Mart, which can offer all of the products Publix does at a MUCH lower price, was a problem to Publix?

Walmart stops matching Florida competitors' buy-one-get-one offers | Tampa Bay Times

Old 06-07-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:

As to WalMart - there is a fairly new one near me, and that place is an absolute pit - with clientele and employees to match. No thanks. They aren't much cheaper (if any) than my little Publix up the road.
Yes Walmart is a lot cheaper than Publix. Even with the BOGOs you can get stuff cheaper at Walmart.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Just like Wal-Mart, which can offer all of the products Publix does at a MUCH lower price, was a problem to Publix?

Walmart stops matching Florida competitors' buy-one-get-one offers | Tampa Bay Times
Walmart and Wegman's are two completely different animals, and quite frankly I don't think Publix gives Walmart a second thought in terms of competition given the completely different profile of the average Walmart shopper versus Publix shopper.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Walmart and Wegman's are two completely different animals, and quite frankly I don't think Publix gives Walmart a second thought in terms of competition given the completely different profile of the average Walmart shopper versus Publix shopper.
I'm sure they do. Go to a well run Walmart and you will see middle class Americans trying to get a good deal. A lot of companies with Walmart wasn't around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida