Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 PM

23 posts, read 142,871 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from the other side of the pond and am looking for a town to live in Florida that would fit my needs. I went through lots of threads on the forum but figured that giving it a try with my own thread might be a better idea. My dream place would be:

1 - small town, preferably short commute to bigger city with college, nightlife and jobs with 30-40 minutes commute at worst
2 - as close as possible to nature. My family and I love the outdoors and would wish to spent a lot of time enjoying beautiful Florida. Easy access to either forests, swamps, rivers, lakes, fishing, kayaking or wildlife would be fantastic. I don't mind the beaches, but those things that I've mentioned are more significant. If pressed, I'd choose the gulf over the ocean.
3 - cheap, relatively cheap rent for a 2bed house, say up to 700$

To sum this up, what I'm really looking for is just an affordable area not far from college and jobs, with plenty access to the nature. I know this sounds so general, but perhaps any ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
It sounds like you need to look in the St. Augustine-Jacksonville-Gainsville area. On the west coast, I suppose around Tampa.

But for that level of rent, which seems really too low, I would say look for a town on the panhandle that may have a junior (community) college or a state university or small university campus, perhaps Pensacola or Panama City or thereabouts, even Tallahassee in the central panhandle.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 AM

86 posts, read 417,503 times
Gainesville has all of that, especially #2, but I would recommend living in parts of the town away from the University of Florida if you have a family because there is more catering to non-students there.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
I agree with Bale and the other posters.

Do you have a visa/green card?

Is it just you moving here?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I agree with Bale and I second RMD's questions.
That rent is rather low.
You might want to look into Port St Joe or St Joe Beach, both are about 40 minutes east of Panama City. Inland from PSJ or SJB is Wewathitchka, with little pockets of homes, some along the canals, very woodsy and secluded--and cheap rent.
But for a real college town, there is Tallahassee and its environs, or Gainesville.
FWIW:
There are quite a few expat Scots, Irish, and English where I live, on the northeast coast.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
jvc777;8021893]I'm relocating from the other side of the pond and am looking for a town to live in Florida that would fit my needs. I went through lots of threads on the forum but figured that giving it a try with my own thread might be a better idea. My dream place would be:

1 - small town, preferably short commute to bigger city with college, nightlife and jobs with 30-40 minutes commute at worst
Treasure Coast (Martin County) ... has small towns, Stuart, Hobe Sound, Palm City, Jensen beach with easy commutes to what you ask. College's, FAU (Jupiter), IRSC ... night life in down town Stuart, and not that far from "city place" in West Palm Beach. Hobe Sound would be the easiest commute for colleges and would include ( commute time) FAU's main campus in Boca Raton.

Quote:
2 - as close as possible to nature. My family and I love the outdoors and would wish to spent a lot of time enjoying beautiful Florida. Easy access to either forests, swamps, rivers, lakes, fishing, kayaking or wildlife would be fantastic. I don't mind the beaches, but those things that I've mentioned are more significant. If pressed, I'd choose the gulf over the ocean.
Martin County has all you ask in your desires for outdoor activities. Johnathan Dickerson State park, Loxahatchee River, Blowing Rocks Preserve, Indian River Lagoon, Access to Lake Okeechobee, Dubois State Park, Halpatiokee... way too many to mention, plus great beaches. You would be hard pressed to find more available "natural" Florida areas which are preserved, as is the case in Martin County.

Quote:
3 - cheap, relatively cheap rent for a 2bed house, say up to 700$
With the current market conditions you will still have to do your homework to find 700 or less... but it is possible. Martin County is a bit more expensive.

To sum this up, what I'm really looking for is just an affordable area not far from college and jobs, with plenty access to the nature. I know this sounds so general, but perhaps any ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

I speak with local knowledge, not state wide, nor are my suggestions a "competition" with others.
On a personal note... I have always like the Charlotte Harbor area on the lower west coast, and my personal favorite is the Steinhatchee area (upper west coast). However with colleges, and night life part of the equation, I can not speak to these attributes.

My spelling of the Indian names may require careful examination.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
you about to give up EU citizenship for US???....

Hope you know what you are getting into in Florida...

have you considered when moving, getting a job here? IMHO that should be your top priority unless you are rich...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM

509 posts, read 1,680,792 times
Deland is a very nice college town that is near Daytona and near the St. Johns river system. That's on the east coast. The middle gulf coast is pretty unspoiled and rural. You have places like Pensacola and Panama City in the Panhandle and then its pretty rural until you get down around
Tampa.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM

105 posts, read 214,353 times
Don't know if your price point is $700 or 700 Sterling but it is a bit low for even a nice place with two bedrooms. You will look at least $1000.00 for a two bedroom and that is prices over 10 years ago.

There is plenty of outdoors all over the state. You will not be shy of it anywhere you may decide to try your luck.

South Florida is hot, congested and very Latin. North Florida is cooler and very USA Southern. There are tons of adorable town to live in along the coast and inland. Lots of history and Tampa is a good city with a flair all it's own. Jacksonville is military, Gainsville is alright but a bit ummm well you'll have to see for yourself.

Tampa for you is my suggestion.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM

23 posts, read 142,871 times
Thanks a lot for the help especially for those broad region descriptions. Very helpful I looked up all of them. I realize 700 bucks is not much in Florida, but just can't afford anything much more yet still want to live in Florida. What I'm looking for is a decent 2bd house with a little garden or yard for my dog. Having that said I know I can't be expecting too great neighborhoods. I'm in my low 20's going to college and it's just gonna be me and I don't really care that much about the quality of the house if you know what I mean. It could be even rundown as long as I feel good in the place. I see on realtor.com that it's totally possible in various parts of FL, however basing solely on the site I have no idea about the surrounding area, so I try to look it up here on city-data.com city statistics. However my parents will be flying over occasionally every once in a while, mainly for the winter back home, that's why I want the house. We're from Poland and have dual citizenship. We're crazy on the hot weather and beautiful outdoors thing and basically that's what's drawing us to Florida. Especially beautiful woods, wildlife and swamps-like scenery. Now what I was reading about renting houses in US is that you need to show your income's three times the amount of your rent. Now that would be an issue for me, or is there a way to go around that? I mean I don't think those lower bracket houses would be such a big deal for that. As I way saying I looked into all of those places you wrote about. Thanks a lot, but please, If you could share some more about the towns that come to your mind. I am looking up each and every one. Somewhat affordable, close access to big city, and beautiful scenery not too far. Any more ideas and advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by jvc777; 03-25-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida